Madonna's '84 VMA performance, what was your first impression?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Seek medical attention if it lasts >4 hours.

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Probably my least favorite hit of hers too.

luckybaer likes this.
  3. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

No worries.

luckybaer likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

shock and awe...

Dodoz likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

she knew how to use everyone from the start. : )

6. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

It's almost choregraphed. The way she just rolls on her side at that last drum fill is perfect timing :D

7. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Pink, Adele, Taylor, Rihanna, are all more musically/artistically talented than Madonna. I'll throw Gaga and Lorde in there for good measure. Oh, and Sia and Beyonce too. They can all sing rings around her. Not to mention Whitney, a peer who was just as popular at times and blew Madonna away musically.

I suppose Madonna should be lauded for her business instincts, but Joni Mitchell succeeded on her own terms under much more difficult personal circumstances, and was a great songwriter, singer, player, and bandleader. Aretha Franklin, same thing, although of course very different from Joni in her music, but again, a true giant among artists, and not just female artists.

I was 21 when Madonna did the VMAs, and thought what she did was contrived and phony and not shocking at all. Didn't understand why it was such a big deal then or why anyone would bring it up now.

Taxes? That's a bit of a stretch. She should be praised for paying taxes. Ok.

8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Whitney? Come on, now. She had a God-given incredible voice...that's it. Did she even have a hand in writing any of her hits? Madonna always has help, but she always has a vision and a major hand in writing her songs. Whitney had an incredible voice, but she always struck me as someone who just came in and sang the song after everyone else wrote and arranged it.

9. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

But what a voice!! She was so good I'll give her a pass for not really being an auteur.

Madonna's like KISS to me. I don't get it. Never did. Never got the sex symbol angle either.

If she's still performing 10 years from now, that's cool, good on her. And she still has lots of fans, so it's great for them too. Just never saw the appeal in her or anything she said or did.

10. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I gotta admit this response is pure comedy. Madonna destroys everyone here musically artistically successfully...*yawn* I am even bored just saying it in between chuckles.

Let us look at the scoreboard chart wise...oh wait, maybe we shouldn't.

Well it is more than I can say for Apple.

There is a lot you don't seem to get. That's ok you still got time, crack open a wikipedia page, get caught up. Look at #4 on that page, she doesn't require your "getting it".

List of best-selling music artists - Wikipedia

As for KISS, they haven't existed since really 1979. They popped up briefly in 1996, but that was a fluke.

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That’s ridiculous. I think Madonna’s music sucks now, but in her prime, as a songwriter, the ones mentioned don’t come close. After her debut album, she used co-writers, but Stephen Bray and Patrick Leonard never wrote anything as memorable, either on their own or with others.

She’s definitely limited vocally, but heck, Jack Jones and Johnny Mathis could sing circles around Bob Dylan.

12. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Madonna has tons of succes with so many songwriters and they had way more in many cases with her than without. She is obviously a key ingrediant and also has sole writing credits as well.

But as she said at the RNR hall of fame speech. "Life is a collaboration..."

Now mentioning GaGa. Yeah that was funny. What a joke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.