MAD RIVER-most psychedelic rock band? Close but pretty amazing stuff still.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I have the first album. Listened to it once and put it back on the shelf. Maybe I should revisit it.

2. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The Fallen Angels were usually awesome live. Bassist Jack Bryant was the coolest-looking cat in Wheaton, Maryland
    when I was a high school brat there in 1968. I ditched my Jim McGuinn shades and went out and got a pair of Ray-Ban
    wraparounds because he wore those on stage (and off).

3. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

Wow, thanks, hadn't heard of the last 2. Will listen...

4. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I own the first album on CD. I bought it for 3€ in a sale years after I first read a review of it (in 1994) and was totally intrigued. The name of the band stuck in my head.

Not necessarily my kind of psychedelia by default (i'm more into british sounding psychedelia, poppier stuff, think "Nuggets 2", not Quicksilver Messenger Service, West Coast "acid" jams) and I ended up loving this album. I love how dark and twisted it is. I hear some Sonic Youth in "War Goes On" more than a decade before their first release.Even the last song, "Hush Julian" is beautiful and unsettling at the same time for a lullaby.

Also there's this crazy story of the album not being mastered at the correct speed (the final album coming out faster and higher than what was played) and there's apparently a version that was corrected? Which version is it, is it a CD or a LP? "Amphetamine Gazelle" does sound incredibly fast, and I don't even know if it's a speed corrected version or not. Or are all the versions after the first pressing corrected?
    (I checked, I own a reissue on Edsel from 2000).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Lightworker likes this.
  5. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Really worth picking up:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lightworker and lemonade kid like this.
  6. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I assume the Mad River tracks are a needle drop?

7. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

Mad River I love them, Quicksilver Messenger Service sound

8. Mixfo

Mixfo Forum Resident

Both Mad River albums are essential 60's listening. The essence of their sound was Lawrence Hammond's amazing vocals and David Robinson's dramatic and emotional lead guitar work. They come together perfectly on 'Eastern Light' (on the first album), which to me is a classic track of the 60's.

The BGO two-fer CD release is the best I've heard so far.

fairies and lemonade kid like this.
  9. Barolojoe

Barolojoe Forum Resident

´
    Together with 'Electric Music For The Mind And Body' from Country Joe & The Fish plus 'After Bathing At Baxter's' from Jefferson Airplane plus the Doors first album (all three released in 1967), the first Mad River LP from 1968 has always been my favorite Westcoast & Psychedelic Rock LP. (The Quicksilver debut, also from 1968, is my personal number five).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

................................. [​IMG]

fairies, SquaRoots, ganma and 4 others like this.
  10. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

NICE!

11. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Is the Edsel vinyl version sped up.

12. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

[​IMG]

'Mad River' by Mad River. This is a Sundazed vinyl re-master. Mad River was an American psychedelic rock band. A record of it's time that's for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.