Magical Mystery Tour on Vinyl...Which one?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IanL, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IanL

IanL Senior Member Thread Starter

I know this has been mentioned in other threads about the whole catalog, and I have read lots of them. But all I am really sure of is to look for a German copy. What exactly should I be looking for, and what key words or dates should I be looking for as I search Ebay for a used copy? I just purchased a 13 album blue box set and am just looking for a good quality pressing of this album to combine with it. Thanks.:confused:

2. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

First choice would be the US mono. For stereo, the Japanese pressing beats the MFSL, as the MFSL has the last three songs in fake stereo.

3. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I'd say try to get the German or Israeli with all the songs in true stereo. There have been at least a few previous threads about this.

4. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Have to agree with David on this one... if you're looking for a stereo version, the German Hor Zu/ Apple version is the only one to get.

Plus it's got a **cool** psychedelic cover!! :D

-Kevin

(As for an eBay search, I'd try either "beatles hor zu" or "beatles horzu"... that should smoke out a copy...)

5. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

6. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Get German SHZE 327 Magical Mystery Tour on HörZu. You'll love it. I do, anyway. The German Apple on the right should be great, too.

[​IMG]

7. Larpy

Larpy Active Member

Ian,

I've got the German Apple one above and it sounds fantastic. On my copy, there are actually two different sets of matrix numbers in the dead wax: a longer numerical matrix on one side (sorry--haven't committed the number to memory and I'm at work) AND, on the other side, "SHZE 327." So perhaps they used the same lacquer on the later Apples that they used on the earlier Hor Zus.

From what I've read both here and in Fremer's columns over the years, all 3 variants of the German vinyl sound excellent.

Don't bother with either the MFSL or the Japanese: they're both sourced from the US tape (which is a dub of a dub of a dub).

Happy hunting.

Larpy

8. Larpy

Larpy Active Member

Ian,

One more thing. The CD of MMT sounds pretty good and is, in fact, sourced from the same tape used for the German vinyl. Yes, the vinyl sounds better than the CD on a good turntable, but there's less difference between the two than there is with most other Beatle LPs. With MMT and Sgt. Pepper, the CD versions are tonally reasonably close to the better vinyl versions out there.

IMO, this one isn't worth going way out of your way for (time-wise or finance-wise), unless you just hate digital.

Larpy

9. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

I agree that the CD version sounds very close to the German pressing with the exception of "Baby You're A Rich Man". The German vinyl sounds better to me...when I first heard the CD, I noticed something was missing...just not has open as the German pressing...a/b the two, the CD is a little behind the LP...The version that is the same as the LP is the version included on the bonus EP from the EP/CD box set.....that's how it should have sounded on the CD of the LP. I've always wondered why just this track was this way on the CD.

JF

10. John

John Senior Member

Hi Ian- If you dont mind taking the high road (ie it will cost you a little more) call up Tom Port at better records, and he will set you up. He sent me a hand picked German MMT in flawless condition that dropped my jaw, still does everytime I play it. Wasnt cheap, but....

Hope this helps

11. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Re: Re: Magical Mystery Tour on Vinyl...Which one?

I second that there are 2 pressings on Apple with the same sets of matrix numbers. They way you can tell them apart is that on the second side one of them has less dead wax area. If you get that one you will be in for a real treat. Dynamics like you have never heard. Call Port up worth every penny. Otherwise you may go through 50 before finding the right one.

12. IanL

IanL Senior Member Thread Starter

Awesome advice with pictures and everything! What would I do without this place? Thanks for all the help everyone. I will give Tom a call about this one (to at least find out his price).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.