Magic Eraser as a stylus cleaner?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bryan, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I use the ME by simply lowering the stylus into the pad and raising it several times. I wouldn't drag the stylus over the pad, that sounds risky. It works great as far as I can tell. I haven't had any visible crud on my stylus for a long time.

3. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Just tried it on my m97xe. Worked like a charm. I just dropped the stylus on a little strip as directed and it worked perfectly. Granted, I've never used a stylus cleaner other than the included stylus brush.

However, this works perfectly for me and it only cost $2 for two sponges. Yay!

John Bliss likes this.
  4. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I have used the stuff for maybe two years now , just dropping it on it a few times & alos using the Dry stylus brush that came with the Cart. overall it seems to work really well :righton:

I get about 2 years time out of my Stylus before i Replace it ....

5. jaycaitanya

jaycaitanya New Member

So, how many times do you re-use the same little square/strip before replacing it with a fresh bit?

I've got two blocks of generic melamine foam (same stuff) on the way from eBay. £1.89 delivered. :)

6. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I've been using the same little cube of ME for probably close to a year now.

7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I don't have a before, but here is an after photo:

[​IMG]

-Bill

8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yeah, it'll work until it completely disintegrates.
    -Bill

9. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

I'm also a happy Magic Eraser user. I'm 99% sure that I got the idea from an earlier post here in 2010.

10. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

My name is Aaron and I use the Magic Eraser.......so far, so good

John Bliss likes this.
  11. jaycaitanya

jaycaitanya New Member

Does it not get filled with crud from the stylus?

12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

You can rinse them out. Also note, that it's better to give the stylus a light brushing first with a soft, small [like a #4 round] paintbrush to get rid of surface dust. I have to clean off the brush/stylus damper of my Shure 97 with a small brush supplied by Shure. But even if the little sponge gets dirty, you can always wash it out. And there's a lot of potential little magic erasers in each package. Small strips seem to work best.

13. jaycaitanya

jaycaitanya New Member

Ah, thanks. I thought you weren't supposed to get them wet, but I guess that's just when you're using them to clean the needle.

I'm working on getting a paint brush. I suppose a carbon fibre Audioquest-style brush is too heavy-duty for brushing the stylus with?

14. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

I just flick the little ME cube with my fingernail and crud comes out.

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Whatever you do, you don't want to damage the cantilever. The Magic Eraser manages to get more off the stylus with less pressure on the cantilever than any other cleaning method I've used.

16. Thanks to whomever 1st had the guts to try Magic Eraser!

John Bliss likes this.
  17. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

:righton:

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The rim of my turntable platter was picking up some tarnish and I hit it with a magic eraser yesterday after having unsuccessfully tried to use metal polish on it. Another audio use for the little white block. It worked great.

goldwax likes this.
  19. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Also good for cleaning white cables - like those on Apple AC Adapters.

20. Dual

Dual Forum Resident

Also very good for reducing ring wear on many LP covers, since a lot of that ring wear is really accumulated grime. Proceed with caution...

21. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

22. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

It does work, but I do know someone who mangled a cantilever when the stylus snagged. Be very gentle.

23. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

I think what's missing from a lot of the ME photos is the sharpness and blade-like appearence of the fibers.

[​IMG]

24. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

I never get any crud appearing on the Magic Eraser. Either my stylus is reasonably clean to begin with or I am doing something wrong. I try not to press down too hard on the cantilever and definitely feel a tiny little "pull"/resistance when I raise it up, so I am assuming it has made contact. Never see any smudges, spots, or anything else, though.

25. Love the ME. Been using that trick for years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.