Man in the High Castle - Amazon

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DreadPikathulhu, Jan 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone else watching Amazon's pilot for Philip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle?

Set in the early 60s, the U.S. has been divided by the Japanese and Germans. An intriguing plot and good use of digital effects to change Seattle into San Francisco and New York.

I though it was very good, and of course, it ends on a cliffhanger.

turnersmemo, mdm08033, Mr. H and 5 others like this.
  2. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

Big Phillip Dick fan here, and I had no idea Amazon did a pilot of this. Like many mid-period Dick novels, I think the character action is very internal, and I wonder what they did to depict the story. Either way, thanks for the tip -- this could be my video entertainment for the evening....

Panama Hotel likes this.
  3. DreadPikathulhu

4. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

One of my all time favorite books, I need to check this out!

Panama Hotel likes this.
  5. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Like the pilot.

6. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Thanks for the heads up OP, I need to check this out.

7. kohoutek

kohoutek Forum Resident

One of my favourites as well--may have to break out a pack of Land-O-Smiles and tune in.

Panama Hotel, Sternodox and Solaris like this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I think I had the option to vote for a full season of this when I logged into my Amazon account earlier, I guess I better watch it and see what the fuss is about, thanks for the tip OP.

9. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I haven't read the book yet (though I plan to remedy that) but I really enjoyed the pilot. It's a nice looking show with better than average effects for TV.

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I haven't read the book either, but I've now watched the show and quite enjoyed it, it looked like much of the budget was on screen, I'm tempted to vote for a full season.

11. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Liked it! Hope it gets picked up. Read the novel 35 years ago, and so my memories are hazy, but seems they kept quite a lot and changed quite a lot too, as is usual with adaptations.

12. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

Watched it last night. Read the book 30 years ago, so context is a bit off. It flet a touch rushed in spots, but sometimes pilots do that. Liked what I saw. Hope they finish it and it doesn't go the way of 'The After.'

13. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

If they do a series, they could really flesh out some of the characters.
    I'd like to see more of the shop that sells American artifacts.

pablo fanques likes this.
  14. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I just so happen to currently be reading this book. I'm almost done, only a chapter or two left. I'll keep this on my radar.

15. I remember it pretty well enough to recognize also that a couple of novels borrowed the premise and one was made into a movie as I recall for HBO.

What I recall is that Germany/Japan won the war, they divide up the U.S. and the main character uses the I Ching to decide his fate each day. The main character lives in the Japanese occupied west coast. Was this the first alternate history novel? As I recall, yes.

16. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I watched the pilot a few days ago and really enjoyed. The downside: Waiting for the show to be picked up, produced and released. That's going to take quite awhile, unfortunately. I filled out the Amazon survey and enthusiastically voted for the show to be picked up.

17. progrocker71

Yeah, it can be quite awhile. It has been a year since the pilot for Bosch was released, it was picked up for series but still no episodes have appeared yet.

18. DreadPikathulhu

19. progrocker71

Great news!

I really hope Bosch gets renewed for a second season, I just finished watching season 1 and it's one of the best detective procedurals around right now.

mrjinks, Dubmart and Encuentro like this.
  20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I just started getting into Bosch. I've seen the first 3 episodes. It's very good so far.

I'm glad that The Man in the High Castle was picked up, but I never had much doubt that it would. I guess it will take about a year for the show to continue as that was the approximate time frame for Bosch to continue after the pilot.

21. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I heard Ridley Scott was exec producing this a couple of years ago, glad to see it's come to fruition. I re-read the book around the time I heard about this, but want to read it again. It's one of PKD's finest. High hopes for this!

Ted Bell and Encuentro like this.
  22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I haven't read it. I probably should. The first episode left me wanting more.

23. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I'm glad this is getting picked up, but it's one of my least favorite Philip K. Dick books.

I think that a series could be done for other works:
    Martian Time Slip : The labor union of Mars. The relationship between the humans and the Bleekmen. The son who perceives time differently than others and his relationship to the Bleekmen.
    Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said: I like the alternative universe in this book better than TMITHC. Set after the Second Civil War.
    We Can Build You: The ongoing story of the rivalry between mood organ manufacturers. The Lincoln/Stanton/Booth robots!!!
    Dr. Bloodmoney, or How We Got Along After the Bomb: Post apocalyptic show with mysterious spiritual elements. (Think Lost in Marin County.)
    Clans of The Alphane Moon: The story of a moon only populated by people with severe psychological disorders.
    The Penultimate Truth: Will the endless nuclear war ever end? Or has it already ended??

Or the best idea: An anthology Series that uses the collected short stories as the basis of every episode.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I've heard this was an expensive show, too -- glad to see Amazon putting some money into this.

25. progrocker71

The pilot looked expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.