Made in Holland - The Dutch Music Thread (discussion about Dutch songs)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Echo, Sep 13, 2017.

1. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Hey, what's happening here?! Shocking (hopefully not... blue....ooops!)

ARK likes this.
  2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Living Blues - Another cool Dutch band.

3. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Noisefreq1 likes this.
  4. Pjotr into Music

Pjotr into Music Don't be afraid to play this LOUD

Nadieh -windforce 11
    I have always liked this song. Sadly she died very young due to a pulmonary embolism.

5. Pjotr into Music

Pjotr into Music Don't be afraid to play this LOUD

I am Dutch but live close to Germany so i dare to post ; )

Besides being a great fan of Bettie Serveert , one of my faves is the Nits with "Ting". Beatles-like quality throughout and a great test disc for your audio system.

ChrisEfterklang, drum_cas and elgreco like this.
  6. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

Can we do Belgium next? I'm really out of the loop down south.

ARK and kanakaris like this.
  7. Echo

Echo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hmmm,... T.C. Matic, Jacques Brel, Hooverphonic, dEUS, Front 242, Plastic Bertrand, Jo Lemaire + Flouze, K's Choice, 2 Many DJ's,....not bad.

But please don't ask me to start that thread, I learned my lesson. :D

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Baidur, riskylogic and mr_spenalzo like this.
  8. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I'm a little afraid to post in this thread, as I don't want to incur the ALL CAPS wrath of the OP if it I get it wrong, but what the hell...:)

We've been spending the summers in Holland for the last dozen or so years, so have had plenty of time investigate a bunch of things. One of the first memories I have is going into a record store in the Jordaan (a neighborhood in Amsterdam) - mostly a rock store - and asking the 40 year old (or so) guy to tell us - Americans - about records that we might not know about, Dutch bands. The funny thing was that he reeled off a half dozen things under the guise of "well of course you know about these," and of course I hadn't heard of a single one (don't remember any aside from The Outsiders). He looked shocked and I've always remembered how funny it was, that he thought that people outside the Netherlands knew anything beyond Golden Earring and Focus. So I think the initial post assumes that there's some sort of deep knowledge of Dutch music outside of Holland and I think that, for the most part, that's just not the case.

That said, I've really dug the Outsiders, Q65, Ramses Shaffy, Louis van Dijk (the late 60s, early 70s records), and a few others. Of more current people, I like Benny Sings - although the videos are mostly terrible (as seen below), the records are pretty fun.

Baidur, royzak2000 and Echo like this.
  9. Echo

Echo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Look what that dangerous OP did, he 'liked' you!

My intention was just (!!) what you said: Dutch music is not very known abroad and many international friends of mine, were saying exactly the same. That's why I tried to start a serious (!) thread about Dutch pop/rock gems, but failed miserably.... (and yes, by my own mistake)

See also #71

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  10. wadenits

wadenits Forum Resident

I’m really into Dutch music going back to the late 60s early 70s and have kept aware of the Dutch music scene since. First time I saw Golden Earring was in the UK pre Moontan supporting Alex Harvey Band. They were using the Who’s quadraphonic PA system so both bands sounded amazing. Rinus Gerritsen’s bass solo in quadraphonic sound was something else. Also seen many other Dutch bands during this period, Focus, Ekseption, Solution etc

I’m a big fan of the Nits since the 80s and have seen them in concert many times. A massive talent is songwriter and multi instrumentalist Jett Rebel. Both these artists would have worldwide fame if they came from the USA or UK. Next month my friend and I are flying to the Netherlands to see Jett Rebel and Nits in concert

ChrisEfterklang likes this.
  11. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Love this thread. Very insightful. Reminds me of the Seinfeld discussion about Holland. Hopefully we can keep it going into double figures.

12. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

<3

AndrewK likes this.
  13. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I won't be satisfied until Jerney Kaagman shows up here.

14. mr_spenalzo

Alright another one...

John Fell likes this.
  15. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

You even have Jett Rebel as your avatar! :edthumbs:

I'll join you in saying he's a great, great artist. Basically look up his live concerts on YouTube, as anything live is much better than his studio albums.

16. mr_spenalzo

My wife's obsessed with Oscar & the Wolf

17. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

This is my fave record that was made in Holland:

[​IMG]

Yorick and somnar like this.
  18. mr_spenalzo

I prefer

[​IMG]

do we count these as Dutch songs?

sound chaser likes this.
  19. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

20. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

22. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

And I would prefer this:

[​IMG]

but now we're really going off the deep end.......

23. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Let's not go that way. Half the world recorded in Wisseloord Studios. Including The Police, ELO, OMD and Telly Savalas.

24. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Tim Knol did some interesting solo stuff and collaborations; this one hasn't even got 5,000 views

25. mr_spenalzo

People always ask if I'm related... same surname... but half of Twente is a Knol.