Maggie - 2015 Schwarzenegger Zombie Movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scotian, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed Thread Starter

I never thought I'd say it about an Arnold movie but this looks pretty good.

Encuentro likes this.
  2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yes, it does look pretty good.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Meh. More zombie crap!

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  4. Scotian

A variation on zombie crap though. Kind of Night of the Living Dead meets Old Yeller.

5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Arnold stays busy...

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Meh. More variation on zombie crap.

;)

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Bit late to the party, isn't he?

8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

This looks to be a different kind of party.

9. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Looks interesting and different to me.

Encuentro likes this.
  10. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Vampires vampires vamoires
    not it's zombies zombies zombies.

A new original idea would be great for a movie

Deesky likes this.
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Arnie the vampire slayer.

12. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Doesnt sound any worse than Abe Lincoln - Vampire Slayer

Boris number 9 likes this.
  13. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

It's a genre film. Haunted house movies, buddy cop films, westerns, vigilante films, vampire, zombies, werewolves, war movies, tearjerkers, high school movies, mad scientists, etc. These are staples of film going back as far as film itself in some cases. They don't have to be original, they just have to respect the legacy of the genre and they are judged by how successfully they work within those parameters. You can still make good movies from any of these categories if you have a good director, writer, actors and crew.

Encuentro and Scotian like this.
  14. Lonson

Quite true. If you like the genre, great fun. If not. . . Meh.

15. Lonson

That's just my personal take on this. Not really a fan of the genre, so I'll pass on this one.

16. Scotian

I'm not a fan of the genre either. I think we're pretty much zombied out. BUT there are cases that come along that are exceptions. BBC's series, In the Flesh was terrific. I'll give this movie a shot as well because it looks different. If it showed Arnold walking through a horde of zombies with machine guns blazing, saving humanity, I wouldn't give it a second glance.

Encuentro likes this.
  17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Has Arnie done anything at all half decent after his stint as the governator? He's too old to play action heroes, which were really the only roles that he was suited to in his prime (and in which he excelled). But now, it just seems sad. Same with Sly.

18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well I've just seen all the film in the trailer. Looks dull and predictable. They used too much hair dye on Arnie too.

Deesky likes this.
  19. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The straight-ahead "shuffling zombie" thing is fairly played out (though you'd never know that by the ratings of The Walking Dead). But I still think there are some fairly unique films/series that take the genre in interesting unexpected directions, 28 Days Later being my first choice, then there are the comic variations like Warm Bodies, Shaun Of The Dead and Zombieland.

20. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Arnie, looking for his career's...The Searchers.

Can't say I blame him.

21. Scotian

I just finished watching it & I thought it was excellent. Slow moving & morose. You're not getting an action movie here. I don't know if it brought anything new to the genre but I enjoyed this take on it more so than an hour & a half of zombie killing.

rebellovw and Encuentro like this.
  22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It's already available to watch on iTunes and Amazon. I guess it was only released in select theaters.

23. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

Terrible movie. Bad production values. Looks cheaply made, about one step above Roger Corman. I did watch it though.

24. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Active Member

I think they should shelve the zombie genre for awhile. You can thank The Walking Dead for the burnout. Arnold never shied away from doing something different. This could be his first dramatic performance aside from the action/comedy stuff.

25. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Rented it last night, watched it this AM. It wasn't bad.

I expected more of an action film with Arnold gunning down zombies while traveling in search of an antidote for his daughter. It's not like that at all. This film is definitely a drama more than anything else.

Arnold's accent is a little jarring for the rustic setting but the acting and script work well for what the movie is about. At no point was I rolling my eyes or have any cringe worthy moments.

I wouldn't buy the blu-ray or film on iTunes, but I think it's a decent rental.

There's always going to be good and bad examples of a genre and I would say this film is part of the better offerings. If you want to see something truly awful, then check out Life After Beth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.