Marantz 2230 vs 2270 vs Sansui 990 vs Sansui 5000x?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by White_Noise, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident Thread Starter

These are probably my top four solid state receivers/amps from the mid 70s golden age. I currently own a pristine Marantz 2230 and a restored Sansui 6600 (from what I understand has the same innards as the 990).

The 2230 is my favorite tuner and easily my choice if listening to vinyl with headphones or bookshelf speakers. However, I have Magnepan MMGs that require significantly more juice.

The 2270 is probably on the lower end of what can adequately drive the speakers. I find it more clinical sounding than the warm 2230. I would buy one at a bargain but the normal going price is too high for the 2270 in my opinion.

While I like my 6600 Sansui Amp, it needs some maintenance, and I've heard that the 5000x is better sounding. I almost bought one but someone else got to it first. Is the improvement over the 990 or 6600 Sansui worth pursuing? I can't get this receiver out of my head for some reason.

2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

You left one out. :)

3. White_Noise

^The Sansui 990 series and the 6600 are so similar I counted them as the same in the poll. I didn't place the 2230 in the poll simply because it doesn't have enough power to push the Magnepans, even though it's probably my favorite solid state amplifier under $2000.

Plus, I think the AU-6600 is relatively uncommon in North America. But if I have to add another, I'll throw in the Pioneer 1280.

4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

IMO none of them had memorably outstanding phono sections. Frankly I can't really think of any classic receivers that had a killer phono section.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Magnepans are not recommended with any of the above. This speaker is better driven by good separates, and you need lots of current. Of these receivers, I prefer the Sansui 5000x, but you need an 8 ohm load with it and more efficient speakers, in Marantz, I favor the Model 18 or 19.

White_Noise and GuildX700 like this.
  6. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I have a 9090 brought back up to spec by a Macintosh tech. The amp and line stages sound superb, but I don't love the phono stage, kind of meh sounding.

Edit: the 9090 is the American silver faced 990.

7. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

The black front Sansuis of the early-'70s (as well as the Model "Eight") are far more nuanced in their proprietary engineering (they and Luxman *were* THE only two, "1a-vs-1b" top notch makes native to Japan...the American-branded stuff OUTSOURCED to there was NEVER as good as what, say, Marantz/Fisher/Harman-Kardon had made in the U.S. in the tube era) than what you get from the majority of the line AFTER, about, 1976 (except; in the cases, where, the "AU"/"BA"/and "G"-prefixed models continued).

One TECH weakness (due to inferior old parts) with them, though, is: the preamps in the SANSUIs had a short-lifespan AF transistor called a Hitachi "2SC458". IT LEAKS ITS SUBSTRATE OUT OF ITS CASE AND DEVELOPS A HIGH NOISE FLOOR. When its terminals turn black, THAT is a sure sign of it being failure prone. However, one is talking like: a .30-cent-each part(!). Changing them out WILL MAKE IT BETTER SOUNDING THAN WHEN THE UNIT WAS NEW(!). A same problem exists with all the Akai tape equipment of the '70s as well.

The Superscope Marantz 2270, on the other hand, is one of the most UNSTABLE and BALL-LESS vintage receivers ever made...*totally* UNdeserving of the Ebay cult getting hosed for them. Try pushing that thing to 70wpc with 4-ohm speakers and the tweeters will IGNITE! The early models (ironically, the "champagne finish" ones coveted!) had a badly designed biasing circuit noted for hard clipping. A 2230, 2235, and 2245 were the best of the moderately-powered bunch; while, the 2285 and 2325 powerhouses have better tone detail than a "monster" 2500/2600.

Strat-Mangler and White_Noise like this.
  8. White_Noise

^Nice! Thank you for the highly informative post.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have a 2235B and love it! wonderful receiver.

dalem5467 likes this.
  10. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

990DB (Black)
    Phono1
    Phono2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.