Madonna - Ray Of Light. It’s 20 years old! Update: 25 years old!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Released 2nd March 1998. I was at work that day and shot into town at lunchtime to pick it up. Frozen was #1 that week and the album had already received great reviews. Easily the best since Like A Prayer (nearly) 10 years before.

I wasn’t so convinced that the old boot had suddenly become all spiritual and caring, but the music and album artwork were amazing! To be fair, it took a few plays to resonate, but once it did there were at least half a dozen songs that were amongst the best she’d ever done.

So, did you buy it? Do you think it’s aged well? Is it missing the guest rappers whom Madonna would take to heart a few years after?! Do tell!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

qtrules, Jarleboy, head_unit and 29 others like this.
  2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

WOW!! 20 years. I'll spin the cd tonight. Break the neighbors chops.

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Remember when Ray Of Light was in a commercial for Windows XP?

4. Bobby Morrow

I don’t. There must be tons of Ray Of Light related stuff out there.

5. MikaelaArsenault

6. MikaelaArsenault

I don't remember it either.

Jarleboy, MDNA4ever and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

It's one of her best albums. Sounded great at first, and still does.

8. Bobby Morrow

Jarleboy and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. MikaelaArsenault

Anytime. :)

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

Took a couple of plays for me, but I knew it was special after that. It seems to be the last genuinely well thought of Madonna LP.

Jarleboy, linclink, sunspot42 and 4 others like this.
  11. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

great album, one of her best

Perry James and Bobby Morrow like this.
  12. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

Frozen is one of her best.

13. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

I don't really like any Madonna albums after Like a Prayer, but I make an exception for this one. It's great. Kudos to William Orbit.

garrincha, linclink, willy and 5 others like this.
  14. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

I don't own it (I'm trying to keep her as strictly an 80's artist) but it is one of her better albums.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  15. zen

zen Senior Member

Key moment in her history.
    The album made Madonna sound like she'd be aging gracefully from this point forward.
    It was the last Madonna album my wife bought. She was a fan from the olden days.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  16. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Yep. Loved it immediately. When "Music" came out I initially thought it was even better but time has proven Ray Of Light to be the better one.

tmtomh and Bobby Morrow like this.
  17. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Well, you're doing better than I! One of the few songs I have enjoyed by Madonna were two song used as soundtracks in films. "Live to tell" (Patrick Leonard/Madonna). "This Used to Be My Playground." (Pettibone/Madonna). Though I do enjoy them both.

18. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

I was only a very casual Madonna fan (still am), but the lead single from this album really resonated with me, so I took a chance and bought it. I'm a rock and metal-head, but this album floored me. I just love it, nearly every song is top notch (except Shanti), and there is a wonderful flow to the album that makes it a compelling full disc listen every time. The writing seems intensely personal, and though I once owned True Blue, I've not bought anything of hers before or since. Nor do I really own any other electronica, unless you'd call Moby that.

To me, it is a rare singular achievement of an artist who hit a second peak. Too bad the momentum was wasted. I couldn't even listen to the single for Music....

19. 905

905 Senior Member

I didn't become a fan until about five years ago, but after only one listen to Ray of Light it became one of my favorite albums.

20. Bobby Morrow

Excellent post. That really sums it up.

linclink and When In Rome like this.
  21. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

Ray Of Light was the first Madonna album I ever listened to in its entirety, and geeze was I ever impressed. I know she had gone through different phases in the early-to-mid 90's that I don't remember caring for, but Ray Of Light really struck me for some reason. Maybe it was something as simple as hearing (for the first time, really) how well she can actually sing without any instruments carrying her along. Whatever the case may be, I like almost every song on the album and that is something I never imagined, having grown up on an almost exclusive diet Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Ted Nugent and Van Halen in the 70's and then all the hair bands in the 80's. One of my very favorite songs from the album:

This album had me going back and checking out her entire catalogue and I found SO much more great music than just what was on her Immaculate Collection cd. I was never into her social or political statements, but I have a new-found appreciation for her music as well as her vocals. She really can sing!

22. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

I think it was a perfect reinvention album. Still love it 20 years on (20 years! OMG!)

23. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

" there is a wonderful flow to the album that makes it a compelling full disc listen every time."
    This!

24. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

I was just reading that she did a lot of vocal lessons before Evita to be sure she would do that role justice. That was a large contributing factor to the breadth and depth of her range on this album. Just the last chorus on Ray of Light alone does vocal gymnastics I would never have previously thought her capable of. There's a euphoria in that song that is simply infectious.

25. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

I never thought about that before (probably because the album IS perhaps sequenced to near-perfection) but that might be one reason this album is so easy to listen to -- and like!

That, to me anyway, illustrates how important something as simple as song sequencing on an album can be. It does make a difference. Sometimes a big difference.