Maria Bamford's New Show "Lady Dynamite" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sparkydog, Sep 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Have you ever seen Lady Dynamite? She's like Strangers With Candy's Jerry Blank's nicer, insane sister. I'm planning on binge-watching the rest of the first season this weekend. This description does not begin to explain how great I think this show is. Great cast!

"Lady Dynamite is an American comedy series created by Pam Brady and Mitch Hurwitz, on Netflix. The series stars Maria Bamford, and is loosely based on her life. The twelve-episode first season was released in its entirety on May 20, 2016.

Stand-up comedian/actress Maria Bamford (portrayed by herself) moves back to Los Angeles after spending six months away in recovery for bipolar disorder and attempts to build up her life from scratch with the help of her agent. Throughout the entire first season, flashbacks are employed to gain an insight on Maria's backstory and her relationships with her family and friends."

NSFW!

Dale A B and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I think this show is a work of genius. I never stops being funny, even when you see Maria's life headed for the big crash (and while the wreckage is still smoking). Fred Melamed and Ana Gasteyer are amazing too.

Electric, ampmods and sparkydog like this.
  3. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I watched it all a couple of months ago. When its good its good but it was a little uneven. I still enjoyed it and I liked the use of colour to separate the different time periods.

Plus the pugs were funny.

I kept walking around the apartment shouting out - "I'm a sexy Pterodactyl!!!" and my Gf didn't have a clue what I was on about.

sparkydog likes this.
  4. jdw

jdw Senior Member

I like how the show jumps around chronologically, so the viewer actually has to pay attention to the characters and the overall moods. It's much more complex and off-beat than a linear storyline one normally sees on Network TV. Plus, the sarcastic send-up of life in Hollywood is hilarious...

5. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Love Maria Bamford and watched the whole season when it came out. It had some weird moments, but also many great ones. The parts where she deals with her mental health issues are very moving too. And I love the self deprecating humor about her career, especially the Target commercials (which I loved and was so mad when they replaced them with whatever they're doing now around Black Friday).

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'll give it a shot.

7. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Is the near universal praise for this show just an American thing? Do I need to know who this woman is to appreciate it?

I had to turn it off after 20 minutes because it just seemed really forced and not funny. I knew when I was meant to laugh, I just didn’t.

8. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I am looking forward to watching Season 2. Only seen the trailer but it looks good.

It's odd because I'm not a huge fan of her standup but I really enjoy her in anything else she does.

ampmods likes this.
  9. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I love this show so much.

Season 2 is great so far (and similar but different from season 1). Instead of the various timelines being Present/Pre-Mental Breakdown Hollywood/Post-Mental Breakdown Duluth, it is Present/Duluth 1987/Future. The scenes of Maria as a teenager are so perfect. Her hair and clothes... haha. I have one episode left but will re-watch these episodes again and again (it's such a dense show like Arrested Development, Kimmy Schmidt or 30 Rock). But the very first couple minutes of the very first episode of the 2nd season is just amazingly brave and hysterically funny.

My favorite episode of the whole series though so far has to be White Trash. It's perfect.

10. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Just got Netflix and part way through season 2. Love it! Also, watching the 2 specials. She is a genius.

11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Corn!

12. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Sadly, I read that the second season is its last.

13. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Yes, final episode was November 10, 2017

14. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Just saw her standup show in Newark the other night - really amazing (if you like her!)

So if you're a fan and she's coming close by, don't miss it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.