Madonna True Blue Poll. Pick Your Favourites & Discuss.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Apr 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. konajinx

konajinx Forum Resident

My least favorite of her '80s albums. I voted for "Live to Tell." Never liked the rest of the album.

ippudo and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

The title song was my girlfriend and I's "song" in 11th grade. It was current then. Strange because neither of us was a Madonna fan at the time.

Then I met the girl who eventually became my wife and she loved Madonna. She found out what "True Blue" meant to me before and so she has never liked that song.

The the compilation The Immaculate Collection came out later and did NOT have that song included. It's fate and proves I ended up with the right woman.

"True Blue" is still my favorite song on the album, but don't tell my wife.

3. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I’ve now listened to the non singles for the first time in a long time. I have to say Jimmy Jimmy has not aged well! The rest - it was a really strong album Agree that the original disc sounds great on my very ordinary system.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I like this album but don't love most of it. Open Your Heart is my favourite by far. Great video too. I can listen to the rest and enjoy it, but I much prefer Madonna and Like A Virgin before it and Like A Prayer after it. I do love the sleeve and it is a fantastic sounding LP.

My sister used to play the True Blue album a lot while I was playing Iron Maiden, Queen, Metallica and other Heavy Metal on the other side of the wall. I always liked a lot of Madonna's singles too. She was a phenomenal pop star.

5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I’m alright with Like Virgin until it gets to Love Don’t Live Here Anymore and that Shoo Be Doo thing! They kind of spoil the album for me.

Similarly the atrocious Love Song on Like A Prayer!

True Blue has nothing on it that makes me grit my teeth. That counts for something.:)

6. Bobby Morrow

Dear old @JohnnyQuest, who used to post here, loved Jimmy Jimmy and counted it as one of his favourite Madonna songs. Bless him.

:D

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  7. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

It's a great album, she's done better since but it still stands by itself.

White Heat is very underrated imo, her performance of it on the 'Who's That Girl' tour made me a fan.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Totally agree with Love Don't Live Here Anymore. Dreadful. I can live with Shoo Be Doo.

While admitting it's a bit crap, I've always liked Love Song. I do agree there are no howlers on True Blue.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  9. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

'Live To Tell' and 'Papa Don't Preach' are in the lead understandably but all the albums singles were strong.

Also the album cover is iconic as f***.

10. Quim

Quim Forum Resident

I also love those 3 songs!!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Madonna’s best album sleeve. Lots to love on here. Madge at her most accessible. Sounds dated now, but that’s no bad thing.

12. Bobby Morrow

Agree about the album cover.

Though Herb Ritts recycled a lot of his ideas.

[​IMG]

sunspot42, John Adam, DirkM and 2 others like this.
  13. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Live To Tell, my alltime favourite Madonna single. Just stunning. Remember when it was released, watching the video on Top of the Pops. Just great.

I didnt buy True Blue itself until last year, picked up the blue vinyl version, what a great album.

14. Bobby Morrow

Smash Hits weren’t that keen on it...Though they liked it more than the Samantha Fox album.:)

[​IMG]

SITKOL'76 and DirkM like this.
  15. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I remember liking the whole thing when I had the cassette back in '86-'87, but once I moved on to CDs, this one never made the cut. Still like all of the singles, and Live to Tell still stands as one of the three finest songs she's ever done (tied for 1st with Like a Prayer and Ray of Light).

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  16. John54

John54 Senior Member

I'm going along with the crowd on this one: Live to Tell and Papa Don't Preach. If I had to pick one more, the title track.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

My favorites from this album are:

Live To Tell
    La Isla Bonita
    Open Your Heart
    Where's The Party
    White Heat

Of the songs I didn't vote for, "Jimmy Jimmy" and "Love Makes The World Go Round" are pretty good album tracks, but I don't care for "Papa Don't Preach", and "True Blue".

So seven good/great tracks out of nine? Not too shabby. (even though my 80's RATT/Dokken/Motley/Ozzy/Guns and Queensryche-self would never have admitted to it publicly)

wrappedinsky and Bobby Morrow like this.
  18. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Not my favorite Madge album by a long shot (it's maybe third or fourth), but it does have one of my favorite songs, Live To Tell. It's the rare downbeat song in her catalogue that really works-her vocal performance suggests a vulnerability that you don't hear often enough.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  19. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I remember buying the True Blue LP on a Friday afternoon, after a week of school exams. If I remember correctly, it was my first purchase of a Madonna album.

Did I like it? Yes a lot. But I got rid of the LP during the first half of the 90’s together with all my other LPs and never rebought it on CD. Nowadays I can only remember Papa Don’t Preach, Open Your Heart, Live To Tell and La Isla Bonita. And of those I don’t like the last one at all. Her most overrated and overplayed song. I forgot about the rest of the tracks. What I also think I remember is its harsh 80’s production. So I feel no need to revisit it. I’ve learned that Madonna made a better album before – Like A Virgin – and she made better albums afterwards – Ray Of Light and Confessions On A Dancefloor. All IMHO, of course.

I think the cover art is iconic, but it’s to “cold” and I don’t really like it myself.

Bobby Morrow and John Adam like this.
  20. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

I was 13. Madonna was hot. This came out around the time of her Penthouse spread too. Live To Tell takes me right back there. Great album. Great artist.

Question...was this still a Nile Rodgers production?

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I chose “love the entire album” but admittedly that has more to do with sentimentality and memories of my youth than the quality of the material.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

"La Isla Bonita" was all over the radio on my honeymoon in 1986, on a beautiful island that happened to have a town called San Pedro which we passed through! That helped a bit becoming my favorite from this very enjoyable album! :)

Yost, Bobby Morrow and Witchy Woman like this.
  23. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Not a Nile production at all. I think mostly Pat Leonard. But with Madonna credited first and also some tracks by Stephen Bray.

Grant and Freebird like this.
  24. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I love this album. It is one of the first LPs I ever bought with money I earned. I still have my original copy with bonus poster! I like every single song on it...even the couple of weaker tracks are essential. I guess my least favourite would be ‘La Isla Bonita’ but I still never skip it. I own an original UK CD of this album that I bought in the 90s and the 2001 reissue but I tend to play the original as it sounds better. The 80s was a spectacular time to be a Madonna fan and True Blue was my favourite of her albums for a very long time but I think now it’s probably in second place after her debut. It was such a huge album in 1986-1987 with iconic singles, eye-catching videos and great artwork on the album and singles too.

25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

If there is any album representing 80's pop besides the other Big 80's blockbusters True Blue in sound and technology and top notch production does.

DesertHermit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.