"Mad Men" -- *Final* Season Official Thread (possible spoilers) (part 2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

I liked the ending..pretty much what I expected from Weiner...ambiguous. I don't think it really matters whether Don created the Coke ad, after all he isn't a real person......I think his "enlightenment" is that he realizes that his life in advertising is not over despite declining tobacco accounts...he sees that there is a new generation to manipulate through his ideas. It was right around this time period that the movie and soundtrack to Woodstock was huge and big business in America realized that they could exploit the "youth" market. Behind the curve by a few years, but that's how most of America was back then.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And just to again mention the Coke "I'd Like to Teach the World" ad: here's a very thoughtful parody ad pointing out the terrible harm caused by sugar sodas over the years...

If the figures in the parody are correct, soft drink makers spend $1 billion a year just in advertising expenses. Pretty scary.

Mohojo, Dan C and RayS like this.
  3. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

No word on a series box set yet.

4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

What would be the point? My only complaint so far is that it does not include a pack of Luckys!

Simon A, BluesOvertookMe and Vidiot like this.
  6. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Because I have no use for what will probably be cheap glasses and flimsy coasters, plus a huge box that will take up too much space on my shelf. I'm interested in the show itself, not these novel trinkets.

thgord likes this.
  7. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I should have put a 'smiley'. I see no point in that stuff either. I wish some of my GD boxed sets had less of those trinkets (and took up less space).

Bryan likes this.
  8. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I wonder if they'll redo any of the menus for the earlier seasons. I remember season one's menu being very generic and "of its time" when I re-watched it a while ago. It was one of the earlier blu-rays, so it was very, "Hey look at all of these neat menu animations we can do now, with sound effects, too!"

They're finally including commentaries for season six, by the way.

9. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I heard the complete series boxed set would be $99 and include Marten Weiner coming to your house personally to provide a commentary track for the all the episodes he appeared in. For $199, you get the same boxed set but he DOESN'T come to your house.

BluesOvertookMe and jriems like this.
  10. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Nice!

11. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

That really tips the scales towards double-dip for me (Dammit!).

12. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Congrats to Jon on the Emmy. Kind of an off acceptance speech. Not sure if he's in a good place. Quite an emotional moment though, when he won, just thinking about the depth of his portrayal and the depth of the show in general. Really moving. Was hoping Christina and Elisabeth would win too, but no such luck.

Beatledust likes this.
  13. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

14. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Emmmmmmmmmmmm...my
    [​IMG]

15. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Right in the text it mentions a Blu-ray box. You can also find it if you search amazon. Blu-ray version is actually cheaper than the DVD in pre-order.

17. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

That is the blu-ray box.

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Been a tough several last months for him, but part of his awkward speech was probably more nerves than anything, and this might be the first time he's been at one of these deals supposedly sober, and that might not be very easy either.

alanb likes this.
  19. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Where? In the individual season 6 package or only in the series box?

20. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Only in the series box as far as I know.

21. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Congrat's to Jon.

He needs some good news right now.

22. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I didn't watch this show when it was originally aired, we saw it on Netflix and decided to give it a go. 7 seasons in 2 weeks later I'm suffering withdrawals. I ended up buying the second half of season 7, it's not on Netflix yet and we couldn't wait.

One of the best shows I've ever watched. I'm going with Don creating that Coke ad. Roger Sterling is one of the best characters ever on a TV show and this show is responsible for Bye Bye Birdie being stuck in my head for the last few weeks.

23. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

One more thing, I don't normally get emotional watching TV shows but the phone call Don had with Betty got to me.

MMM likes this.
  24. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

That was some damn fine acting. And writing.

Lord Summerisle likes this.
  25. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.