Mariah Carey's "ALL I Want For Christmas Is You" reached #11 on Billboard Hot 100 Chart

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

This song surged from #21 to #11 in the latest Billboard Hot 100 chart. Given the song's popularity over the years (decades), one would think it has reach the Top 10 already, but #11 is the song's peak position (to date).

Will it....finally....go Top 10?

Galley, Say It Right and PH416156 like this.
  2. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

You lose cool points for this, I suppose, but I'll confess to thinking it's a great song and deserves to hit the top ten. Given the number of wretched songs she's put out that got to #1, it's hard indeed to believe this one hasn't fared better!

Rad Dudeski, Chazzbo13 and PH416156 like this.
  3. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Wow. I thought this was one Mariah's top singles. I must have heard it a million times over the (wonderful, for me) 1994 holiday season.

Great tune and performance, imho. Carey's songwriting skills are often underestimated, but she's one of the few pop divas to write her stuff. Respect.

qJulia and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  4. John54

John54 Senior Member

The one song by her that I can tolerate.

Monosterio, Hey Vinyl Man and Terry like this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

And #2 in the UK, and deserving. From the girl-group backing vocals and rocking beat to the massive percussion (drums, tambourines, hand claps, sleigh bells, bell lyra and chimes), a perfect homage to Phil Spector's still wonderful A Christmas Gift For You, and to its stars, Darlene Love, the Ronettes and the Crystals.

The seldom seen black and white promo video was set in 1964 on what looks like the set of Shindig! Phil Spector did a lot of terrible things in his life, but the Christmas album was a great achievement that will be played forever.

johnnybrum and PH416156 like this.
  6. Aurora

Aurora Forum Resident

mmars982 and Say It Right like this.
  7. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Very surprised this never made the top ten before. Wonder what gave it a boost this year. I can't imagine it is that new animated special. (Her recording isn't even in it, is it?)

I read over the weekend that it might hit #1 in the UK for the first time this week.

Aurora likes this.
  8. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I honestly don't like this song. Actually it's more Carey's rendition, as the Michael Buble version doesn't really annoy me. Still this Mariah song is way overplayed to me. I was just thinking it last night when I heard it and cringed, so I thought it was a coincidence this thread popped up today.

Rad Dudeski likes this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Christmas songs, for some reason, never seem to chart very high in the US. If you look back on all the great Christmas songs released over the years, very few were hits at the time of release.

mmars982 and Galley like this.
  10. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Perhaps even crazier than Mariah Carey hitting the top 10 with her Christmas song are the other tracks that in the top 100 this week:

#34 - Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree (Brenda Lee)
    #35 - It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year (Andy Williams)
    #38 - The Christmas Song (Nat King Cole)
    #41 - A Holly Jolly Christmas (Burl Ives (!))
    #44 - Last Christmas (Wham)

Nat King Cole's version of The Christmas Song peaked at #36 in 2016...here's hoping that he can best that this year.

Ahhh...Burl Ives. Burning up the singles charts at the ripe old age of 108.

Galley likes this.
  11. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

There's a red vinyl Japanese 7" EP of this released today... Would have preferred 2-track single, but this will do...

www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SIKP-4

I've always wanted it on 7" single (not 10", not LP, but 7"), but never been able to justify the very high prices for a rare 1994 original...So, I 've ordered one... A total indulgence for sure :love:

12. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

I loath Christmas music and really despise that overplayed song utterly! Put on some Burl Ives, Kenny G or even this and my negative and annoyed mood will change.
    Please dont take this as a thread crap. :cheers:

13. Aurora

Aurora Forum Resident

"All I Want for Christmas Is You" reached a new peak on the Hot 100. It's at #7 this week.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  14. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Finally gave in and ordered the groovy red vinyl album at the weekend....think she plays in London /UK later this week.

15. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I've heard this a million times today alone :mad:

16. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Not a Mariah fan, although I love this song.

17. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

I don't really like this song, but for many it encapsulates the giddy excitement that they feel about xmas... and who am I to deny them that?

18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I read an article this morning that mentioned a cover version of this song by the Dollyrots from a few years ago. Checked it out and it is pretty good.

All I Want for Christmas Is You, by The Dollyrots

I do like the original, but nice to have a more rocking version.

19. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

No doubt a result of the extra little boost it got from being part of the Rock & Soul Xmas Show I put on Thursday.

mmars982 likes this.
  21. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Amazing, fun achievement! This means that Mariah Carey now has 19 #1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100. Often overlooked is the fact that she wrote/co-wrote 18 of them (the sole exception is her excellent cover of 'I'll Be There' from her Unplugged show).

No amount of nay saying from her critics can take away from that amazing achievement.

22. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It's okay. The Michael Buble version is far superior.

:D

RSteven likes this.
  23. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

It's the only song of hers I'll listen to willingly and even that's only for about three weeks a year.

24. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

I liked it when I first heard it, it vaguely reminded me of the Phil Spector Christmas Record, but since then I've heard:
    [​IMG]
    Can't recommend this strongly enough.

sjaca likes this.
  25. MemoInPR

MemoInPR SeƱor Memo

Full story at Billboard: Wish Come True: Mariah Carey's 'All I Want for Christmas Is You' Hits No. 1 on Hot 100 After 25-Year Wait

By "Christmas" hitting Number 1, Mariah Carey accomplished:
    • First holiday No. 1 on Hot 100 in 61 years and the second holiday No. 1 ever on the Hot 100, joining The Chipmunks' "The Chipmunk Song"
    • As previously mentioned, Carey's 19th Hot 100 No. 1
    • Collects her record-extending 80th total week at No. 1
    • New record span of No. 1s: "Christmas" grants Carey the record for the longest span of Hot 100 No. 1s: 29 years, four months and two weeks, dating to her first week at No. 1 on the chart dated Aug. 4, 1990, with "Vision of Love."
    • No. 1s in the '90s, '00s & '10s:
    • Record longest trip to No. 1, at over 25 years.
    • Carey's first seven Billboard 200 entries have now generated at least one Hot 100 No. 1 each
    • "Christmas" concurrently tops the multi-metric Holiday 100 chart for a 38th total week, of the 43 overall frames in the chart's history, dating to its 2011 inception.

SITKOL'76 and RSteven like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.