MAD MEN -- FINAL Season Official Thread (possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

He knows that they both ARE bad.

2. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

I so disagree...Don repairing his relationship with Sally was a huge plot point, and important development for the character. He was talking about "looking for love" from the ad agencies that were wooing him at lunch, and he unexpectedly found it in his personal life.

3. alanb

alanb Senior Member

He's always repairing with Sally - cos she calls him on his poopy!
    She is the one who he has been most honest with and that's great.
    Also she is the one that seems to catch him in a lie most of the time.
    I would not call it HUGE.

Not sure what the ad agency lunches where about - looked more like Don trying to pretend he was still in the world of advertising and giving his usual vague / cool answers when folks try to pin him down.

4. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

dunno . . . someone in his circumstance, seemed perfectly depicted--trying to maintain "confident Don of Old" and not appear too off-balance, while gathering data on other agencies IF he should need to seek opps elsewhere.

as to the "no action" thing, seeing Don like this is interesting in itself. how does he cope? where will he turn next? his wife? a co-worker? a one-off affair? it's rounding out the character.

Hard Panner likes this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I agree D.R., it's interesting to see Don in these circumstances.

Hard Panner likes this.
  6. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Thanks - I totally missed the point of that too; this show makes me feel so thick sometimes, with all its subtlety. All the same I prefer not to have it all spelled out for me.

I found this episode interesting in how we were given Sally's perspective as a child having to deal with a father that misrepresents himself, that is constantly lying and cheating (while at the same time she was feigning sorrow for her friends mother and taking an opportunity to get some shopping done in the city). Honesty and forgiveness seemed to work well, for this episode at least.

The diner scene was also an interesting parallel to the scene in the first episode when Sterling's daughter forgave him during their brunch. Sterling's daughter is older than Sally and hers was more of a staged performance (she even seemed a bit brainwashed); and Sterling wasn't at all ready to admit he had done anything wrong, unlike Don. Interesting difference in setting also - fancy new york restaurant and bloody marys versus roadside diner with soda, french fries and patty melts.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  7. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I love this show! I didn't start watching until the 3rd season then played catch-up with the DVDs. I'll miss it as much as any show I ever loved. Repeated viewings yield multiple rewards.

Dee Zee likes this.
  8. Lonson

I saw the "skipping the check" bit as a ploy to subtly let Sally see that they are both rascals and have that in common, to make her an accomplice in the dodge that didn't happen. And it worked at forming a new bond.

9. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I'm OK with that, her story lines don't do much for me.

10. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

11. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

What a great episode. The developments with Don & Sally were really important and well-done. It's moments like these that remind me of how great Hamm is in this role.

13. Hard Panner

The episode of 'That Girl' that Don was watching: 'There Was a Time Ann Met a Pie Man' from season 3. Check out that airdate, February 13, 1969!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0918241/

dirwuf likes this.
  14. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

I know the actor/comedian who plays Lou. I don't think he's very good in this.. stiff... real stiff.

15. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I thought Lou Avery was supposed to be sort of stiff, very creative yet not very personal.

ad180 likes this.
  16. mindblanking

There's stiff character and then there's just not very good acting. In this case it's both.

17. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Some friend you are!

Ed Hughes and Hard Panner like this.
  18. Hard Panner

I thought the same thing. Thinking he is supposed to come off that way.

19. mindblanking

Said I knew him. Didn't say friend.

20. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Some acquaintance you are!

21. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Having with (not for) several ad agencies, I think any agency larger than 10 people needs a guy like Lou to keep his hands on the wheel. Frankly, to tamp down unjustified enthusiasm from creatives who would otherwise run into the mirror, being dazzled by their own genius. Lots of turnovers in agencies (which the program authentically reflects, even to the point of losing key characters) and, imo, any good agency is a volatile place, the tension oscillating between a few truly talented creatives, some who overestimate their creativity (and do have the occasional bright idea (but even a blind nut can be found by a dumb squirrel), and the rest who are there to support that creativity (under the guise of servicing the client).

Lonson likes this.
  22. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

(what)?

sparkydog likes this.
  23. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Thought the last half of tonights episode was really good.

Pat

24. Lonson

I don't get Betty.

Wow, I didn't expect Don to say okay to that deal.

25. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

I'm wondering why he agreed to those conditions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.