Make your own Grace replacement stylus

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by needlestein, Sep 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. needlestein

needlestein GrooveTickler Thread Starter

I jut got a Grace F-9E and I figured out how to make a brand new replacement stylus. I'm pretty darned sure it's the same cartridge as a Goldring Elektra and a few others. So, you take one of those styli and cut a bit off the top plastic to fit and push it in. Voila!

The plastic insert tube shaves itself going into the cartridge for a snug fit. Sounds great. Saves you hundreds over hunting for NOS or retips.

I might try the LPGear Hyperelliptical.

LP Gear Rx9HE stylus

I'll post some photos later.

2. needlestein

needlestein GrooveTickler Thread Starter

Here's a photo. I haven't worked out all the kinks yet--and I'm also finding other leads to possible styli that could work. I'm not sure if using an elliptical would be a good idea yet since it looks to me like the cantilever angle is a bit different. This wouldn't be a problem with a conical tip, but it wouldn't be a great idea for an elliptical or better tip without further modification.

In any case, here is a photo of the generic Goldring Elan stylus on the Grace F-9. If I were installing an elliptical or better, I would go in and change the angle of the cantilever at the bend where the manufacturer does it. It's not difficult at all to do, but I'd rather find a different donor stylus with the correct angle already implemented if I were going to suggest this kind of procedure to others.

[​IMG]

33na3rd likes this.
  3. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Very interesting. Some folks have used the Kenwood N-49 stylus on their F-9's, but that stylus is a conical too.

The part about "The plastic insert tube shaves itself going into the cartridge for a snug fit" makes me a little nervous. Could the shaved off parts get lodged inside the cartridge body?

Good find! Thanks for the share!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.