Mamma Mia (movie sequel)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NiceMrMustard, Dec 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just read a sequel is coming out in July, starring much of the original cast. And a new addition-Cher-who will have a singing role.

The question is, are they going to redo songs from the original? They mined the greatest hits for the first one. I can’t imagine the film being made up of deep cuts.

Sounds more like a reboot than a sequel.

In the past I would post a question like this on IMDb, but they removed their message boards. Since this forum has a lot of ABBA fans, I thought I’d post it here.

ispace likes this.
  2. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Trailer is up now. It comprises of back story as well as progressing the narrative on, Godfather II style. It has been noted that Meryl Streep's shots are all from the first film. Cher does appear. Looks fairly poor to me though Bjorn had a hand in it and visited the set in the UK. Can't see I'm A Marionette, Suzy Hang Around and Another Town Another Train getting in somehow...
    Off to play Frida Ensam white vinyl that came out this year. A safer bet!

Jarleboy and Sammy Waslow like this.
  3. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Must...remain...civil....

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"Poppa-Pia"?

gottafeelin likes this.
  5. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

:laughup:

6. NiceMrMustard

It's been awhile since I've seen the movie (never saw the Broadway show). A Wiki list of songs from the original (and although it's not listed, I remember a rendition of "Waterloo" over the end credits).
    These are pretty much their best known songs - the big ones missing are "Ring Ring," "Fernando," "I Do I Do I Do I Do I Do," "Knowing Me, Knowing You," "Chiquitita," maybe "Happy New Year," "One of Us," and "The Day Before You Came."
    Those plus a full version of Waterloo, some new versions of a few below (or snippets), and a few more deep tracks might make a movie. Maybe....
    1. "Honey, Honey" - Amanda Seyfried, Ashley Lilley & Rachel McDowall - 3:07
    2. "Money, Money, Money" - Meryl Streep, Julie Walters & Christine Baranski - 3:06
    3. "Mamma Mia" - Meryl Streep - 3:34
    4. "Dancing Queen" - Meryl Streep, Julie Walters & Christine Baranski - 4:04
    5. "Our Last Summer" - Colin Firth, Pierce Brosnan, Stellan Skarsgård, Amanda Seyfried & Meryl Streep - 2:57
    6. "Lay All Your Love on Me" - Dominic Cooper & Amanda Seyfried - 4:29
    7. "Super Trouper" - Meryl Streep, Julie Walters & Christine Baranski - 3:53
    8. "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)" - Amanda Seyfried, Ashley Lilley & Rachel McDowall - 3:51
    9. "The Name of the Game" - Amanda Seyfried - 4:55
    10. "Voulez-Vous" - Full Cast - 4:35
    11. "SOS" - Pierce Brosnan & Meryl Streep - 3:19
    12. "Does Your Mother Know" - Christine Baranski & Philip Michael - 3:01
    13. "Slipping Through My Fingers" - Meryl Streep & Amanda Seyfried - 3:50
    14. "The Winner Takes It All" - Meryl Streep - 4:57
    15. "When All Is Said and Done" - Pierce Brosnan & Meryl Streep - 3:17
    16. "Take a Chance on Me" - Julie Walters, Stellan Skarsgård, Colin Firth, Phillip Michael & Christine Baranski - 4:01
    17. "I Have a Dream/Thank You for the Music" (Hidden track) - Amanda Seyfried - 8:33

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Oh no! At least get some actors that can sing in it.

8. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

If Cher sings "I Am The Tiger", they'll have earned my ticket.

9. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Here is hoping for a tense, gritty thriller, built around the characters from the song ' The Visitors'.

WHAT????!

10. NiceMrMustard

Colin Firth singing "Two for the Price of One" would get my money.

CBS 65780 likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

The original film was terrible and looked like it cost £5 to make. All the principals were far too old. Meryl Streep was knocking on 60 when it was made. This means if she had given birth to daughter Amanda Seyfried she'd have been about 40. Hardly the innocent teenager the script implied! Normally I love Julie Walters, but she was horribly miscast and not in the least bit funny in this.

Still, fair dues for the gall of it all. Taking a bunch of classic pop songs and ruining them by giving them to non-singing actors...And the movie still made millions.:D

driverdrummer likes this.
  12. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Love the show and seen it several times. The movie surprised me and was fun. Loved the cast, especially Meryl Streep, she was hilarious! My one complaint is I wished James Bond tried to do the Rex Harrison thing instead of straight out singing. He was fine in the part but, yeah, his singing wasn't good.

