"Mad Men" -- *Final* Season Official Thread (possible spoilers) (part 2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Anybody else had a bad feeling about Roger the whole episode?

Dan C, Rufus McDufus and JimC like this.
  2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

God, I hope not.

3. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Well ain't that a bit of irony -- Lou Avery: the happiest person on the show!

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  4. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

I'll keep my review of last night's episode simple- WOW! A reminder of why, to me, this is the greatest television show of all time.

5. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

"The king ordered it'

DarkAudit and mindblanking like this.
  6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Between Ken and Lou not sure who is happier.

Good Peggy episode....

7. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

This is DEEPLY off topic... but if you also think... "poor guy... gave up the opportunity of a lifetime and went into obscurity and oblivion..." George Lazenby Net Worth: George Lazenby is an Australian actor and former model who has a net worth of $100 million. Born George Robert Lazenby on September 5, 1939, in Goulburn, New South Wales, Australia, he enjoyed worldwide fame for portraying James Bond in the 1969 film, On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Prior to becoming the now "forgotten Bond," George Lazenby was the highest-paid model in the world throughout the 1960's. He had the chance to reprise the iconic film role of superspy 007, Diamonds Are Forever in 1971, after which Roger Moore took over the part. Even though he performed in other films like Kentucky Fried Movie (1974), Master Ninja II (1984) and Fatally Yours (1995, with Roddy McDowall), Lazenby's acting career never flourished. Eventually, he turned to business and real estate investments that earned him spacious mansions in Hawaii, Brentwood, California, Australia, a ranch estate in Valyermo, California, as well as a port-side penthouse apartment in Hong Kong and an estate home in Maryland. As for his personal life, it includes two marriages and four children, one with his first wife Christina Gannett Lazenby and three with his second one, former tennis player Pam Shriver. Today, Lazenby enjoys practicing his numerous hobbies like sailing, motorcycle racing, car racing, reading, watching movies, and of course, playing golf and tennis.

8. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Best episode of the final 7 so far. Best scenes:

1) Peggy/Stan heart-to-heart
    2) Don/Roger at the bar
    3) McCann/SCP board room

The moment where Jim Hobart promises the important clients to all of the SCP partners with the exception of Joan is heartbreaking.

Dan C, Rufus McDufus and Hard Panner like this.
  9. alanb

alanb Senior Member

ehmmmm....so everybody is going up in the world - high $$$ accounts for all!

Who think Don is not going to want to coast along with coca cola?
    With only a few episodes left ...it seems to me that it is going to be about Don looking for meaning in his life and trying to find happiness which seems to have alluded him so far.

I think he is just going to walk away from it all into a California sunset and we are left to imaging Don Draper reinventing himself all over again, just how the whole thing began.

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm hoping for a Joan-Peggy-Stan creative team match up.

11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

This being 1970, I am pulling for a finale in which Don teaches the world to sing in 1971.
    About the most memorable ad campaign of all time, no?

It was done by McCann-Erickson for Coca Cola and first aired in July 1971.
    And it's totally Don's type of sentimental heart strings pitch ala Carousel.

What do I win if I nailed the finale?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  12. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Bingo ! - Good one.....not sure though.

13. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Best episode so far this year. Gonna re-watch it tonight before reading any recaps.

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

My admiration!

15. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

And Pete leaning against his door was reminiscent of Lane's end.

John K.

16. We skipped the light fandango
    Turned cartwheels cross the floor
    I was feeling kinda seasick
    But the crowd called out for more
    The room was humming harder
    As the ceiling flew away
    When we called out for another drink
    The waiter brought a tray

17. But would they credit Don with a campaign that was created by a real person?

18. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Good point.

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Maybe they would if they worked out a deal with Coca Cola that's going to have Coke relaunching the campaign on the finale. Mad Man has already used show characters in ads that air on the show, so it would not be unprecedented. Gotta think like a business man here.

20. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

The Lucky Strikes slogan "It's Toasted!" was real...

21. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

It was also their trade mark for something like 40 years before Don Draper supposedly came up with it.

Chad

22. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

And "Lane" (Jared Price) directed last night's episode.

I was also thinking that Diana might have ended it, but she did try to call Don at the answering service.....we don't know how new or old those messages were. It's ambiguous, as always, she might be dead or she may have just moved elsewhere.

Dan C and MMM like this.
  23. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

It's a nice idea and would make a clever ending but Matt Weiner has steadfastly refused to let his characters get personally involved with historical events, or if they do, they are mentioned in hindsight, not as they are happening. Plus, I don't see Don being either with McCann or in Advertising any longer by the end of the last episode. But you could be exactly right. We will have to wait and see...

PS-- How about if Peggy comes up with 'Teach The World To Sing' and casts Julio, Tammy, Kevin, Don's kids, and Roger's grandson to appear in it? :)

NorthNY Mark, Rufus McDufus and MMM like this.
  24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I remember when it looked like Peggy was going to come up with "You've come a long way, baby."

mmars982, EVOLVIST and MMM like this.
  25. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I'm hoping the next or final episode will be titled "We Finally Got This Season In Gear".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.