Magical Mystery Tour + Let It Be DVD Releases - Thanksgiving 2K12

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by krlpuretone, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

That's what I'm talkin' about!

2. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Didn't really hear anything about MMT being released.

A source did confirm the Let It Be film would be released this fall, so that's a sure lock.

3. Rockerfella

Rockerfella Forum Resident

So true :laugh:

Though I also like Magical Mystery Tour, I think of it as almost proto-Python with a bit of bawdy seaside humour, it is 'Your Mother Should Know' and 'When I'm 64' in film form - a bit of silliness and weirdness that will make some people smirk or laugh or just enjoy the insanity whilst others will be left clueless.

There was a video on YouTube a year or so ago that was a snippet of the Your Mother Should Know staircase scene at the end, and the quality was amazing you could see the cheapness of the sets haha. If a blu-ray release (if there ever is one) is as clear as that, its excellent.

4. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Cliff's the best thing in it, as it should be I guess! Apart from him & his girlfriend's mother, the cast is diabolical though. The bus acts better than most of the people on it.

5. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Magical Mystery Tour is one of my favorite movies of all time. And I'll buy it twice before Let It Be, which IMO is much less "watchable".

Here's to hoping they were able to find better sources for MMT. I recall reading somewhere that all in camera negatives were disposed of, and all that existed were 16mm prints.

6. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Well the stuff used in 'Anthology' would indicate otherwise

7. As well as Karlheinz Stockhausen, for further fame by association. I much admire McCartney's musical talents, but I sure wish he would stop trying to influence history by making himself out to have been so unbelievably cool, hip, with it, avant-garde and ahead of his time. Magical Mystery Tour, one of the subjects of this thread, showed that he was just as human as the rest of us, prone to the odd failure.

8. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Except that he was ahead of his time. A cursory examination of The Beatles makes that plainly obvious.

9. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

10. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Are you serious?

11. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Did anybody care to check the Macca website?

Ok, heres some info about MMT from the horses mouth so to speak. It does not mention Let It Be but there is some info about Magical Mystery Tour.

http://www.paulmccartney.com/web/gu...nid=27B6E6D943AC1147287049FEFFFE8159.lr2PR?&#

12. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I am not 100% sure which channel it was on because I edited out the adverts when I transferred it from VHS to DVD. I stopped using VHS about 10 years ago so It was shown over 10 years ago. It could well have been RTE or TG4. It wasn't BBC because there were adverts.

13. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Dead-***, my friend.

When I was 12, I took a DVD transfer of my VHS along with me for my portable DVD player on a road trip. Pretty much all I watched. Takes me back.

My friends brought "White Girls". You tell me which one you think we enjoyed more.

14. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

You forgot something important in the thread title:

"Magical Mystery Tour + Let It Be DVD/Blu-ray Releases - Thanksgiving 2K12"

Who is still purchasing DVDs? It's an obsolete format.

15. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Whell, highly original choice for all time favourite movie, I should say :) Enjoy! :) (I also can sometimes enjoy this movie, but have to be at least in "medium" to "well done" drunken mode..:)))

16. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

If Paul doesn't pump up and promote MMT as actually being good, nobody else will. I can't see Ringo plugging the true genius of "Shirley's Wild Accordian."

17. BlueSpeedway

Blu-ray is semi-obsolete too isn't it? ie not really getting off the ground in a mainstream sense. And The Beatles are, after all, mainstream.

18. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I think "Love" and the 2009 remasters and the follow-up easy cash-in jobs (the Blue and Red remasters, the "1"-compilation) are the last meaningful thing we hear from EMI/Apple (and that iTunes-tracklist doesn't count as "meaningful"!) until 2020...
    I hope to be prove wrong, but EMI/Apple is one of the most lazy ventures ever. Surprising when they seem to represent one of the most active en prolific bands of the 60s. Well, they must have been busy with all these court-cases...
    I sounded a bit bitter there, didn't I? :)

19. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

"Living in the Material World" was issued as a box with DVDs and a Blu-Ray. If LIB is released any time soon, it's a safe bet that the package formula will be the same.

20. BlueSpeedway

The movie reissue/restoration label Eureka (sort of the UK equivalent of Criterion), have started putting out their primary releases as a DVD and Blu-ray set for virtually the same price as one or the other would retail for on its own. Apparently they're doing ok. Seems a good idea in these weird limbo times as hard-copy slowly dies but still has some demand. And let's face it, after the work & disc-authoring is done the cost of actual disc manufacture is very low, so to supply 2 different format but identical content (except the higher qualities of course, for BD), discs for the price of almost 1 seems a good move.

21. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Geez, don't ya think EMI and most of Apple would be putting out something Beatles every three months if they could? To me it's obvious the rate and content of releases are dictated by the band itself...

22. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

:agree:

The Beatles camp is very protective of their name and don't want to pull a Jimi Hendrix Estate move. The Rolling Stones have been even less forthcoming than The Beatles in regards to vault releases. When you have 2 people and 2 estates trying to agree on anything it can be pretty tough.

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You can buy Blu-rays at the grocery store - doesn't get much more mainstream than that...

24. JimC

JimC Senior Member

I don't have a scorecard handy, but with Exile and Some Girls outtakes as well as the plethora of live releases, the Stones are at least gaining ground.:wave:

25. Interestingly, he kind of was ahead of his time as there were video albums released by bands like ABC, etc. that we're basically an excuse to string music videos together and claim it was a movie.

That doesn't mean being ahead of his time was GOOD in this case as while I have affection for MMT I wouldn't classify it as a good movie by any stretch of the imagination.

It's still selling well for an obsolete format. To the general public it isn't an obsolete format and while downloads have gained a firm market share the format is still doing well. The problem is that a lot of product that would sell well is already on DVD. I wouldn't call it obsolete until they stop selling pressed product.

It is mentioned on Paul's website so it appears that maybe we are getting this after all. Perhaps those of us who were slinging mud at the original poster should apologize.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.