Mani high low markings incorrect for gain switches

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker

Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker Member Thread Starter

I just received it today and it says in the manual that they have set the gain to 42 db from the factory. But when I looked at the switches on my Mani, the switches where the exact opposite of what the manual said should be 42db. So I switched the gain 1 to low and gain 2 to high. When I played a record the sound was quite a bit louder than my cd player and directv. So having a at440mla I knew this was way too much gain to be 42db. Same cart with my ART djpre2 gain set to 0 or normal, the vinyl playback was quite a bit lower than my digital sources, the ART's gain is 39db.
    The high and low markings on the Mani itself are in the opposite locations compared to my Mani user manual. So if my Mani has the L/H markings reversed, then that means I switched it from the factory 42db, to 48db. 48db is the gain that would be applied by reversing the switch locations for 42db of gain.
    I contacted Schiit support and they told me the back of the Mani was the correct position markings. But this cannot be from the volume I am experiencing going by the back of the Mani.
    So I still need to switch the gain switches back to where they where out of the box, which should be 42db, but by the underneath of my Mani the markings indicated it was at the 48db gain settings.
    I asked the tech support guy if he acknowledged that there was indeed an error between the manual and the backside of the Mani high low switch markings, but he has not replied.
    Kinda really baffles you with an error like this, even the backside picture of the Mani on Schiits web site shows the H/L markings in reversed position compared to my manual.
    So my gain 1 has the low mark on the top with the high mark on the bottom. My gain 2 has the low mark on the right, with the high mark on the left. Can any Mani owners verify that their backside Mani H/L marking positions are the opposite of mine and correlate with the manuals diagram?
    I dont know, maybe I am goofed up on this somehow.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  2. Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker

Just tried all the different gain settings and it does indicate that the back of the Mani is correct. I am just so used to my djpre2 having to turn the volume up higher than my digital sources, that with the ART being my first ever phono pre amp.
    I always thought the ART sounded much better with the gain knob set all the way down. If your pre amp gain is set to match your carts output voltage, for least amount of distortion, I thought that meant you would need to turn up your receivers volume much more than that of digital sources.
    When I set the Mani to 30db of gain it is much closer to the volume I used on my receiver for the ART. The cart gain calculator indicates my optimum gain would be 38db, maybe 42db is just too much. I could hear more subtle detail with the ART turned all the way down compared to the Mani. I can also hear the record surface noise inbetween songs with the Mani set to 42db, I didnt hear this with the ART turned down running off of battery with solid core wire for power. Not sure I think this Mani is better than the ART, especially considering the price difference.

3. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Just looked at some stock photos, gain 1 high setting is down, gain 2 high setting is left. It appears to me your manual may have printing error. It seems to me your setting should be Low/ Low for the 440 MLA. Your cartridge has an output of 4 mv, so a gain of about 46 dB should be nominal.. certainly 42 dB is perfectly ok. At 42 dB gain, the noise floor of any quality pre-amp will be plenty low enough, and your volume control setting slightly higher. My personal preference is lower gain sufficient to have the volume control at the better "sounding" higher setting. The 4 O'Clock position at a given output voltage will sound better than the 12 O'Clock position at the same output voltage, to my ears a more open, detailed presentation... you sacrifice a little s/n ratio though. But when playing a record with its relatively higher noise floor, the pre-amp noise floor difference will be inaudible.

4. Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker

Yeah I put it low/low, I could not stand 42db of gain with the 440. I dont understand that you think 46db is nominal for 4Mv. At 42db it sounded like a cd. Low/low is 30db of gain and that gives me the more open subtle detail. But I agree the lower gain with an increase in your main amp volume sounds much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.