MAD MEN -- Season FIVE Official Thread....

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chip TRG, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Peggy

<<<<<<<Dude, I think you need to come to grips that the Peggy character has run its course. It's time to move onto other characters and other plots...there have been enough (too many, IMHO) featuring Peggy.

As far as focusing on the competion between Dons agency and Peggys new agency, I dont see it. That would be too predictable , too formula, and Weiner is known for not doing that in his shows.

We have probably seen the last of the Pegster.

2. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Same here. I thought Peggy was one of the more interesting characters. Megan, on the other hand, doesn't really interest me although she is much more interesting than the Betty character.

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I saw that this morning. I really was wondering how Jag felt about this story line. It has not been the least bit flattering! From the Jag exect whose wife found chewing gum on his pubes, to the constant trashing of their reliability to this disgusting POS creep Joan ended up dealing with.

I admire them for playing it cool and respecting the intelligence of the audience. I can't help but think that at least some execs aren't feeling quite as calm behind the scenes though. :)

dan c

4. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

That's my feeling for the most part. I wouldn't be surprised if she showed up again, but certainly not as a central character and not in this season.

I almost had a lump in my throat during that scene with Don. It was so quietly emotional. Her look and smile back at the office before getting into the elevator, that was amazing.

So remember when Don looked at the empty elevator shaft earlier in the season? That sprung to mind as Peg waited. I didn't really think she would fall to her death of course, but Peg left in an elevator. She leaves a void in Don's professional life. Connection?

dan c

5. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Peggy has so much back story, I can't see them tossing the character away. I think that Megan is a much more interesting character than Betty ever was.

Come to grips? Why? Did Matthew Weiner tell you she is not coming back? I expressed *my opinion* of what I'd like to see happen - stories involving the two agencies. Not what I thought might happen.

Oh, and seriously? You used the word "dude"?

6. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

Don looks inside the elevator and sees the shaft is empty. It's a long way down. Peggy gets in the elevator as light emanates from behind its doors. She's on her way up.

Perhaps a harbinger of things to come. Love it.

7. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

dude

>>>>LOL, Dude, I dont think one has to be a rocket scientist to know that we arent going to be seeing much of Peggy any more, regardless of our opinions, thats all.

8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I don't suppose it's a coincidence that Sal and Freddy had roles in the episode where Peggy left...

9. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

10. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

But a rocket scientist would know Weiner likes writing this character and is likely the reason Moss has retained second billing since the show's inception. Unless Moss has asked to leave, I would imagine Peggy will continue to play a role in Mad Men either at the agency or at a competing one. IMHO of course.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You know, there were a lot of upheavals in ad agencies during the late 1960s. Maybe Peggy's new agency will do a surprise takeover of Don's agency. Maybe there'll be a merger. Either way, I think she won't be out of the show for long, and I think they will be back together -- with Peggy given a huge promotion. Heck, I'd pay money just to see here as Pete's boss.

12. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Fantastic episode. This show, and these people, are so real and true to life.

Also, it will be a real crime if Jon Hamm doesn't win an Emmy this year. What a powerfully nuanced performance Jon gave in this episode, and has all year.

13. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Where was Sal in the episode?

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I just don't see the show going this route.

15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't see that either, except perhaps as a final ending, the nail in the coffin to the firm, Cooper and Sterling being squeezed out, Don marginalized, etc.

As for how this show develops, I think the real "ticking time bomb" in the series is Pete's knowledge of Don's fake identity. I can easily see Don and Pete on a collision course and in a power struggle, and we know Pete would not hesitate to do anything that suits his purposes.

And the other "ticking time bomb" is Lane's fiscal maneuver we saw him undertake a few episodes ago. This can have serious repercussions.

This season has gone an unexpected route for me. Don and Megan are coping reasonably well, Megan is using the resources Don has to offer to both be a good companion to Don and follow her own path, slowly and surely, and Don has been compromising and growing in his seemingly sincere desire to have a life with Megan. I didn't really anticipate this path. Peg has flowered and is now seeking her own destiny. Ginsberg is in place to both do good and bad (I really don't like the guy but he was a good shot in the arm for the series). And Pete has increased in his douchiness tremendously! Exciting changes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.