I was amazed when I heard they were making a sequel. The story's done and the catalogue was mined. Just release Just Like That and call it a day.

John Adam and Jarleboy like this.
  13. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I expected to HATE the movie, but I found myself smiling as I left the cinema. It´s not a deep movie, a classic movie or even a very good movie, but it´s great fun. I haven´t watched it for ages - maybe I´ll revisit it this Christmas.

I don´t think the world strictly needs another trip to that well, but I´ll be watching it when the Blu-ray arrives.

Pizza and Chris DeVoe like this.
  14. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I saw the Broadway show and thought it was great. I couldn't even make it through the movie. I still have scary images of a barefoot, overalls clad Meryl Streep skipping down the street. The songs are still great though!

15. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Of course, musical sequels don't have a good track record; looking at you, Grease 2!

Pizza and Jarleboy like this.
  16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Selecting actors who can't sing any better than karaoke night at your pub was obviously an artistic choice. Was that to make the audience more comfortable with them, make them seem more regular?

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

...and, of course.... the last film of the trilogy is.....
    "I Think I Got The Diarrhea!"

18. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Diarrhoea
    Here I go again
    My my
    I could not resist you

Diarrhoea
    Number two again
    My my
    How I haven't missed you

19. NiceMrMustard

Have you ever seen Woody Allen's Everyone Says I Love You?

Pizza likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Nothing about the movie's chronology makes sense. I discussed this in my review:

"Would someone explain the chronology of the story to me? I get the feeling that the movie’s supposed to take place in 2008, as the fashions sure look current, and references to the Internet seem to set the tale in the then-present. This means that Donna’s trysts with the guys would’ve taken place in the late Eighties – and since Sophie seems to be early 20s, this makes sense.

However, the flashbacks to those scenes never remotely resemble 80s fashions or music. The Harry sequences give off a very late Seventies vibe, while the Sam and Bill elements feel like they go back all the way to the Sixties. We even hear a reference to the Summer of Love – that was 1967! Donna’s pop group clearly existed as a Seventies entity as well; they would’ve been long out of fashion by 1988.

Why does the film use such anachronistic time references? For its warped sense of wacky fun, of course. The filmmakers don’t care that nothing makes sense; it allows them to dress up Streep, Brosnan and the others in silly period costumes."

21. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

Latest I heard was that there were only going to be 3 ABBA songs in the movie - why just 3 ???

22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Amanda Seyfried was a good singer. My wife and I enjoyed the film. Was it great art? Of course not, it was a frothy pop confection and a pleasant night at the movies.

905, bob60, reapers and 3 others like this.
  23. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Exactly! This was never meant to be a "serious" movie. I agree the film has many shortcomings - I agree with Bobby about the usually reliable Julie Walters, who is sort of funny here - she could never be 100% unfunny! - but is even more over the top than usual, and her big moment feels like something flown in from a "Carry On" or a Benny Hill skit. I love both, but it doesn´t really work in the film.

But again: As an ABBA fan, I expected to really, really hate the film, and I really, really didn´t. It´s pure fluff, it doesn´t make sense, but it´s warm and funny. I even appreciate Pierce Brosnan´s singing. (If that´s the right word.) Very brave of him, and I like the less than perfect renditions of the songs. ABBA already had the definitive versions of the songs, so why not try a different tack in the movie? (And, for what it´s worth, I have always liked the ballad arrangement of "WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE". The synthesizers are a bit grating towards the end of the original versions.)

For me, there was only one downside to the film: It led to an over-saturation of ABBA songs, originals and soundtrack versions, and it killed all the momentum that ABBA had enjoyed since 1992 in terms of young people, it seems. Up to then, ABBA was a part of their world, at least here in Norway, but they faded very quickly after 2008. Understandable, but sad. (NB! This applies to the young - us oldies still like our oldies and goldies.)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm all for "fun movies", but "MM" is self-consciously "fun".

By that I mean it wants desperately to convince us it's wild and wacky and delightful, but it just seems fun - it's completely contrived "fun".

That, and the director had literally no idea how to make a movie. She came from the stage and her lack of film experience seemed glaring - objectively, it's a poorly made film...

kwadguy likes this.
  25. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

This was a very enjoyable PLAY just like Rock Of Ages was, yet neither should have been made into films.

Just as some books should never be made into movies.

kiefer2 and Juggsnelson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.