Madonna. Yay or Nay.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troyvod

troyvod Forum Resident

a couple of friends are fans and went and saw her on the recent Australian tour. The Facebook posts were funny , all excited about the show that night , by about 1/2 way through the show it was , oh i hope this gets better. After show was this was a complete waste of money and time! Going on 3 hours late on a week night didn't help. I hope this is her last tour, as i think she has lost a bunch of fans over this beep.

2. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I like her first two albums - catchy, well-crafted pop! But that's it.

My wife dragged me to her show last fall on the Rebel Heart tour and the whole thing was a highly disorienting three-ring circus. It was like total sensory overload: there were so many flashing lights, and so much weird crap flashing across the backdrop screens, and so much going on all over the sprawling stage, that my attention was constantly being pulled in a thousand different directions. By the end of it I felt like I'd been completely broken down psychologically, to where if you were trying to get some secret info out of me, I'd have totally divulged it. I kind of felt like I'd been sonically/visually vomited on.

I guess a lot of people are into shows like that? Totally not my scene.

3. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Madonna has been around all my life @ 38 I could not escape it if I tried. Not my cup of tea really musically but I did enjoy her sexiness during the MTV era as a child.. also that playboy issue.... I can't say I did not enjoy a handful of tunes though from the 80s.

Bobby Morrow and JohnnyQuest like this.
  4. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

I like some of her songs. She is a good dancer.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

Never fails to make me laugh. :biglaugh:

Bobby Morrow and PlushFieldHarpy like this.
  6. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I voted "I like some of her stuff", because I did for a while, but just during a short period of her career. I didn't "care either way" until she came out of nowhere with "Frozen", I thought that song was so cool and different when it came and I loved it (great video too). I liked the following singles, especially "Ray Of Light", and basically everything I heard from the album Ray of Light, don't really remember the rest of those singles and songs now, and I also liked some of Music (I have at some point listened to both those complete albums, but it is so long ago now). She reinvented herself so completely in that era.

I have even covered the song "Gone" with the Alternative Rock (for lack of better word) band I was in at the time, and there is a bit of an amuising story to that. We basically only did original material, but we ocassionaly threw in a cover. I had heard that song on the radio while driving, but didn't hear what the announcer said, I just heard it was Madonna. I figured it was a new single from Music, which was the current album, I think the title track had been the most recent hit and she was just everywhere all the time in that period anyway. We had a gig coming up shortly and I got the idea to try to be clever and have us play an interpretation of her most recent hit just as it had entered the charts (kind of like Hendrix covering "Sgt. Pepper" I guess I thought, in my hubris). So I quickly learned the song, after I think managing to download it, the important part there is I only had built in computer speaker to listen to right then. I whipped up an arrangement in a hurry and taught it to the other guys and we played it at the gig only days later. Of course it wasn't a new single, it was just an album track they happened to play on late night radio, so no one knew the song at the gig... Also when I later heard the song on proper speakers I realized that since I hadn't heard the bass frequencies I had in my rush misintepreted some of the chords (which I guess just became part of my rearrangement)... We only ever played the song that one time, and I don't remember how our version went, I know I did a big effects laden guitar solo in the middle, someone has a recording somewhere... :)

So I liked her enough to want to play her music at one point, but after that (those two albums basically) I went back to not caring "either way" again, so I just very narrowly "like some of her stuff". I suspect if I go back and listen to some of her earlier material now, with hindsight and having a musch broader taste, I will like it better than I did at the time.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    theMess and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. Aurora

Aurora Forum Resident

Yay. I don't care for the music she has released since Confessions on a Dance Floor, but I enjoy most of her pre-Hard Candy work. Erotica is my favorite album.

:(

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  8. PopMusik

PopMusik Well-Known Member

....Bye Felicia

9. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Isn't there another thread like this? Madonna? Yay yay all day, baby. Love her. Fan for 30+ years.

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  10. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I'm surprised at the dislike for her RH tour.

We had the discussion on another thread here about how I respect that when she tours, she actually does promote the new album, as opposed to being a tired vet going through a Greatest Hits rundown with two new songs. No, she still cares about her new projects and while not every album is a grand slam, I commend that she still goes deep with each album instead of just phoning in some "Immaculate Collection + Ray Of Light, Hung Up and Music" bored vet concession setlist living in the past pandering to old fans who haven't bought an album since 1998 at the latest who just want to go back to 1990 for a few hours and remember their youth. When you go to see Madonna in 2016, you're seeing her in 2016, not just a regurgitation of Blond Ambition, and thank god for that.

I mean, Rebel Heart was not a fave of mine though I found it decent enough, yet i had no problem with the set when I saw her.... to be honest if she did every song i wanted to hear, she would've been onstage until 5 am the next morning lol.

