Marc Bolan & T. Rex What Are Best And Most Superior Masters on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pauleyh, Jul 4, 2013.

1. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

as far as lp pressings what are the preferred versions for s/t through tanx? I only have a first pressing reprise of "Electric Warrior" and would like to score those 4 albums in their best sounding lp versions

2. Manly Moose

Manly Moose Active Member

Old 80's relativity CDs are by far the best I've heard, no bonus tracks, but there are compilations to get the non-album singles.

3. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Any suggestions regarding the best sounding greatest hits comp? I like the hits well enough but I'm not inclined (at this point) to delve deeper.

4. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

If you are looking for a 1-CD collection, I can recommend you "Cosmic Dancer" on Teldec (1987/W. Germany), it is dirt cheap and sounds good, the only letdown is the 1987 remix of Get It On, which is unbelievably bad. There is a 1991 version that has 20th Century Boy at the beginning, I cannot tell if this one uses the same mastering as the 1987 Teldec CD.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  5. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

The problem of these collections usually is, that either you get the stuff up to "Jeepster" or beginning with "Telegram Sam". Soundwise my favorite is "The Singles As & Bs" on Repertoire records, this starts with "Telegram Sam". What I like about this set is the mastering, even the later songs do not sound as "thin" as on most other releases.

6. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

In my opinion the best you can get so far is the "20th Century Boy: The Ultimate Collection - Marc Bolan & T.Rex by Hip-O records (Cat.# 314 584 949-2) beautifully packaged, great pics, nice clear sound (not compressed) and covering the early hits: Ride a white swan, Get It On (Bang a Gong), Jeepster etc through to Children of the Revolution, Metal Guru, I Love to Boogie etc really satisfying comp.

Lewisboogie and Paul H like this.
  7. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Beat me to it. I'll 2nd this. Has all 4 of Bolans UK #1s.

Darryl

Hotdog likes this.
  8. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

for Electric Warrior just find original US cd on Reprise, sounds fab.
    for The Slider (I have 5 copies) and my favorite by far is Marc on Wax (same with Tanx)

SOONERFAN likes this.
  9. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm off for a root around :)

10. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

Does the CD have BMG D 173480 or D 102075 written on its rear cover or on the CD itself?

11. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

On bottom of disc: 6466-2 SRC-02, on spine: 6466-2

12. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Record club release?

Darryl

13. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

Yes, but the numbers I meant are in addition to that.

There are a couple of "Electric Warrior" CDs on ebay.com currently. Maybe you can check it out.

14. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

15. pauleyh

pauleyh Audiophile and Music Archivist Expert Thread Starter

Any of the Warner consolidated CD's are best sounding in my book i dont know what kind of equipment you have but my stuff is top notch the hip o compilation is horrible anything universal does is horrible unless ted jensen or bob ludwig touches it then it will give the quality justice, universal is well known for compression to save costs for tyrannosaurus rex releases i prefer the fly vinyl i dislike the CD masters but since 20th century superstar is an import its acceptable to mastering. teldecs sound great.

16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

On CD prefer the Castle issues of the 4 Tyrannosaurus Rex albums, Teldecs are also great. Thought I was the onlyone to feel that way.
    The only thing good about the Universal Expanded Editions of the Tyrannosaurus Rex albums are the bonus tracks.
    I only listen to the bonus tracks on these, not the core albums>

Darryl

SOONERFAN likes this.
  17. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

The old Castle "Electric Warrior" is incredible, a beautiful CD.

Any opinions on the 2007s? I don't know which mastering they are. I'm still stuck with the old 2CD Edsels for most of my T Rex and am in the mood for replacing them.

SOONERFAN and sound chaser like this.
  18. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I recommend the MOW issues for the core albums (Slider thru Dandy).

Darryl

SOONERFAN and BlueSpeedway like this.
  19. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I just picked up a Relativity (1987) issue of Tanx, it doesn't sound compressed but it seems like it lacks the energy of the 2010 Edsel copy I have (the only one I can compare it too) which itself is not as compressed as I would have thought. Is the Marc On Wax UK the goto version? I see one on discogs for a ridiculous price so I guess it is.

20. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Does it have the bonus tracks?
    You should be able to pick it up for a reasonable amount.
    I'm looking for the SMS version of Tanx, no that goes for ridiculous price.

Darryl

21. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

The 2010 Edsel versions from the 5-CD Classics Box Set sound pretty good, dynamics similar to the originals, not bad at all, especially surprising considering what they put out a few years earlier. May have used old masters, not sure, but oop now. Slightly different presentation, the MOW is more laid-back, maybe better bass, definitely more balanced and relaxed, but the Edsel box set is very much OK for a new release, at least for Tanx forward. No bonus tracks on the ones I'm talking about.

22. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

The Marc on Wax 'Slider' is the one I'm looking for. If I find the Japan SMS version for an affordable price...I'd get that. Currently I have the 1997 Prism Noise Shaping cd on Demon/Chronicles..whatever it is...a US release. It has that 'veil HASN'T been lifted' sound to me. It's said the Prism device is NOT a no-noise one...but this cd sounds muffled.

What are some other opinions on this Chronicles release ?

23. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

+ Castle for Fly output.

24. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I don't play the Chronicles issues much.
    I tend to lump the Edsels & the Chronicles in the same bag.
    Teldec is another good one for The Slider.
    If you're looking for the The Marc on Wax 'Slider' (get the one with bonus tracks).
    IIRC, it was issued in 1985.

[​IMG]

It was reissued with a similar looking cover in 1989.

[​IMG]

Darryl

SOONERFAN and howlinrock like this.
  25. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

^ thanks Darryl !

I'm going to guess the 13 track version is the same mastering as the extended one ?