Manley Chinook problems, Part II: Chinook's Revenge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Guy Gadbois, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beep

beep Senior Member

Kudos to Manley for all they did for you

Diamond Dog and Guy Gadbois like this.
  2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

there's a reason why i avoid new up and coming equipment manufacturers, especially cartridges. you take a risk on a $750 cart hoping that it will sound like a $1000 cart just because of some good press reviews? no thanks. lesson learned guy, congrats.

3. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

What TT you have?

4. Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois Chief Inspector Thread Starter

Fortunately Needle Doctor took the Hana as a return, so I didn't lose any cash. They're great to work with

avanti1960, Cassius and Jrr like this.
  5. Guy Gadbois

VPI Prime Scout

Dennis0675 and Wasatch like this.
  6. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

I wonder if the Hana is simply more susceptible to static discharge? I definitely am having more static issues with mine vs the Dynavector it replaced. I also changed decks at the same time so it's hard to say. I suppose some carts are just more prone to the issue. I don't necessarily think it's a knock on the Hana carts though. Mine is sounding brilliant, and most of my LPs show zero issues.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

OK good. I have encountered static problems because of very low humidity but never from a cartridge. Strange, but as noted here when you have a new design you never know what the operational problems can be until they are put into a variety of systems. Obviously Hana needs to study what is causing this but maybe they will just go into denial.

Guy Gadbois and Strat-Mangler like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Glad you got the issue sorted out.

Quick question ; how did you eventually try a different cart? Only asking because you started the thread about the Chinook.

Also, what do you think of the sound VS the Hana?

9. Guy Gadbois

I eliminated every possibility and the only constant was the Hana. So I tried a new cart and solved the problem

The Hana was amazing other than the popping issue. Great detail. But the Bronze is great too

10. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Manley should be interested in hearing about this so they can find what the issue was.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  11. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

So I had the same problem with my Prime, my Rogue Ares, and my LOMC Cadenza Black cart. My problem was solved with changing the tubes. Something was up with one of the tubes. It may have had something to do with static build up, as the Prime causes a ton of static for whatever reason. Your Chinook has tubes, right? Did you ever change those? With any odd noises (thumps, rustling noises, static, etc.) I always start there and trouble shoot by moving them side to side (L to R). I also try to figure out of its source or system tubes causing the issue.

LOMC also forces more amplification, and tube noises are therefore amplified more than usual. In other words, if you have a problem with a tube, it will sometimes be made worse with a LOMC.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    hi_watt likes this.
  12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

didn't the hana play OK with your other phono preamp?
    if so, then it is a bad combination between the hana and the manley wherby the pops from the overly static prone hana are made worse by the gain of the chinook?

13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

My Prime behaves normally. No static here, thankfully. :)

14. Guy Gadbois

Yes it was fine with the Parasound

15. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

Put some Amperex in that Chinook some day.

16. Guy Gadbois

I have Phillips NOS in there right now, which I think is the same as Amperex from what I've read

17. jeff kleinberg

jeff kleinberg Senior Member

Guy I'm sorry to say but it wasn't your Hana. Its hard to tell from your video but if the pops are scary like yours cart hit something but the music keeps playing, and thats what it seemed to be to me, then its your chinook. I had the same issue and sent 2 new units back, it was a bad capacitor, I'm bummed they are acting like they never heard of this before. The MM circuit is separate so the real question is what MC cart have you used with the chinook with no pops? I didn't see one listed? Make sure you try one for a few weeks before your warranty runs out. I've include 2 email chains below. Manley was wonderful with me and made sure I had a perfect unit in the end.

Hope it works out,
    Jeff

Exchange from Fremer Below apologize for reverse order.

Sent: Monday, May 05, 2014 12:33 PM
    To: Fremer, Michael
    Subject: Re: Phono Stage

Hi
    Oh did not know this was a known issue, will call them. At the end of the arm tube is an Allen key. It's inset.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 5, 2014, at 12:26 PM, "Fremer, Michael" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Jeff: my understanding is that early Chinooks had that popping issue. I don't know when yours is from but I bet if you contact Manley they will repair it free of charge…. you can tell them I sent you!
    >
    > To which set screw are you referring?
    > ________________________________________
    > From: Jeff Kleinberg
    > Sent: Saturday, May 03, 2014 3:56 PM
    > To: Fremer, Michael
    > Subject: Re: Phono Stage
    >
    > Hey,
    > Thought I had plenty of time but my chinook seems to have bit the dust. Horrific loud pops randomly after swapping 3 sets of tubes. Put the alephono in no pops. Had just installed the 3D arm and thought I could have screwed up a setting, but it sounded too great between the horrific Pops.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jeff

Exchange from Manley

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 6:20 PM, Gamma Ibarra <[email protected]> wrote:
    Hi Jeff:

Sorry for the late reply, I thought I had replied to you, but I cant find it on my emails.

I am really sorry for the recurrent problem on your Chinook.

Please send the unit back the us and I am taking to Paul to see if replacing the unit is a better option a this point as you have had many problems already.

Please use the same FedEx account to ship this Chinook back to us.

Let me know if this is ok with you.

Thanks and apologies again.
    --

Gamaliel "Gamma" Ibarra, Director of Operations
    Manley Laboratories, Inc.
    13880 Magnolia Ave. Chino, CA 91710 USA
    Tel: +1 (909) 627-4256 x311 www.manley.com
    Come join Manley Labs on Facebook!
    [​IMG]

Date: Monday, October 5, 2015 at 5:06 PM

To: Gamma Ibarra <[email protected]>
    Subject: Re: MANLEY LABS service request

Hello
    Unfortunately my unit is experiencing the pops again.

Jeff

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  18. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Did you consider any of the MC Ortofon cartridges, like the Quintet series, as a replacement instead of the MM Bronze?

19. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Does it happen with pop music?

hi_watt likes this.
  20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

How would you compare the Chinook to the JC3+?

21. Guy Gadbois

Didn't try a different MC cart. After sending the Chinook back and forth over a 6 week period, I just gave up and went with a MM cart, the Bronze. It's been perfect since the switch.

22. Guy Gadbois

No I had enough of the whole thing and just wanted it to be over

23. Guy Gadbois

@SamS Depends on your system of course, but on mine it was the Chinook all day. Much better detail and realism than the JC3+.

Dennis0675 and SamS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.