"Magnolia" Original Motion Picture Soundtrack 3XLP By Aimee Mann & Jon Brion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Disc 1: Songs by Aimee Mann
    Side A
    01. One (2:53)
    02. Momentum (3:27)
    03. Build That Wall (4:25)
    04. Deathly (5:28)

Side B
    05. Driving Sideways (3:47)
    06. You Do (3:41)
    07. Nothing Is Good Enough (Instrumental) (3:10)
    08. Wise Up (3:31)
    09. Save Me (4:35)

Disc 2 & 3 - Original Score by Jon Brion

Side C
    01. A Little Library Music / Going To A Show (5:35)
    02. Showtime (10:28)

Side D
    03. Jimmy's Breakdown (4:24)
    04. WDKK Theme (0:45)
    05. I've Got A Surprise For You Today (6:12)

Side E
    06. Stanley / Frank / Linda's Breakdown (11:00)

Side F
    07. Chance Of Rain (4:20)
    08. So Now Then (3:51)
    09. Magnolia (2:12)

Magnolia - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack 3XLP

Hep Alien, pinkrudy, Pizza and 3 others like this.
  2. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

And also....

[​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. Is Mondo who did the first Twin Peaks reissues (before the more recent Warners ). If so their packaging is stunning. Their pressings horrible.

4. Drummer2468

Drummer2468 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info Mazzy. I emailed Mondo and asked what source was used for mastering Magnolia? Here is the useless response I received:

“The source was from Warner Bros. archives used for the original album, remastered for vinyl. Please let us know if you have any other questions.”

5. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

What is the point?:cheers:

6. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I'm hoping it's good

Canoli likes this.
  7. Canoli

Canoli Forum Resident

It’s Aimee Mann so yes it is good. I haven’t seen this movie in years and I love the soundtrack.

Phil12 likes this.
  8. IanL

IanL Senior Member

The original CD (of the pop stuff, not sure about the Jon Brion stuff) is decent enough (if this vinyl sound quality turns out to be a stinker). It is a great compilation.

9. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

yes, the music is good. I'm hoping the vinyl is as good or better than the CD.

The last Enya vinyl I got was terrible compared to the original CD, I'm feeling a little burned by the non-audiophile labels

whisper3978 likes this.
  10. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

Very happy to finally have some of amiee mann's best work.

however I am a little sad the two supertramp songs are gone. I don't own any supertramp and those 2 songs are like the only songs i really know by them and I could kill 2 birds with one stone.

Oh well, still buying it though.
    [​IMG]

11. Drummer2468

Drummer2468 Forum Resident

I followed up with Mondo about the mastering “source” mentioned in their earlier email. They responded simply “it was a digital file”.

12. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

How ironic. Just received the Magnolia CD today in the mail. Loving it! Some of Aimee’s best work (IMHO).

13. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

So how does this sound?

14. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

well you jinxed me :p haha

I got my black vinyl version today. It sounds terrific sonically. better than my mfsl bachelor #2(which imo is not a good sounding mfsl). great sound.
    However i got some slight pressing defects.

side A during the song One i got crackling noise ONLY in the right channel. it goes away after the first bar of the song momentum.

Side B plays fine. thank god.

Side C is the same as side A. there is right channel crackling mostly prominent at the start of the side and pretty much goes away after a few minutes.

side D was pretty much fine. tiny bit of right channel crackling in places. barely audible. fine imo...

side E I think this was the best side I got. no issues.

side F This was nice also. quite silent...

so yea silent vinyl i did not get except for disc 3. It was pressed at rainbo. because in the Matrix is S-100806
    the S- usually means rainbo press.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. Mean Dorris

Mean Dorris Forum Resident

Same crackling issues here on my copy, a shame because the crackle free tracks sound awesome.

Out of interest, by some quirk of fate, can anyone confirm if the coloured vinyl does not have the same pressing issues as the black?

16. havenz

havenz Forum Resident

Just got my colored vinyl in the mail yesterday and listened to the Aimee Mann record. Some very slight crackle in places, nothing bothersome or unexpected in today's vinyl world of vinyl production. However! There is some weird low rumbling sound in the lead-in to both sides that lasts about half the track. Kind of comes in an out with every rotation. There is also dimpling present on both sides. I've emailed Mondo in hopes they'll send me a replacement of just that disc. The other two records look and sound great after some quick scanning! But the Aimee Mann record is what I bought the package for... And the mastering sounds great to my ears! Anyway, that's my report!

pinkrudy and CWillman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.