Marantz 2216B Receiver

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DrD77, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrD77

DrD77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello,

I like the look of Marantz receivers and this one came up on eBay for a decent price, I guess, $175 OBO. Not only do I like the look, I've heard Marantz receivers are well regarded. But there so many, I don't know the first thing about choosing one.

I see that it only has 16 Watts per channel though. My current receiver has 50 Watts. Will I notice a big decrease in sound? Sorry, I don't know that much about this stuff.

Is this a good receiver compared to the one I have?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Difference depends upon your speaker sensitivity and how loud you listen. 16 watts per channel plays at average (normal) listening volumes on 87dB sensitive speakers in an average listening room of say 10 x 15 feet. You need at least 93dB sensitive speakers to play somewhat loud. It would never work for an outdoor dance party unless you have at least 100dB+ sensitive speakers.
    I owned a 2016 and like it for what it was. Tube audio is better, but hey.....

Clonesteak likes this.
  3. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I think it depends on the speakers you plan on hooking up to them ultimately. Looks like your pioneer bookshelf speakers. The marantz would have a decent phono pre amp and the 16watts is more than a modern receiver. Marantz receivers are awesome. I love my 2220 hooked up to Elac B6’s and is rated at 20watts.
    If anything you will probably have an increase in sound unless you listen at really high volumes. I would offer less if it is something you really want or be patient and get a Marantz with a little bit more power but think this would probably be a great match with your Pioneer speakers.
    Do you have a link to the listing? No I don’t plan on buying it. :D

4. DrD77

5. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Manimal and Clonesteak like this.
  6. DrD77

How much do you think I should offer?

7. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Nice. Expect to budget $150 or so for a service sometime in the near future if you go vintage. At the very least to get the entire thing cleaned, lubed and checked out (and get any out of spec caps replaced). And lamps if you are already paying someone to go in there,

8. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Offer $150. It is worth BIN price due to excellent condition with flawless faceplate.

Manimal, Clonesteak and Guitarded like this.
  9. Clonesteak

I second the $150 offer.

10. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

This seller does not appear to sell vintage gear regularly. His feedback is mostly for clothes. WARNING! Probably has not a clue how to properly pack and ship vintage gear. You better discuss double boxing the unit and maybe send him some links to sites like Audiokarma or Tapeheads that have tutorials on how to properly box and ship gear. If the seller isn't compliant and brushes you off don't go there. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Ere, ranch 22b and jeffsab like this.
  11. Marcev

Marcev Sit back, Relax, and Enjoy the Music

The 2216B differs a bit from its more powerful siblings. It lacks a midrange control, slightly lower specs as well as having less inputs for things like a second tape monitor. If these things don't concern you, be assured its a solid receiver for its size.

12. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

It sold. Did the OP win it?

FYI - my experience with Marantz products from the 70’s is that they are very reliable. I’ve been using the same Marantz 2238B receiver that I bought new in the late 70’s. That’s 40 years of reliable listening enjoyment! The only thing I ever had to replace was some blown bulbs. Not one resistor, not one cap, nothing (except those bulbs). It’s been to college with me (late 70’s - early 80’s) and back. I’m listening to it right now!

Old Rusty, SirMarc, Marcev and 2 others like this.
  13. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I wouldn't be too worried about shipping. It is a receiver, not a turntable.

Not a tough one to package. Just be sure to provide instructions to the seller and you will be fine.

14. Clonesteak

Very curious if you got it DrD77??? I too saw the item on eBay sold. I hope it went to you if you offered a best offer.

15. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Silence on the front lines.

16. DrD77

I did not win it. Thanks for everyone’s input. After consulting with my local expert, I think I’m going to keep my current Onkyo receiver and opt for a dedicated phono preamp instead. Also, a powered sub.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.