Malignant Records - Industrial/Ambient Experimental Label - 5 CDs for $30

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by patient_ot, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member Thread Starter

This will probably only be of interest to a very small number of people here, but I thought I would post it anyway.

To get the deal, click here:

http://www.malignantrecords.com/browse/1/M

Then scroll down until you see "Malignant Bundle". The price is $30 if you're in the US or $50 if you're outside the US. These prices include shipping. When you add this to your cart, it will give you a comment box where you can fill in the titles you want.

Now, there is one catch. This only includes stuff on the Malignant & Black Plague labels. It DOES NOT include anything from other labels that is sold by Malignant in their catalog. On the upside, you can pick any CDs on the these labels. It doesn't matter if they are 2xCD or 3xCD sets. Those still count as one "CD". Vinyl is not included in the deal.

Malignant label releases

http://www.malignantrecords.com/search/label/Malignant

Black Plague releases

http://www.malignantrecords.com/search/label/Black Plagve

I think this is a very nice deal from an independent label worth check out if you are interested in this type of music. Admittedly, I do not like everything they put out, but I've made it a point to check out what they are doing every now and then, as well as placing the occasional order from their distro catalog.

Malignant Records Bandcamp:

http://malignantrecs.bandcamp.com/

You can check out some clips of the releases above if any of the descriptions sound interesting...

2. patient_ot

Just wanted to bump this and let people know that this deal is still on.

I've taken advantage of it at least 3 times now and haven't been disappointed with anything so far. The stuff I've gotten (many almost blind buys) have ranged from quite good to damn impressive.

If anyone needs recommendations let me know.

If you like

Ambient
    Industrial Noise
    Experimental Soundscapes

and so on - on the dark end of things you'd be a fool not to take advantage of this deal.

And no, I do not work for the label!

OtisCampbell and black sheriff like this.
  3. patient_ot

Just wanted to mention that this deal is still on, and doesn't appear to be going away anytime soon. New releases from the label have come out since I originally posted this and those are are still part of the deal. At around $6 per CD (that includes 2xCD and even 3xCD sets counting as ONE CD!), you can't really go wrong here if you like this type of music. I've ordered the bundle a few times and the packaging on most of the discs is excellent as well. Typically they use digipaks and some are even DVD sized digipaks where multiple discs are involved.

4. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I'd be interested in some recommendations. I tend to gravitate more toward ambient and experimental soundscapes than industrial noise, but I've also spent a fair amount of time over the years listening to Einstuerzende Neubauten, so I'd not be entirely averse to the more industrial titles if you feel strongly about them.

OtisCampbell and patient_ot like this.
  5. patient_ot

@Dave Garrett

I'm a fan of EN too. I will make a list of the Malignant CDs I have and write a one or two sentence description about them.

paul....r likes this.
  6. patient_ot

Here is the list, not all of these may be available on CD still. Some were Bandcamp downloads that I purchased. See upthread for the terms of the bundle deal through Malignant Records. Ratings are on the Rateyourmusic.com scale. The majority of albums I buy these days get either a 3.5 or 4 star rating. 5 star ratings are usually reserved for older albums are "classics" IMHO. A 3.5 rating doesn't mean the album is sub-par. Unrated albums need more listening time, which is why they are not rated.

Leila Abdul-Rauf Insomnia 4.0 CD

Electronic ambient textures with some classical instruments playing a supporting role and ethereal female voice. Very nice. Would probably appeal to fans of 4AD and Projekt.

Analfabetism Av Hjord Är Du Kommen 3.5 CD

Swedish "death industrial" noise, not groundbreaking but enjoyable for the style.

Caul Crucible 4.0 Digital

Very nice minimal ambient, some of the artist's best work IMHO

Des Esseintes Les Diaboliques 3.5 CD

Electronic neo-classical meets old school industrial, fans of things like Laibach, In Slaughter Natives, etc. will probably dig it.

False Mirror Derelict World 4.0 CD

Excellent ambient work, dark but with enough texture and light seeping through to make it unique, some field recordings, etc. Highly recommended.

Gnawed Feign and Cloak 3.5 CD

American death industrial noise, processed vocals, fairly atmospheric for the style.

Hall of Mirrors Altered Nights 4.0 CD

2xCD of two Italian ambient artists, very nice.

IRM Closure... 4.0 CD

The most important industrial group since the late 90s IMHO, their latest album, excellent as with every single thing they've done.

JARL Out of Balance CD

IRM member solo drone ambient work.

Kristoffer Nyströms Orkester BrakeHEAD 4.0 CD

Kristoffer Nyströms Orkester Overlook Hotel 4.0 CD

Mechanized industrial soundscapes, project involving Peter Nystrom from Megaptera and Kristoffer Oustad. Better than a lot of
    Megaptera material IMHO.

K.S.K.N.P. Death Instruktions 3.5 Digital

Death industrial supergroup. Bleak like Liechenshrei era SPK and early Brighter Death Now.

