Magical Mystery Tour (LP) - Your reaction the first time you heard it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jun 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Like I wrote before, I thought side one was a nice continuation of Sgt. Pepper. So, I loved it.....Until I got to side two.

2. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Actually seems quite alien to me thinking of it as an album.

3. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I love some tracks, and find others average filler.
    Not a cohesive album by any measure, so it doesn't get much play.
    Some great tracks tend to be forgotten as a result (eg. Fool on the Hill).

4. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

i think it is the best of the later day Beatles albums.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  5. Artyom Yakovlev

Artyom Yakovlev Active Member

When I first heard MMT, I realised it was my favourite album by The Beatles.
    Almost 20 years has passed. It's still my favourite album by The Beatles.

andrewskyDE and JohnnyQuest like this.
  6. It's my personal favorite Beatles' album, even if it was never intended as anything more than a compilation. Which is pretty amazing when you consider all the fantastic Beatles' albums.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  7. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

its my favorite beatles album, i simply like the melodies the best on this one- also have a mint mono copy early capitol stampers

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  8. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I just thought it was cash-in / blatant rip-of the 'Stones ...Satanic album. I like it though.

9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I love the album because Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, Hello Goodbye and Walrus is on it.

10. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I loved every single minute.

JohnnyQuest and andrewskyDE like this.
  11. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

A great album with my favorite Beatles song Strawberry Fields Forever and a bunch of others that I love. Still it's drop off from the untouchable genius that was Sgt. Pepper but nothing can compete with that album not even The Beatles.

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Reaction?
    Oh. Great all the MMT EP on one side, with singles on the other side.
    Practical.

Don't view it as a official album, as uk as the official albums in my book.

The German MMT LP for sonics.

13. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I was 10 or 11 and absolutely loved it

14. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I thought, "this is so good that 50 years from now they'll still be talking about this on the Internet"... ;):)

googlymoogly and daveidmarx like this.
  15. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

I came into the Beatles with the release of the Blue album and taping a Beatles weekend with a realistic portable straight off the radio to the small onboard mic
    I was 11 or 12

Quickly I had Revolver, Pepper, AR and MMT with lawmower money

Having already heard SF, PL, MMT, HG, AYNIL and FotH from 67-70 I found the rest interesting experimentation

Walrus was immediateyl one of my favorite Beatles tunes (along with SF), Blue Jay Way mysterious, Flying cool.
    YMSK and BYaRM were weak in comparison as was the title track

Odd booklet, admired Paul

16. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Frankly, it didn't quite feel like a proper album and, come to think of it, it still doesn't. There's a lot of good material on it, but as a whole it just doesn't gel like a Beatles album should - in my opinion, of course.

I think it would have made more sense to compile an album out of the Magical Mystery Tour EP tracks and the Beatles stuff on Yellow Submarine.

17. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Not enough tracks. There'd be no reason to include Yellow Submarine, and Hey Bulldog hadn't even been recorded at the time.

The remaining tracks would, however, have made Hey Jude a better album.:)

18. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

My favorite Beatles album except when I'm listening to any of their other albums.

buzzzx likes this.
  19. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I was four or five when I first heard MMT; it was before I'd started kindergarten. My mom got me a mono copy from the cutout bin of one those mid-century discount stores that seem to have disappeared. I loved it. I primarily played side 2 at first, because it had the hits, and then moved on to side 1. The first side scared me, as did "Strawberry Fields."

At that point, I had Meet the Beatles, The Beatles' Second Album, Yesterday and Today, and various 45s. I also watched the cartoon, so I had heard lots of their early tracks.

I didn't get St. Pepper until several years later, and was disappointed by it in light of MMT. I still feel that MMT is their best psychedelic album, much better than Sgt. Pepper. I also think that MMT is perhaps the closest thing to a stylistically consistent album that they ever made, although The Beatles' Second Album is a strong contender in that category.

I still have that original mono copy from when I was a kid. I didn't hear the stereo version until the 1980s, and thought the mix was awful.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  20. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

St. Pepper! Intriguing.:)

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Heard it mid seventies, thought great all the singles on side two.

22. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I thought it was daft but it was one of the last Beatles LP's that I bought so context/timing is everything. I've grown to love it just like all their spawn.

23. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

It was a strange package to digest at first...it felt a little like something that was tossed out to appease us fans craving another round of Sgt. Pepper.

It's still a strange package and yet full of amazing songs so it's pretty hard to knock it. The Beatles were the high wizards of the cosmos at that point in history.

24. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

It didn't feel like a strange package to me in 1967, most of the songs were already played heavily on the radio and we were familiar with most of them.

25. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

This was the first album I ever bought. 1973 or so and I was 11 or 12 years old. I admit that I was pretty naïve musically at the time and barely knew who the Beatles were. (They used to have a cartoon show on Saturday mornings - that's what I knew of them :rolleyes:). I didn't realize the same group did Hello Goodbye (still a personal favorite), Penny Lane, SFF, and All You Need is Love. And here they were all on a single album that I stumbled across by blind luck. Actually, a much older neighbor kid was a big Beatles fan but I didn't get why he seemed so excited about them - that's probably why I even picked the album up. And I remember the store sure didn't have much in the racks for them.

I actually did play side one first, although I didn't know any of the songs. I thought it was a bit weird that all the songs I knew were on side two. Side one didn't make much of an impression on me with that first listen, but I was mostly excited to get to the songs I knew. I had heard most of side two on the radio but I had never sat and actually listened to the songs until this time. I was hooked. Eventually I wanted more and revisited side one and those songs grew on me, especially MMT, Fool on the Hill and I Am The Walrus. I also quickly grew to love Baby You're a Rich Man. Before I knew it I realized I loved nearly this entire album and I realized I might be a Beatles fan and I needed to find other albums. The next trip to the same store I found the 1962-1966 album, which had just been released, and it was all over.

So yeah, I love this album. It started my love for music as well as for the Beatles. It's been a great journey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.