Bobby Morrow, JohnnyQuest and Thom like this.
  11. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

I love how "Don't care either way" has the least amount of votes. :) As time goes on the Madonna Love will continue to grow.

Bobby Morrow and Thom like this.
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I like some of her stuff. Borderline is my favorite. The video is a classic.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  13. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Yeah, she has always been a love/hate artist. And usually (too often) the hate has been about as articulate as that dude ^. :disgust:

14. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

^ :blah::blah:

I am tired of all the hatred devoted to her.

The worst IMO is the way that every year when a new batch of artists get inducted into the Hall Of Fame, people single Madonna being in as the epitome of everything wrong with the Hall. I find it ridiculous that a fellow 80s act like Red Hot Chili Peppers are in and people are fine with that simply because they are a male oriented rock band, when honestly Madonna made a much larger impression and influence than they did, and was bigger than them as well (RHCP have had as many flops as hits, and really outside of three albums were never that massive a band), but people are still so butthurt that they lost a freaking bet they made in 1985 that she was going to be over in two years and being proven wrong is salt in their wound. There are one hit wonders and bands who had two albums in the Hall, but god forbid Madonna belong in this precious "boys club" when in reality she is in the same breath with MJ, Bruce, Prince and U2 with the big five superstar iconic acts from the 1980s, the rest of those guys are in as well.

15. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Yay. Smitten since the Borderline video. I'll admit some albums are not as strong as others. I'll accept the good with the bad and always be a fan.

Bobby Morrow and Bowieboy like this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

been a fan since and before I saw her live on her first US tour at Radio City Music Hall...NYC.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I couldn't find another Madonna Yay or Nay thread. I did do a search. There are album and appreciation threads, though.

18. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

It would be the easiest thing in the world for her to just knock out the hits. The fact that she clearly believes in Rebel Heart and has based her current tour around it shows why she stands out. Most artists would just want to sweep an under performing album like this under the carpet. Just ask Elton John how many songs from his new Wonderful Crazy Night album are in his show.:)

Bowieboy likes this.
  19. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Nay, I've always disliked her, she's never done one song close to making one of my playlists.

20. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Exactly. I know the money is in the Greatest Hits but I think 90% GH setlists are lazy and playing to the nosebleeds who aren't even fans but people who love your GH album and wants a nostalgia babysit trip. Down the road, we can look back at all her tours and know we have great performances of many of the fan fave album cuts during their respective tour, compared to many vet artists whose new album is but a passing moment in their tour while they're playing nothing but the oldies for the rest of the show. If you have a new album to promote and you're going on the road, you should emphasize on that material first and foremost, and the hits are icing on the cake.

21. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

In the past, I've advocated the 'Madonna should do more hits' point of view (the evidence is all in black and white in previous Madonna discussions). I'd still like her to do a series of scaled down hits shows, because her hits do mean a lot to a lot of people, and it would be cool to revisit them with her (OK, yeah... that's sort of a 'nostalgia babysit trip', I know). But after reading your posts on the subject, I'm converted to your position. I do admire Madonna for her commitment to her latest work, for her commitment to remaining current and relevant (however foolhardy it seems at times), when it would so much easier to do the standard trip down memory lane-type show that everyone does at her age. If Madonna wasn't always looking ahead, she wouldn't be who she is. Her whole career has been about the next step. She's never been complacent in the way a number of her peers have been. So yeah, I totally agree with you.

22. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

She kind of did the "ok, here's a hits show to shut the fans up who were upset with Drowned World ignoring the 80s" tour with Reinvention, but even then, she was still did five American Life tracks, which is more than acts like Elton or the Stones or even Prince (I was kind of disappointed when I saw him last year and he did a generic "all the hits" show) will devote to the new album. I think Madonna doesn't like being stagnant and doing the same show over and over, compared to someone like Janet Jackson who recycles the same choreography and even the same medleys tour to tour to diminishing returns.

I'm cooler with nostalgia shows when they're marketed as such. Like when I saw Bruce, he played nothing post 2002 and it didn't bother me even though I've enjoyed many post-Rising albums, but the tour was focused on The River, an album from 1980.... when he tours behind new material, he emphasizes it more, but this tour was pure nostalgia, and it was fine. Same with "reunion tours" and acts who just dropped a Greatest Hits record going on the road. But not when there's a new album out and good new tracks are being ignored in favor of overplayed moldy oldies.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Rodz42, Bobby Morrow and Thom like this.
  23. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Every rendition sounds radically different.

SITKOL'76, Bobby Morrow and Thom like this.
  24. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Not fussed either way to be honest, although, why you'd want to go on stage and spend time rubbing your erogenous zones is completely beyond me......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.