Madonna album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aseriesofsneaks, Jan 12, 2017.

1. filip_kbh

filip_kbh Forum Resident

Messiah is indeed one of the most beautiful songs released by Madonna ever. The version that ended up being released is however not my preferred version. There is another mix with live strings on it that is much more beautiful.

2. PsychedelicWheelz

PsychedelicWheelz Forum Resident

This album is so 80s that it makes the rest of the 80s look like the 70s. I mean this as a high compliment. The opening to “I Know It” sounds like the background score to every 80s cartoon series.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  3. ascot

ascot Senior Member

We are just a few days away from the 35th Anniversary of Madonna's self-titled debut album! When I realized this last month I began putting together my own deluxe edition. I am quite happy with how this turned out. The base LP is taken from the 180g vinyl reissue, which is quite nice, and the bonus tracks from the best vinyl source I have. The 180g pressing uses the full-length 12" version of "Everybody" just like the 2001 CD remaster.

Disc 1

1. Lucky Star
    2. Borderline
    3. Burning Up
    4. I Know It
    5. Holiday
    6. Think Of Me
    7. Physical Attraction
    8. Everybody

BONUS TRACKS

9. Ain't No Big Deal
    10. Everybody [Single Version]
    11. Everybody (Instrumental Version)
    12. Physical Attraction [Single Version]
    13. Holiday [Single Version]
    14. Borderline [Single Version]
    15. Lucky Star [Single Version]

Disc 2

1. Everybody [U.K. Single Version]
    2. Everybody [U.K. Single Dub Version]
    3. Burning Up [Single Version]
    4. Everybody (Dub Version)
    5. Burning Up (12" Version)
    6. Borderline (New Mix) a.k.a. "U.S. Remix"
    7. Borderline (Instrumental) a.k.a. "Dub Remix"
    8. Lucky Star (New Mix)
    9. Everybody [U.K. 12" Version]
    10. Everybody [U.K. 12" Dub Version]
    11. Burning Up [Original LP Version]

4. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I wasn't sure where to put this so I'll throw it in this thread. :) I put together a little shootout looking for the best-sounding version of Madonna's debut album. I compared four sources: the original CD taken from a Japanese made-for-the-U.S. disc, the original Japanese vinyl LP, the 2001 CD remaster and the 180g vinyl remaster. All of the "A" samples are from the same source, the "B" samples are from the same source, etc. Can you figure out which is which and what mastering do you prefer?

"Lucky Star"

Sample A
    Sample B
    Sample C
    Sample D

"Borderline"

Sample A
    Sample B
    Sample C
    Sample D

"Holiday"

Sample A
    Sample B
    Sample C
    Sample D

Interested to hear your thoughts. :righton:

GreenDrazi likes this.
  5. monsterjazzlicks

monsterjazzlicks Holly~wuud!

Hi folks,

Same as Ascot above, I am thinking it wisest to post my question within this thread (Moderators please feel free to relocate otherwise).

I have just purchased and ripped the CD "MDNA". I am in the process of tagging it now.

I am seeking to find correct information on where each track was recorded. There are not many studios involved actually; but still, I do need some clarification, please.

The tracks I am looking to fill are 1, 3, 9, 10 & 12:

"I'm Addicted"

"Some Girls"

"I'm a Sinner"

"Love Spent"

"Falling Free"
    There are mentions of studios on various websites, but at the same time these seem to conflict with other sources. I have also tried to glean such info from the CD liner-notes, but to be honest the font, size and shade make the text extremely difficult for me to read.

As always, many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here.

Best,

Paul

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Does the CD have any liner notes besides song titles and legal junk? :cry:

I would look to the writer/producer of each track and their base of operation. Discogs.com also has some info on some of the releases such as this release.

monsterjazzlicks likes this.
  7. monsterjazzlicks

Hi GreenDrazi,

Thanks a lot. That's very helpful (the Discogs link). I should be able to compile something from this.

Yes, there is two whole pages of liner-notes offering Producer, Mixer, Engineer, etc. But it's in small white text on a contrasting multi-coloured background. It's almost as if they deliberately made it impossible to read! In saying that, younger fans - ie. with 20/20 vision - may not see this as an issue.

Cheers,

Paul

8. GreenDrazi

Try scanning the liner notes (or taking a photo) and then enlarge the image on your computer.

9. monsterjazzlicks

Hi,

RE: Discogs page:

I am really not sure what all of the notations (1-1, 1-4, etc) mean, please?

[Recording] Studios:
    Tracks 1-1 to 2-4: MSR Studios, NYC
    Tracks 1-1, 1-4, 1-5, 1-8, 2-1: Sarm West Studios, London
    Tracks 1-6, 1-9, 1-10, 1-12: Guerilla Strip, London, England
    Track 1-10: Free School, Noho, CA
    Track 1-10: Studio At The Palms, Las Vegas, NV
    Track 1-11: 3:20 Studios, Los Angeles, CA
    Live Strings on 2-1 & 2-2 recorded at Studio Ferber, Paris
    I mean, in the first line, why not just list as:

Tracks 1-4: MSR Studios, NYC
    And in line two it states:

2-1 ??!
    Many thanks.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. GreenDrazi

The Deluxe Edition has two CD's.

11. monsterjazzlicks

GreenDrazi,

Yes, I could try that tomorrow. I had not thought of doing that. The CD only arrived this afternoon and so I was preoccupied with ripping it first.

