Marc Bolan & T. Rex What Are Best And Most Superior Masters on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pauleyh, Jul 4, 2013.

1. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Thick sounds like what I hear in the Castle then.

Of note is that the Teichiku of Slider is licenced from MOW. I now see that the Teldec is licenced from Wizard. But the MOW and the Wizard/Teldec have similar dynamic range.

The Teichiku Warrior is licenced from Noeland.

Both Teichiku CDs have a very healthy DR.

There seems to be some doubt at Discogs what the label my 2 CDs really is. Both are made by Teichiku but EW has a small Cube logo and TS has a MoW logo. So are the 2CDs I have basically versions if the 80s Cube and MoW Cds repressed in Japan by Teichiku?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

They would have been licensed from Cube or MoW, but as you like them better these must be different masterings.

If you dislike the Castle for being too muddy, you would probably like the 80's Cubes (i.e. Teldec/Disky/Edel) even less. These are easy to identify. If "Lean Woman Blues" doesn't start out with Bolan saying "take ten", it's an 80's Cube.

The Castle Slider is actually the Marc on Wax. Castle was only the distributor. As you prefer your Teichiku MoW to the Castle distributed one, it must be a different mastering.

3. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

So you prefer the Electric Warrier Castle CD to the Teldec/Cube disc, yes?

4. Electric Warrior

5. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

Hey Rexperts, what is the best, most natural sounding Futuristic Dragon on cd? I have the rhino/edsel 2002 deluxe 2 cd and would like to replace it. Thanks

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I like the Japanese SMS version.

Darryl

SOONERFAN likes this.
  7. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Better than the MOW disc?

8. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I think I have a soft spot for the A&M Visconti Electric Warrior remaster from 2012. I understand that it is compressed, but I feel that it sounds very like the original FLY vinyl.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  9. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

The problem have with the MOW CDs of Futuristic Dragon & Zinc Alloy is the misprint switch.
    There's a thread on it here somewhere.
    MOW CDs that are labeled 'Futuristic Dragon' actually play 'Zinc Alloy'
    MOW CDs that are labeled 'Zinc Alloy' actually play 'Futuristic Dragon'
    This was never corrected.

This is only true of the mid 80's MOW issues with the bonus tracks.
    Very annoying.

Darryl

10. Electric Warrior

It was 'Zip Gun'. At one point they put stickers on the discs informing about the label printing error..

It's an annoyance, but no big deal as long as you get the correct disc.

11. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

As Electric Warrior pointed out, it was Futuristic Dragon and Zip Gun that were mixed up. I asked Brumley if there were any correct copies of those and he said there were. He specifically said the problem was only on the first run of CD's. That being said, I have never seen a corrected one. What are your thoughts on sound quality comparison between MOW and SMS for any of the titles that you have compared?

12. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Sorry, memory as bit fuzzy this morning. Bad back & not concentrating + Sunday morning will do that to ya.
    Besides I was up late last night when I should have been resting. :yawn:
    The MOW & the SMS discs are my top 2 versions of what I've compared (& what I have of the SMS discs).
    The MOW gets a slight edge over the SMS (being that the SMS issues are from a mix down master tape).
    I think the edge goes to the MOW CDs as they are closer to master quality & they have the singles as bonus tracks.
    I had seemed to have only seen the MOW mix-up/misprint CDs, never corrected versions.
    As for corrected copies of these CDs...
    IIRC the second run was when he licensed them to Castle communications in France & they came out in 1989 without the bonus tracks.
    I had never seen corrected versions with bonus tracks.

Darryl

plentyofjamjars67 likes this.
  13. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I have not seen corrected copies of the early discs with the bonus tracks either. On a side note: I believe all the SMS Japan disc have the same bonus tracks as the early MOW discs if I am not mistaken.

PS: Sorry to hear you are not feeling well, hope the back gets better.

14. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Thanks. I think I was bending down at an odd angle & pulled something Friday morning. Feeling a bit better tonight, but still a bit stiff. Ice helps.

Darryl

SOONERFAN and PhantomStranger like this.
  15. Electric Warrior

I finally got a copy and I'm having troubles ripping it for obvious reasons:
    [​IMG]

16. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Does it play okay?

17. Jthomp81

Jthomp81 Forum Resident

I had a MOW Slider w/ bonus tracks with the same issue. It ripped ok, but had clicks on the middle tracks. It's ashamed because it sounded great. My go to now is the MD32.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  18. Electric Warrior

Sadly, I'm not set up to play CDDA atm (but I'm working on this situation :)). Some of the album tracks took forever to read, so I only ripped the bonus tracks. I already have the album tracks on the MOW without the bonus tracks, anyway.

The bonus tracks did have errors, but nothing audible.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  19. Archie James Macdonald

Archie James Macdonald Active Member

I just bought electric warrior and listening to it tonight i cant remember the original one i had it was a digipack i bought when i was living in canada .i left all my cds back in canada sadly to say 30 years worth .think im going to cry .anyway this cd is remastered in 2012 by paschal Byrne .A M .records sounds realy good to me warm and lovely bass . No loudness problems .i cant remember what the original sounded like .but i think it was good other wise i wouldnt have kept it all those years .has anyone listened to this 2012 version .sorry this has been draged out a bit .

20. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

There is a deluxe 3 CD book set of Dandy In The Underworld coming on 4th October for those that are interested. 36 bonus outtakes, demos and alternate mixes, including 20 previously unreleased and a 36 page book with a new 9600 word essay by Mark Paytress....

21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'm waiting for the amazon link, so I can pre-order it.
    It shows up on the UK Amazon site, but it hasn't yet been added to the USA site.

Darryl

Dave Decadent, chaz and bob60 like this.
  22. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Anyone hear this yet?

23. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

Mine is in the mail, should be here in a couple of weeks...

24. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

There are remixes on there though, I didn't like that.

sound chaser likes this.
  25. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

I finally found the Tanx Recordings at a decent price and completed my Thunderwing collection.

TheLoveDrags, Dodoz and bob60 like this.