Mantra/RB250/Goldring - some advice needed to get back on the road

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rtrt, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident Thread Starter

After some turntable advice please. Apologies for the long post, I've been pondering my return for a while and decided I better just get it all out in one go, otherwise I'll never start!

Planning to run a turntable initially as a 2nd system and then if it goes well, as a dual source main system later. I have around 60-80 LPs and a smaller number of singles, so not a massive investment (yet)

Turntable is a Manticore Mantra with an RB250 with an M logo (Moth or Manticore branded variant of the Rega?) and what I remembered as a Goldring 1042, but the stylus is marked 10 40 so think it's the 1042 predecessor? It's been well looked after, but hardly used, so I have a few specific questions.

I guess I just need to listen as my next step, but it may be sensible to refresh the bearing oil first? It's only been used a handful of times in the last 20 years.

Any oil recommendations, I do have some old stuff in an old vial but not convinced that it'll be in good shape after 20 years?!

As i recall the stylus rode pretty low the last time i played a record, didn't hear any issues though. Maybe I could take a picture and get some advice. If it has deteriorated, am i right in hoping the cartridge would be ok and just need a stylus replacement even after all this time?

I've checked the arm for stiction or free play and I couldn't detect any problems, but then I'm not entirely sure how problems would show up?

As to the suspension I have absolutely no idea how to check that. If there are any tips, I can find some time over the long weekend here in the UK to get a good look and report back.

Any answers to questions or other advice most welcome [​IMG]

2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

3. rtrt

thank you Jeff

4. rtrt

Update

Changed the oil with the recommended hypoid 80. Not sure it needed doing, but with a good cotton bud & IPA clean plus fresh oil in there ,I know it'll be fine for quite a while now.

Contacted Goldring who advised that cartridges don't typically deteriorate with age - so that was good news. Stylus is another thing again of course - i'll make up my mind there over next few weeks.

I found an alignment gauge that looks as thought it came with one of the mags and it all looked good, but I have no real experience of adjusting here, so I might just have seen what i wanted to see!

Cleaned the belt, pulley, platter and RCAs with IPA. No talc in the house so that'll have to wait, maybe forever as I'm not sure of the reaction down at the local superdrug :D

I listened to a few records as it was and it sounded pd good. Turns out the tracking force was set to 2g and bias was somewhere around .5.

I then set it to 1.7g as I think this is whats recommended - tbh I think I preferred 2g so back it went. I've not played with the bias yet.

Used my old AT ultrasonic cleaner on the stylus later, but there was an empty bottle of stylus cleaner with it, so not sure if its best used wet or dry.

I've got it on the top shelf of my old rack, but whether it's level or not will have to wait till my small spirit level arrives. Similar with any spring adjustments.

Thoroughly enjoying listening to my records again and some new (old) ones. Although compared to consecutive hours of radio paradise, getting up every 20 mins to change sides is taking some getting used to :)

5. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Great to hear you've got the old girl up and running.

jeff

rtrt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.