Man, Do I love the "Suddenly 70's" 2 disc set!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dean De Furia, May 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

I was at a pool party last night and was checking out the hosts CD's and noticed this one: a 2 CD set called "Super 70's" R&T (Polygram 1995) - what really caught my eye was the "mastered by Steve Hoffman" on the bottom of liner notes -
    If you already have "Suddenly 70's" then by all means, try to track this baby down - While a few tunes overlap - This has a much better (Rock vs. Top 40) song line up - below among the 40 tracks:

Rambling Man
    Bennie and The Jets
    Hello It's me
    Say You Love me
    Your So Vain
    Rich Girl
    Don't Bring Me Down (ELO)
    Your No Good
    Lady Marmalade
    Stuck In The Middle with You
    Show Me the Way
    I'll Take You There
    Joy To The World
    I'm Not In Love
    Back Stabbers
    Theme From Shaft
    What A Fool Believes
    American Pie!!!

I haven't seen this one discussed like Suddenly 70's, so thought I'd pass along the good word and bring to the attention to all on the SH Music Forum!!
    Anyone else have and love this?

The party was great and in discussing the CD I started to go off about Steve Hoffman and what a great natural sound he gave to CD's and the person (A non audiophile was looking at me like I was talking Greek) by the end of the night she wound up giving me "gave" me the CD!!!

2. Jetsons

Jetsons Forum Resident

3. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I ordered "Super '70s" from musicspace and what I got was NOT mastered by Steve. It isn't just that his name isn't there; the tunes definitely sound different. There is a reissued 2-disc set on Razor & Tie with the same name and almost identical track list, but the newer set is missing a few songs. Make sure you get what you want when ordering this set.

It's easier to tell the "Suddenly '70s" sets apart because the reissue of that title slimmed it down to 1 disc.

4. Jetsons

Jetsons Forum Resident

Thanks for the info, Jeff.

That's one order I need to cancel!

Regards,

Jet

5. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Hey Steve

Any ideas for forum members on how to find/differentiate your absolute killer version of "Super 70's"?

Thanks!

6. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Someone recently posted a scan of the version mastered by Steve. Bottom line is that the version Steve mastered has 40 tracks and a catalog number of DR 7076. The other version has 32 tracks and a catalog number of 314583740-2 on the back and 6983680378-2 on the spine. The former came out in 1995 and the latter in 2002. Both are Razor and Tie though the latter also prominently features the musicspace.com logo.

7. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

8. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

9. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Yes, that's the right one. I actually bought my copy from this same seller about a month ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.