MAD MEN -- Season SIX Official Thread (part2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Forum Resident

I would guess there's a legal reason for this. Like Jon Hamm's contract says he'll do one more season and defines a season as 12-14 episodes but doesn't require them to be aired in an individual year.

2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I was wrong thinking they would be filmed all together.

3. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I think it was already confirmed that they're filming them all together. I believe it was in a NY Times article. So AMC is going to actually sit on the final seven episodes for a year. Incredible!

4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

5. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

6. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Hard Panner likes this.
  7. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Hard Panner likes this.
  8. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

alanb likes this.
  9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Picked up season six on BD yesterday! :righton:

I look forward to catching up and then reading the discussion here.

10. tommy-thewho

I would love for Roger and Joan to end up together...

11. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Eww!

12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

13. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Hard Panner likes this.
  14. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Just finished catching up via BD last night. (Which by the way, inexplicably has no commentary tracks, compared to the five previous seasons which often had multiple commentaries for each episode!)

It's still a great show, but did anyone else feel like this season seemed sort of aimless compared to past ones? Every previous season felt more like it was building up to something, and by the time the second-to-last episode was through, you were on the edge of your seat to see what would happen in the season finale. Not really so with this season, in my opinion.

One immediate nitpick: I know Pete kinda hated his mother, but didn't it seem like he let Bob off a little too lightly over what happened to her??

"You might have murdered my mother... get your own cab!", and that was about it.

It's one thing to allow a guy to connive his way to the top of the business, but to basically turn a blind eye to possible murder?? Doesn't make sense to me.

Bob also seemed to ignore Roger's warning to stay away from Joan. Being gay, what is Bob's angle with Joan, anyways? Just more schmoozing?

15. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

I was majorly pissed when I realized that this was the case. Matt Weiner always provided very lively and interesting audio tracks on every single episode...until this set. There were always multiple commentaries for each episode, yet they decided to shine it on entirely this time. The cost of the set was still at a premium, yet this what we are given is a scaled down package. Why do I have a feeling they were holding back the commentaries for the inevitable Mad Men "The Don" series box set to be released after the finale in 2015.

16. tommy-thewho

Christina's husband is a lucky man....

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Christmas Day gorged myself watching MM6 BD. Anti climatic sixth series, pop with no fizz.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  18. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Agreed. Mad Men 6 quality took a fall from previous seasons.

19. alexpop

My season ratings MM1 =10 MM2=10 the rest of the seasons around a 8/9 cept season 6 which I'd give a 7/8. Anticipating the remaining 14 episodes (2014/2015 ) are going to be corkers with a feel good last episode. Jon Hamm would be good in a remake of Seconds. Or perhaps a Harry O reboot.

20. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I agree, season six felt a bit aimless.

21. tommy-thewho

I'm guessing 6 was to show Don at his worst and slowly climb back up

22. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

If so, did they have to have the season be at its worst to mirror Don's troubles? Season 6 was the worst so far, IMHO. Looking forward to season 7 climbing back up.

23. alexpop

Series 5 had a great end episode. Season 7/8 Robert Towne is helping writing the script. Shazam !!!!

24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

I agree, but there were some absolutely sublime moments in season 6. Namely Hamm's acting after Sally's "discovery".

I, for one, also really loved the lighthearted & drug-fueled episode. It was hilarious to have some comic relief. John Hamm really pours his heart into Draper.

alexpop likes this.
  25. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

The Mrs. and I have finally caught up with Mad Men. I thought Seasons 4-5 were the high water mark, and 6 was a major comedown.

I have a lot of issues with Season 6. The whole Bob Benson/Manolo/Pete's mom triangle just seems ridiculously contrived...and whether or not Bob has knowledge or was in cahoots about it, why does Pete let him survive at SC&P? Pete going to California seems to come out of the blue as well. Sally's discovery seemed like it would kick things into high gear. Then...nothing. Betty's deal with the neighbor daughter/violinist at the beginning of the season was also flat, and her suggestion to let Henry fool around with said daughter was out of left field, and never revisited in any form.

I could go on. Hoping 7 rights the ship.

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.