Marantz 8

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by paul cbc, Sep 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul cbc

paul cbc Senior Member Thread Starter

I was down at a local Hi Fi shop the other day auditioning some Rogers LS 3/5a speakers for a friend of mine. The owner had these set up with a Marantz model 8 amplifier and Marantz preamp he had recently taken in on trade. Everything was sounding pretty nice and we had a good time as he popped in now and again to chat. He indicated that the 8's transformers were outsourced, whereas the 8b's transformers were wound in-house.

I have read a bit about the Marantz 8b. What do folks think about the 8?
    Also what would be the going rate on an amp like this in VG condition?

My thanks,
    paul

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

My friend Kevin Gray has several Marantz 8's. I have not heard them but I think the only real difference is in the octal plug on the 8 and some kind of transformer revision.

That being said, the 8 seems to go for a lot less than the 8B. Why, I don't know....

If it is in really great shape INSIDE and out I guess $1,000.00 would be a fair price. Make sure it has the matching tube cage.

Also, plug your RCA's into the "TEST" inputs, not line in.....

Did it really sound good with BBC monitors? Not too bright in the lower treble?

3. paul cbc

paul cbc Senior Member Thread Starter

Steve,

Thanks for your insight. The setup sounded good to me with two caveats: 1-I have not heard either piece before. 2-We listened to material I am not familiar with, primarily vocalists. Did not listen to any horns or cymbal work per se (ie:jazz).

Maybe someone else has this amp and can chime in.

Curious,
    paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.