Navicon Torture Technologies The Gospels of the Gash 4.0 CD

2xCD of noisy industrial soundscapes, screaming vocals, unique approach, epic in scope, probably not for everbody.

Negru Voda Våld de Luxe CD

3xCD collection of Peter Nystrom/Megaptera side project, industrial noise soundscapes.

Obscene Noise Korporation Primitive Terror Action/The Rape of the Blue Planet 3.5 CD

Another Nystrom project, more primitive than anything else I've heard from him.

Of Earth and Sun Uncoiled CD

"ritual ambient industrial"? Noisy at times, all sounds made from acoustic instruments, looped chanting vocals, vaguely reminds me of something like Zero Kama or Zoviet France but not really like that either, more aggressive yet still atmospheric. Hard to describe, worth a listen.

Sektor 304 Soul Cleansing 3.5 CD

Metal bashing, screaming vocals, noise.

Sigma Octantis Dissipations 4.0 CD

Post-rock meets dark ambient, unique and well done, highly recommended.

Skin Area Rothko Field 3.5 CD

Skin Area & JARL La Petite Mort 4.0 Digital

Electroacoustic and noise experiments with some spoken word vocals from an IRM member. I like this, not for everyone though.

Skorneg Foehn 3.5 CD

Very bleak minimalistic ambient. As dark as the darkest Lustmord or Thomas Koner work, but not up to that level of masterful composition. Enjoyable CD though.

Sphäre Sechs Enceladus CD

Space ambient goes very, very dark. Made with analogue synths, needs more listens but impressed.

STROM.ec Divine Legions Beyond Psyche 4.0 CD

Finnish old school industrial with a dash of power electronics. Very well done CD, epic feeling.

Terra Sancta Aeon 3.5 CD

Terra Sancta Disintegration CD

Terra Sancta Sunken|Buried|Forgotten 3.5 CD

Terra Sancta Exile 3.5 CD

Australian ambient project, well executed and very enjoyable. Not masterpiece level stuff but I like his work enough to have bought everything I can get my hands on.

Theologian & STROM.ec Hubrizine CD

American artist behind NTT composed album from Strom.ec source material. Old school industrial noise, need to listen to more but I like this.

Yen Pox Blood Music 3.5 CD

Yen Pox Between the Horizon and the Abyss 3.5 CD

Probably one of the most popular dark ambient acts around these days and with good reason. I like Blood Music more than the band's subsequent material, but the latest album is very good.

Dave Garrett and black sheriff like this.
  7. patient_ot

Forgot to mention this, but the deal DOES include CDs on the Malignant Antibody label, as well as the regular Malignant label and Black Plague sublabel. At the time I originally posted this, none of the Antibody CDs were available anymore (sold out/OOP) but the Leila Abdul Rauf CD is a recent release on that sublabel of Malignant.

See here:

Malignant Mailorder Catalog »

This link here should show everything on the main label and two sublabels that is still in print or otherwise available.

Releases »

If you click on the link for each album, you should see a description. Don't add the albums to your cart individually though, you won't get the bundle price that way. You still have to add the bundle to your cart and list the CDs you want in the checkout comment box.

Malignant Bundle (V/A) - Malignant Budget Bundle (US Deal) »

Dave Garrett likes this.
  8. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Had missed this thread before. Interesting. I heard a track by Einstuerzende Neubauten last week and knew I wanted to know more as they are completely new to me. This is not what I normally listen to but I'm always open to new things. I'm gonna go slow and figure what I might like to listen to but will probably put a bundle order in soon. Thanks for the original post and the follow-ups.

9. patient_ot

@Reader, If you want to talk Neubauten, let me know, I don't want to derail this thread too much so you can either PM or start a thread in the music corner forum.

10. patient_ot

Thought I'd bump this for the new year. Malignant has some new titles from their label since I last posted about this deal and the deal is still on. As usual, I have no affiliation with the label whatsoever. I recently received five discs from another order and will post quick impressions after I've had time to listen to them.

11. putney_swope

putney_swope Forum Resident

Most of the stuff is definitely an acquired taste, but Malignant is a great label and an excellent mail order company. I've been a customer for almost 18 years and Jason has never disappointed as far as customer service goes.

patient_ot likes this.
  12. patient_ot

Same here. I've been an off/on customer since '99 or 2000. The last few years I have gotten back into this sort of stuff and I always check the label's releases periodically. IMHO the label has come a long way. The distro catalog always has great stuff as well. It may only appeal a select group of people but I am always surprised at how few people are aware of this deal. Buying the discs in bundles is cheaper than digital downloads and they are usually nicely packaged. I think anyone with an interest in darker ambient and industrial soundscape type stuff ought to at least give the label a try. A bunch of album streams are on Bandcamp, though you can only get the bundle deal by purchasing direct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.