Madonna. Yay or Nay.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

She's had a rough start to the year, but Madonna is still making headlines and managing to have one of the highest grossing tours ever. Lots of people hate and, but you can't ignore her. When she came along in the early 80s, she changed everything. This was a woman who could sell millions of singles AND albums. Not just one of two of the latter, either. When her 1992 opus Erotica 'only' sold 2 million copies, it was seen as a flop. Yes, 2 million albums shifted was a disaster for Madonna.:D

She's had some bad press in recent years (well, actually since she started) and her recent albums haven't been her best, though I still believe 2015's Rebel Heart (with some prudent editing) was her best album since Confessions Of A Dancefloor from 2004.

Growing up 'with' Madonna was a bit of a privilege. I don't think anyone my age had seen anything like her before. If Michael Jackson was the male star of the 80s, Madonna was absolutely the female equivalent.

But, what do you think? I could list her albums and achievements, but Wikipedia do a much better job than I could.

Trader Joe, JLGB, eibran and 8 others like this.
  2. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Loved most of her career. I like Rebel Heart - LOVED the tour.

eibran and Bobby Morrow like this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Please share your thoughts, favourite albums, tours, ahem, movies etc.

4. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Madonna gets a resounding YES from me.

I can honestly say that she and her music have both changed my life for the better. While I do think she's been lost ever since about 2009, she'll always be my #1.

5. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I'm gonna go with a yay. I haven't liked much of her recent stuff but she has been a fantastic pop star for over 30 years now.
    One of my favourite Madonna albums is Music, one that I don't hear much about on here in the Madonna threads.

6. Bobby Morrow

And I STILL don't know if you're male or female.:D

7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Madonna has always been so photogenic, she really knows how to work the camera.

SITKOL'76, goodiesguy, eibran and 3 others like this.
  8. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

My girl was listening to the Immaculate Collection the other day and while I've never been a real fan of Madonna, I was struck by the timeless quality wrapped up in those songs. Doesn't sound too dated. I'd been listening to Michael's Thriller earlier and so naturally my ears were comparing the songs' production, etc. Gotta say, Madonna's stuff sounded FAT and I was impressed. Beat Mike's stuff by a mile in the fearlessness category. The backing tracks had an edge to them - someone wasn't playing it safe. Probably the closest I've ever even listened to her songs before and so I'm going with YAY.

eibran and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. PopMusik

PopMusik Well-Known Member

Madonna has been a true pioneer in the music world and continues to put out great records after all these years.

Rebel Heart is excellent and I'm sure she has much more in store for us for many more years to come.

Ray Of Light is a stunning masterpiece, but all of her albums have been very solid. Even my least favorite of hers, Hard Candy, still has it's moments.

There will never be another Madonna. She is truly one of a kind. There have been many who have imitated her, but none have duplicated her determination, talent, and business savvy as of yet.

10. The7thStranger

I'm the same gender as Grace Jones and David Bowie. ;)

pwhytey, eibran, tmtomh and 10 others like this.
  11. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

A recent love of mine has been the Ray of Light album. The other day I kept having a song in my head that I heard on the radio when I was very young. After many years of trying to figure out what it was I found out it was Frozen. Not that much of her other stuff appeals to me, at least not right now. I like the downtempo, deep kind of music found on Ray of Light. If she made another record like that I would definitely be interested. Certainly some would say that right now it suits her age better. But to be pushing 60 and still selling concerts to lots of fans that obviously still love her - that's okay too.

12. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

When asked to name my favorite artists, she's NOT on my list.

However, I realize it's a music business.
    Over her long and illustrious career, she has constantly demonstrated and proven her talents -
    Singer, composer, live performer, charisma, self marketing, video star, etc.
    She's proven she can crossover many musical styles, and very successfully. This allows for her constant "self-reinvention".
    Like her star persona, from the beginning of her career, her music has that "it" factor - very catchy and memorable.

Yes, she's had some "public snafus", but in this media age, it's almost "the norm". Has she displayed a less than ideal public persona? Debatable, but some fans also respect that independent streak in her and interpret it as "edginess" .

She also gets points for longevity, and continued determination to remain a top performer.

So, since you asked, I give her a "yay".

eibran, gja586 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  13. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I voted for the third option. Through the years she has released many a very good song, and built up a very impressive catalogue.

tmtomh and Bobby Morrow like this.
  14. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Yay.

Madonna is a great artist and quite the performer. Don't let her recent stuff persuade you into thinking she's done. For someone with a 30+ year career, she is still selling and drawing crowds at her concerts.

I would disregard how her albums have been selling. I don't expect her to sell 4 million copies; even current stars are struggling to move copies. To sell Gold or Platinum is an accomplishment.

Vinyl_Blues and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Enjoy her first 12 years and then it's a no from me!!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

Well, 12 years is more than you'd get out of most pop stars.:)

Thorpy, SITKOL'76, eibran and 3 others like this.
  17. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I do like some of her stuff and I don't care either way.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

And in some cases, the cameraman.:)

bob60 and Comet01 like this.
  19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

How does that Madonna quote go...3rd rate dancer, 2nd rate singer,1st rate businesswoman or something?

I do like some of her records, not love them but they are OK, but still pushing the sex goddess thing at her age I find silly. I much prefer artists, male or female, who kind of mature gracefully and their work reflects their age. Why is Madonna still trying to compete with 20 year olds.

20. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

big fat Yay from me. She may some times make a fool of herself in public, but she's more often then not doing something interesting and she has the music-the most important part- to back up her iconic status.

dadonred, eibran and bluejeanbaby like this.
  21. The7thStranger

Fear. The mold she's in is one she created. I think she's unsure as to where she should go from here, and that shows on an album like Rebel Heart, which is split between amazingly beautiful work like Wash All Over Me and completely unworthy garbage like Illuminati.

SITKOL'76 and Jim B. like this.
  22. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

Yay. Completely. "Madonna" (the first album) came out when I was 15 years old, so she was practically the soundtrack of my teens. While I'm not really a fan of her most recent output, I still buy her cds the minute they're released. I've often told my nieces (who think she's a joke) that I wish they had been there when she WAS music. There is no one today who has the hold on almost every facet of entertainment that she did in her prime, period. I still have memories of the "Blonde Ambition" tour at the Spectrum (R.I.P.) in Philly for several reasons-1.I was afraid it was going to be cancelled (she cancelled the show the day before mine 2. I had nosebleed seats right near the roof and she didn't allow air conditioning due to her throat problems and 3. She didn't wear the ponytail. While I'm a little embarrassed by what she seems to have become (the Madonna of my childhood would have laughed in the face of the still-thinks-she's-20 woman she is today) she's still my #1.

23. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I've never been a big fan of her music but I've always admired Madonna's general take-no-crap attitude and her ability to re-invent herself for a new audience every few years.

Plus, she was smooookin' hot during the 80s, esp. the Like A Virgin era. :D

The dance/pop genre is littered with one hit wonders so for her to remain relevant three decades on is quite an achievement.

24. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

FWIW...

"I'm so bored with Madonna. I wish she would just go away and then I might even get to like her. Someone said that Madonna was a thimbleful of talent thrown into a sea of ambition and I don't think I'd argue too much with that."

Mick Jagger (early 1990s)

25. Bobby Morrow

You missed this one for your yay or nay threads, @SITKOL'76 :D

SITKOL'76 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.