Cheers.

12. monsterjazzlicks

DAMN, I wish I had known of it's existence as I would have bought this version instead of the 12 x tracks release!

13. monsterjazzlicks

In that case, TRACK 10 must have been recorded in THREE different studios?:

Guerilla Strip, London, England
    Free School, Noho, CA
    Studio At The Palms, Las Vegas
    I think that would be correct?

Thanks.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. GreenDrazi

She used more than one producer on some songs. Or would go into a different studio to update a track.

sunspot42 and monsterjazzlicks like this.
  15. monsterjazzlicks

Cheers.

I managed to get all of the Producers etc sorted in my tagging earlier on thanks. I'll scan and examine the liner-notes also tomorrow.

Do you own this CD yourself?

16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It hasn't been uncommon in decades for cuts to be recorded in two or more studios.

Dusty Springfield famously went to Memphis to record Dusty In Memphis back in '68, and while I think the basic rhythm tracks were laid down there, I recall Jerry Wexler saying that Dusty didn't sing a note at American Sound Studios - she was too intimidated.

Her final vocals were subsequently cut in New York, I think along with the rest of the arrangements including orchestras.

In this era of ProTools and digital files, it's become even easier to assemble albums from sessions recorded all over the place. It can make tracking down the physical origins of an individual track virtually impossible. Especially for acts like Bjork, who might be heavily reliant on samples recorded in the field or god knows where (orchestras cut in India, etc.).

Hep Alien and monsterjazzlicks like this.
  17. monsterjazzlicks

Thanks a lot SunSpot,

I don't actually have that many 'pop' CDs to be honest; mostly 'classical' and 'jazz'. The vast majority of the latter tend to be recorded in one location for obvious musical reasons. But as you say, with 'pop' and DAWs, the sky's the limit. Luckily I don't own any Bjork, with regards to potential 'tagging' upheavals!

There is a Bill Laswell album "Panthalassa" in which he exclusively uses samples/loops/material from Miles Davis's 1970s era:

For each track, I only listed the studio (Greenport Studio, New York) in which Bill Laswell used to make the album (ie. not the individual Columbia studio rooms [eg. A,B,C, etc] where Miles recorded each individual track).

Best,

Paul

Hep Alien and 7MusicFan6 like this.
  18. monsterjazzlicks

Hi,

It appears that track 10 - "Love Spent" - was recorded in 4 studios!:

Free School, California / Guerilla Strip, London / MSR Studios, New York / Studio At The Palms, Las Vegas.
    Paul

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. monsterjazzlicks

Hi,

I am just ripping my "Confessions On A Dancefloor" Madonna CD:

Is Stuart Price's studio (it's listed as 'Shirland Road') in LONDON, please?

Many thanks,

Paul

20. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

Uggh!!!! Even after having the "You Can Dance" cd since it first came out I never noticed what sounds like either a tape glitch or sloppy editing in "Where's The Party" at both times the chorus starts (@ 1:38 and 2:19). There is a slight, almost inaudible jump/drag during the word "Where's" (it is most noticeable on the 2:19 chorus) (best heard through headphones).It is also present on the single edit. I only noticed it because I recently got the "Route 88" cd which features a longer version of this remix where the glitch is even more noticeable (it almost sounds like the song digitally "skips" a second to the chorus) and was going to use the "YCD" album version to edit it out. Unfortunately-now that I've heard it, I can't not hear it. RUINED!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  21. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Happy 35th Anniversary to Like A Virgin! Released November 12, 1984.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hep Alien and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  22. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I put together my own 35th Anniversary edition using the 2012 remaster and vintage vinyl. The last two songs on disc 2 are from a 12" single released in some South American countries. The mixes contain three songs each sourced from vinyl.

DISC 1

1. Material Girl
    2. Angel
    3. Like A Virgin
    4. Over And Over
    5. Love Don't Live Here Anymore
    6. Dress You Up
    7. Shoo-Bee-Doo
    8. Pretender
    9. Stay

BONUS TRACKS

10. Gambler
    11. Crazy For You
    12. Into The Groove
    13. Crazy For You (Single Version)
    14. Angel (Single Version)
    15. Angel (Dance Mix Edit)
    16. Dress You Up (Remix/Edit)

DISC 2

1. Like A Virgin (Extended Dance Remix)
    2. Material Girl (Extended Dance Remix)
    3. Angel (Extended Dance Mix)
    4. Dress You Up (The 12" Formal Mix)
    5. Gambler (Extended Dance Mix)
    6. Dress You Up (The Casual Instrumental Mix)
    7. Gambler (Instrumental Remix)
    8. Madonna Mix 1
    9. Madonna Mix 2

23. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

I just wish that Madonna would allow them to release something like this. Its not just that M is under-compiled, theres no real archival stuff at all. Its so sad that there aren't updated complete singles sets, deluxe editions of her greatest albums at least [although I think it should be all of them] - perhaps at least something like the Pet Shop Boys Further Listening series. Its beyond ridiculous that there isn't a proper live concert DVD/Blu-ray of the Blonde Ambition tour etc. Oh well... I wonder if it will ever happen!

24. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I'm late to the party but wanted to say that Erotica is for me her best album and a great atmospheric recording.

25. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

THIS!!!! It's so ridiculous when artists like Bananarama, Belinda Carlisle can have releases like this but not Madonna :(

Hep Alien, sunspot42 and OberonOz like this.