Man, Do I love the "Suddenly 70's" 2 disc set!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dean De Furia, May 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Thanks Jet - This was the one I saw yesterday, but the label threw me - it said Westwood, when everyone was saying Razor and Tie. The tracks looked the same, but it's confusing.

2. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

Jet,
    Thanks :) :) . Ordering through Deep Discount, the total price for shipping to me in Canada was $25.62 US (before Canadian taxes + the customs handling fee :realmad: ). Still, it seems to be in stock and is somewhat cheaper than Time-Life (sorry John :( ).

Cliff

3. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

I'll have to cancel and reorder. Thanks for the tip. What % does customs ding us for?

John

4. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks for the DDCD tip, I just ordered.

5. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

John,
    PST + GST + $5.00 "handling fee" :realmad: + (potentially) a few pennies for duties (I think that applies to software such as CD's). I buy most of my electronics from the US where it's strictly GST + PST (no duties).

Cliff

6. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

I got mine today and it sounds great!

One thing I noticed, the last 4 tracks or so on CD 2 wont play on my PC at all in any of the drives!

I have tried it in two standalone cd players and it plays perfectly! Anyone else notice this?

7. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I've never heard of a "Suddenly 80's" set either. The discography does list a number of 80's compilations mastered by Steve, though:

Awesome 80's
    Back To The 80's
    Forever 80's
    Only In The 80's
    Totally 80's

and some others that don't specify the 80's in the titles but which feature lots of 80's tracks, such as:

Ni-NRG Dance Classics
    Night Moves
    Divas of Dance

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Steve's Suddenly 70's 2 Cee Dee set!

I wanna love it too! Got to get me a copy of that set!:D

9. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member Thread Starter

That's funny, the same thing happens to me on the last 4 tracks on my car player. It works fine in all of my home players.

10. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

That sure is strange! I wonder why? A subtle defect perhaps?

11. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

I will look for some of these. Other than Time-Life, I wonder what retailers sell these? I sure wish they were available retail.

12. Michael

I have Hi-NRG Dance Classics (2 Cee Dee's), Night Moves (Only have 4,5,6,& 7) Divas Of Dance (All 5 Cee Dee's) Totally 80's, Awesome 80's, Only In The 80's (3 Volumes)...all are WONDERFUL!!! Don't miss 'em! all done by Steve! They are -my- 80's reference Cee Dee's!

13. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Some of these discs aren't difficult to find used. I have purchased a number of them from secondspin.com. Beware of the Suddenly 70's set, though, or ANY set where there has been more than one issue: the version of Suddenly 70's they sell is the single-disc one not mastered by Steve. I don't think that any of the other titles have been redone/repackaged, so I think they're all safe to buy online (apart from the usual hazards, like getting a damaged disc).

A lot of these titles were manufactured specifically to be sold through TV ads, so they don't show up in the normal retail outlets. (And, of course, the DCC titles are no longer in print, so it's easier to find them used than new.)

14. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I got my copy from Time/Life today. I have most of these songs probably 3 or 4 times over (or even more), but WOW!! "My Maria"--WOW!! It's never sounded so good! Nice job Steve!!:agree: :righton:

15. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Anyone else having problems reading the discs on a PC?

16. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Well, I just got my Suddenly 80s set in the mail, and can confirm in the indicia that S. Hoffman is credited with the mastering. It sounds excellent, and includes some tracks I had forgotten about but like, and a couple of clunkers in the material at least in my opinion. The Suddenly 70s set has shipped and I'm looking forward to getting that soon!

For those here who have the other 80s comp discs Steve mastered, is there any overlap between the tracks on this one and those? I'm a particularly big fan of early 80s new wave, like ABC, Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls, etc. Do these comps have any of the MTV-type music of the 80s on them? Inquiring minds want to know...

17. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

Even my daughter-in-law was blown away by the 70's set--and she wasn't even alive when this stuff originally came out.

18. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Todd: I've got Back to the 80s, which has 20 tracks, about half "new wave." ABC, Blondie, Flock of Seagulls, Thompson Twins, Big Country, Motels, Animotion, Greg Kihn, Falco. Includes a couple hits that are kinda hard-to-find on CD: Michael Damian's cover of "Rock On" and Carl Carlton's "She's a Bad Mama Jama." :cool: All the tunes on this CD were MTV fodder back in the day.

19. Arjan

Arjan Senior Member

I am living in the netherlands where there are compilations available with the same titles (back to the 80s)

Are the track listings of Steve CDs somewhere available to check if they are the steve mastered versions?

20. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

My copy of "Suddenly 70's" arrived today. I agree: This has the Steve Hoffman trademark of quality all over it. The sound quality on most of these tracks (especially "Bad Blood" and "My Maria") is stunning. I'm glad they used the money they saved on cover art and put it into the music where it matters!:) Listening to "Ooh Child" again reminds me what a great song this is (except for those annoying drum fills panned right to left!)
    I have always loved this song and this is, by far, the best I have ever heard it sound. It's been a great week for me...a "Band On The Run" DCC Gold (simply amazing) and today, this set arrives.

Steve probably won't see this but Thank You!

21. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Arjan: The 80s collections that Steve mastered are on the Razor & Tie label. Checking the label would be the key to knowing if it's Steve's work.

22. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Listened to the 70's collection this afternoon while preparing the BBQ.

The family really enjoyed the classic 70's tunes.

Why isn't Radio doing these songs anymore?

23. Michael

Some of the oldies stations down here play a host of great 70's music!
    I've heard stuff here I've never heard on Oldies radio stations before! We have at least 5 decent radio stations here!

24. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I just ordered mine! Thanks for the posts and link to Deep Discount CD. The disc is still in stock there. I've ordered from them a lot previously so all I had to do was go to the link, sign in, and click "submit order" (far too easy!). I'll post my comments after I get it. I have a bunch of Rhino collections already - it will be interesting to compare the Hoffman tracks to those.

25. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Dean,

Suddenly 70's arrived in the mail. Thank you for the heads up. I bought this disc on your recommendation and I thank you again!!!!

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.