Male singers you thought were Female or vice-versa

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 8tracks, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict Thread Starter

There have been a number of times I was completely wrong in thinking I was listening to either a Man or a Woman singing. A few examples that come to mind include:

Nick Gilder - Hot Child in the City. I clued in on this pretty quickly after hearing a DJ annonce "That Was Nick Gilder". Huh? Nick can also be a girl's name?

Ozark Mountain Davedevelis - Jackie Blue. I still don't know who sang lead on this song, but by judging from the album credits, I'm pretty sure it was a guy.

The Shocking Blue - Venus. For 20 years I was familiar w/ this album cover featuring the late Mariska Veres (although I didn't know her name), but I always figured she sang the harmony vocals. If I would've once thought about it, I would've figured that a guy likely wouldn't sing "I'm your Venus", but often when a song is as old as I am, I often never bother paying attention to when the lyrics mean.

Other examples?

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Michael Jackson singing She's Out Of My Life. I thought it was Diana Ross!

3. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

Yeah or Michael Jackson singing Ben...

4. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

When Rumours came out, I was 11 years old and thought Stevie Nicks was the guy and Lindsey Buckingham was the girl..... :)

5. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

And I still don't know what is Tracy Chapman or Boy George.....

6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Jimmy Sommerville.
    Andy Bell of Erasure.

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Who's the lead singer for Simply Red? For the longest time I thought he was a she.

8. Green Tea

Green Tea Sweet Soulful Sounds

Mick Hucknall

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Back in '74, when I heard Neil Sedaka's comeback hit "Walking in the Rain," I assumed it was a woman singer--not too far from Karen Carpenter, vocally.

I recall that, in 1982, many people mistook Alison Moyet's vocals on the first Yaz album for a man, but I could never fathom that myself.

10. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

When I was a kid I thought Nazareth's cover of "Love Hurts" was sung by a woman. :o

11. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict Thread Starter

Yeah, I thought Laughter in the Rain was Carole King. Come to think of it, I also thought Todd Rundgren singing I Saw the Light was also Carole King.

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I never thought of that before, but I can see that. I'll never view the song the same away again. ;)

13. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Before I was familiar with either Carole King or Todd Rundgren, I thought the same thing.

14. Jon Anderson (Yes - Your Move) - I thought they sounded like a trippy British electric folk-rock group with a female lead singer.

Tracey Thorne (Massive Attack - Protection) - the line "I'm a boy and you're a girl" threw me. I was excited that trip hop was starting to use male tenor voices. I was wrong.

Klaatu (Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft) - I was convinced the lead vocal was female, until I got the album several years later.

15. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Smokey Robinson fooled me when I was a kid.

16. axnyslie

axnyslie Forum Resident

I thought Kim Carnes singing "Betty Davis Eyes" was Rod Stewart.

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Thanks for the info Green Tea.

18. doowop365

doowop365 …and Spaghetti

I only learned recently that "More Today Than Yesterday" by Spiral Staircase was sung by a male. Further confusing me was the lead singer's name: Pat Upton. I guess you can still learn beyond 40 years of age.

Jon O.

19. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Russell Thompkins, Jr.(The Stylistics)
    Eddie Holman
    Green Gartside(Scritti Politti)
    Limahl(Kajagoogoo)
    Anita Pointer(Pointer Sisters)(On "Automatic" you'd swear it was a male voice singing the lead on that one.)

20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"Venus" by Shocking Blue...when I was growing up, I think the disc jockeys were even afraid to tell us it was a female, for fear they'd be caught wrong.

21. NEIL SEDAKA's "Laughter in The Rain" and most everything else:)

22. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

"I Can See Clearly Now" - Johnny Nash.

Always thought that was a woman...

23. MrMudPuppy

MrMudPuppy Forum Resident

Wow, great choice!

I was a 70's kid, addicted his handheld AM transistor radio. When I listened to music as a child, I would visualize performances in my head. Russell Thompkins, Jr. and company were looking mighty hot in their silver-blue sequined gowns and long white gloves :)

Because of the Stylistics (and Nick Gilder) it took me many extra years to develop my then-stunted gender identification skills.

Just when I thought I had it down, Supertramp's Logical Song hit the radio, and later Boy George emerged on the scene... I was one confused puppy.

24. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I'm sure I thought Air Supply's "Lost in Love" was a duet between a man and a woman.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Anybody else remember the "Celebrity Blow-Up" where Big Jim and Billy Sol pestered Neil - as played by Eugene Levy - to make his voice "real high" before he blew up? :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.