Madonna's '84 VMA performance, what was your first impression?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

Well... she's always done things on her own terms so I guess she'll age on her own terms and to hell with what everyone else thinks.

DesertHermit and genesim like this.
  2. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

And men aren't that way too? You don't see half this hate over men performers not hanging it up or because they stay in shape.

And who likes aging? Lol. What is prentending to be in your 20's...lots of sex, less clothes... she is free to do what she wants and that includes continuing to be successful as an artist.

DesertHermit likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

who does? but, sometimes you have to look in the mirror and see the truth...

4. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

In my eyes she never did. Popular does not always mean good.

Jimmy B. and Kevin j like this.
  5. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Sustained popularity is often an indicator.

To dislike her is one thing, but to deny how she turned the female lead artist industry completely upside down in a good way is another thing all together.

I look at artists like Pink, Adele, Taylor Swift, No Doubt, Rihanna etc ..who listed her as a major influence and their music reflects this.

When I hear someone say that she didn't amount to much, I say....just what have they or even I done lately?

Hell the taxes she has paid alone has to account for something, even if you ignore all the children she has adopted and all the charities she has given to.

6. filip_kbh

filip_kbh Forum Resident

And along came ageism and sexism. While I am fairly certain that Madge has had plastic surgery (maybe just botox and restylane and those damn cheek implants that ruined her look in 2009), noone seems to comment on Macca - who I am also fairly certain has his fair share of plastic surgery.

bob60 and genesim like this.
  7. waterisnat

waterisnat Forum Resident

Not to mention his poor experimenting with hair implants over the past decade or so... Otherwise, he would probably be as bald or thin-haired as his old man around the same age.

8. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

I'm guessing I probably read about it first in Rolling Stone .
    I must not have seen it until many years later; cable-tv didn't make it into my world until maybe 1988, and then not for very long ....
    But now I feel like I've seen it countless times...snippets of it are de rigueur in any video package about Madonna.

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

She was great in her prime, and her live performances were great through 2006. I’ve seen the shows over the 12 (!) years since the Confession Tour, and while they all have their moments, I found them all disappointing. I agree she never phoned it in, but she’s taken all of the spontaneity and joy out of her live shows. Lip syncing isn’t the only problem. Overly theatrical set pieces, featuring an army of professional dancers is another. Force feeding her often agonizing new material, while deigning to play a small handful of her best (read early) work in inferior new arrangements, is another problem. That approach alienated a lot of fans on the MDNA Tour, leading to a significant downscaling of venues for the Rebel Heart Tour.

Maybe she needs all of the tapes and sets and dancers. The “Tears of a Clown” shows, which she did solo, ended up sounding a lot like a subway busker playing Madonna songs, and were just uncomfortable to watch. That said, I thought she was terrific at the Met Gala. I would love to see her stand relatively still and sing her old songs (or her better new songs) the way she originally wrote them. In case anyone missed it, it’s here - there’s a draggy new song sandwiches between great performances of “Like a Prayer” and “Hallelujah”. I have hope - maybe she’ll do an”Rolling Stones” and go back to doing her hits, straight up. She should learn from the Stones and GnR - Ticket sales would go through the roof.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  10. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I agree with what your saying but her tours do very well and she doesn't have any problems selling tickets.

Rebel Heart Tour - Wikipedia

11. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I agree.

I appreciate that she still sells new music. This is what makes an artist thrive. You can't live on nostalgia forever. To those that don't like what she does, go back and rent the old performances is what I say...or listen to the old albums. She does the "classics" how is romanticized there. If one wants to see an artist movie forward, enjoy what they do now as they present it to you.

12. bartels76

I saw her on he Reinvention tour where she tried to do a Greatest Hits thing and it was the worst tour I saw of hers. Despite a lot of new songs she does, she does mix it up with the old hits. She needs to retire La Isla Bonita though. She's done it practically every tour.

13. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

In reality she is close to retirement anyway (or should be). I have so much respect for her and I hope she goes out in style rather then needing to be pulled off that stage. I was thinking of Judy Garland and how she looked at the end...dear lord does surgery and a strong work out regiment do wonders!

14. bartels76

She's nowhere near retirement.

15. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Well I meant if she was normal. 65 is retirement age and yes I would say that she is closer to it then you think. Real or forced. You can't beat father time, and sooner or later that cane is going to yank her off the stage. Hope she has the good sense to avoid that.

16. bartels76

BB King was performing through his 80's. Mick and Paul are in their 70's. Should she retire before them?

17. Even after punk, there was still outrage to be had, I loved it.

18. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

You say it as if it's a good thing?

19. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

You got a point. As long as she continues to do good work, I have no problem. Cyndi Lauper is still doing it well, and she is older so I stand corrected.

Pink, Adele, No Doubt..what is the issue? They are very good artists, and I would argue that the achievements of Pink as a respected artist are quite lofty indeed.

bartels76 likes this.
  20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The Rebel Heart Tour did fine. I just mentioned that she went from US stadiums on MDNA to arenas on Rebel Heart. Maybe they were too close in time.

I will listen, but whether I enjoy it as they present it - well, that’s not really something I can control. I could accept it without questioning anything - but as a music fan, I choose not to do that.

Anyway, maybe the only problem is that her new material just isn’t as good. I remember seeing her open her Blonde Ambition Tour in Chiba, Japan in the middle of a typhoon. It was cold, rain was coming down in massive sheets, and half the songs had never been played live before, but it was amazing - the new songs were from Like a Prayer and I’m Breathless. She opened the show and closed the show and the encore with new songs (“Express Yourself”, “Vogue” and “Keep it Together”). If you go back and watch the DVD from Yokohama, you realize what a great performer she was.

I saw the Confessions tour three times and loved it, again probably because the new material was good. I do think that she should dump the tapes, the army of dancers and all the props - based on the Met Gala performance, I think she still has the voice and the material to carry a show. It would be a challenge at this stage, but it would be interesting to see. Some might even call it moving forward.

21. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

This isn't a terrible idea, but that isn't what she wants. At this point, she has earned the right to do whatever is fit. All the woulda shoulda isn't going to change that an artist as successful as she has been doesn't have a lot of people around her to tell her no.

Still, how can her work be just as good as when she was in her prime? Confessions had some great stuff for sure, but I gotta admit I pretty much tuned out after that. One day I may catch back up.

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yeah, I guess that’s unfair. Circling back to the topic, I really don’t think the MTV appearance made a difference - the record was just great and would have been a smash with or without the appearance (but not without MTV). The bass/synth hook, and that massive Tony Thompson snare drum sealed the deal.

23. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

At first, a stimulating visual folly. After the first minute or so, it became redundant.

luckybaer likes this.
  24. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

Yes they are geniuses. All of them.

25. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I thought it was a crap song compared to the material on her first album. Millions may disagree, but I'll stand by my initial impression.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.