Madonna True Blue Poll. Pick Your Favourites & Discuss.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Apr 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I never get sick of bashing Love Song.:D And Shoo Be Doo (though a pleasant tune) is that moment I, if not exactly dread, but I don’t look forward to it either, on LAV.:) I think it’s too long.. The slow intro doesn’t help either..

sunspot42 and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

I can understand people not liking the album, but I’m surprised 5 people (so far) voted that they hated the artwork... Really, what’s not to love about that?! Now Hard Candy I could understand,:)

Man at C&A and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

First, I absolutely love the analog sound quality of the first CD pressing. I believe it was recorded with the then-new Dolby SR encoding. I especially love the way the hi-hat sounds on "Live To Tell". It's very clean, crisp, and I can almost feel hitting of the drumstick tip on the open hat. I also love the way the hi-hat id dominant in the left speaker during the first half of the CD, then on the right on the second half. Patrick Leonard and Madonna took great care with those types of details.

My CD was one of the first to be pressed domestically.

Papa Don't Preach - I was initially disappointed that the album didn't have the same cold ending as the video version. I said I love the sound of the album, but this particular track always sounded dry to me.

Open Your Heart - I checked it as a favorite, but it got old fast once they issued it as a single.

White Heat - The intro is interesting for a couple of listens, but it's a gimmick that wears out fast, and doesn't really help a boring song.

Live To Tell - The initial single from the album, and it's a smoker! It was originally part of a movie soundtrack, and was issued before the album was. I wonder what kind of mic they used on that hi-hat...

Where's The Party - Meh.

True Blue - A great slice of pop music! It kind of reminds me of the girl-group sound of the early 60s.

La Isla Bonita - Bah! I never understood what people like about this song other than Caribbean and reggae sounds were popular in the 80s. The song is boring as hell, too.

Jimmy Jimmy - This song just never stuck in my head.

Love Makes The World Go Round - Again, Carribean sounds were popular in the 80s. I didn't care all that much for it.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. Grant

I'm glad you didn't. I HATE that collection! It's awful!

Huge albums that also came out in 1986:

Van Halen - 5150
    Sade - Promise
    Cameo - Word Up!
    Wham! - Music From The Edge Of Heaven (a reworked "The Final" for the U.S. market)
    Prince & The Revolution - Parade
    Run D-M-C - Raising Hell
    Beastie Boys - License To Ill
    Paul Simon - Graceland
    Metallica - Master Of Puppets
    Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet
    Genesis - Invisible Touch
    Peter Gabriel - So
    David Lee Roth - Eat 'Em & Smile
    Boston - Third Stage
    Tina Turner - Break Every Rule
    Ratt - Dancin' Undercover
    Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Live 1975-1985
    Lionel Richie - Dancing On the Ceiling
    Janet Jackson - Control
    John Fogerty - Eye Of The Zombie
    Huey Lewis & The News - Fore!

And, there's quite a few others I can't even think of at the moment

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Sade Promise was late 1985.

6. Grant

Yup. Yer right. I didn't buy it until the summer of '86 when "Is It A Crime" was released as a single. But, man is it a good album!

7. ippudo

ippudo Forum Resident

I never get sick of bashing this album as I think it's rather terrible. :) Apart from "Live To Tell", her best ever single (?), and to a lesser degree "Papa Don't Preach", there's very little I like - the title track aside, side 2 is all filler to me. The other three singles seem rather cookie-cutter and none of them are quite as convincing as any of the singles on the far superior "Like A Virgin", especially "Into The Groove". I found the production very harsh and muddy in any format - Bryan Ferry's "Bete Noir" album sounds similarly congested to my ears. I guess I'm just not a fan of mid-80's Patrick Leonard. On the plus side, the cover is truly iconic and easily Madonna's best.

sunspot42 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, it's very dense and you can't hear thru the mix very well on most tracks ("Bonita" being something of an exception). No noise, but definitely a kind of grunge compared to the crystalline Like A Virgin.

ippudo likes this.
  9. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

I voted for the five singles. There's a reason they all made the top 5.

I bought the album almost upon release, and later on picked up all the 45s with the picture sleeves. A couple of the promo 45s have cool re-mixes.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

May do Like A Virgin as a poll next. Either that or Bryan Adams’ Reckless or ELO’s Discovery.

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  12. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

I think there should be another voting option between "love the entire album" and "it's ok" ...
    I don't wanna say it's just ok .... cuz I reeeally love at least half of it...
    but I don't love the entire album .
    I have less enthusiasm for the last two songs, as others have noted too.

This album is certainly an iconic '80s classic as much as any.

My first Madonna-music media was when I made a cassette-tape sampler copied from cassettes of the first three albums .... didn't have "Into The Groove" though, pretty sure about that.

13. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

Did you buy it? Yes, although first I had it on cassette first I bought the vinyl at the time of the Who's That Girl tour, a copy with a poster included.

Do you still play it? Rarely. I tend to listen to versions of most songs on other compilations or in my own playlist, and prefer some of the single or 12" remixes.

If so, do you play it more than MDNA? Yes

14. cut to the chase

cut to the chase Forum Resident

The five singles were very strong, especially 'Live to Tell', 'Papa' and 'La Isla Bonita', three of her best songs ever.

aseriesofsneaks and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Open Your Heart always had a mystical feel to it.

16. Bobby Morrow

I know things like Jimmy Jimmy and Where’s The Party are seen as filler, but I love them too. They ‘fit’ somehow, and Madonna was so hot then that if she’d released them as singles they’d have been hits anyway. 9 track 40 minute albums are largely a thing of the past. Especially from Madonna! I wish they weren’t..

DesertHermit likes this.
  17. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Open Your Heart

I’m not a Madonna fan, but I do like that song.

18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Will fire this album up later. CD or vinyl.

19. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

I grew up around this album, and while it's much more "mature" in places, Like A Virgin was killer. While it had its fair share of hits, I don't think it had quite the impact of its predecessor. That's why I enjoy it more often.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  20. Psychedelic Good Trip

Virgin a sharper hit to the listener where as Blue had a softer hit. Two solid albums mid 1980's.

21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I'm not a crazy Madonna fan, but I like Open Your Heart. Great song and video.

22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Got this spinning now. Definitely a mid 80's trip.

23. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

(Still) love the entire album, still play it, love the artwork. Bought the CD right when it came out. That was one of the earlier CDs I owned. I have Madonna's complete discography (all studio albums, live releases, any compilations with unique songs/mixes, and even lots of singles--I just don't have every version of every single).

I've heard True Blue more than I've heard MDNA, but I don't play it more than I play MDNA since that came out. The same goes for everything released after it, really. That's not decided by preference for me, though. It's simply because I listen to music systematically and I'm careful not to play anything too often so that I don't get burned out on it.

24. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

First three tracks, title cut and La Isla Bonita. Plus, the artwork. A true superstar vehicle, but one that works just wonderfully.

25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Just adore the original vinyl spin of Blue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.