Marillion "Brave" 5-disc deluxe set (w/Steven Wilson 5.1 mix)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DesertChaos, Jan 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks to QQ member Healthcare29 for posting this first bit of info on the forthcoming set (no release date set as yet):
    Marillion ‘Brave’ box set including Steven Wilson 5.1 mix due shortly | Real Gone

I was never a big Marillion fan but ended up really enjoying the Misplaced Childhood set so count me in on this one too.

[​IMG]

FVDnz and sennj like this.
  2. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

So for those that already have Made Again (and Brave of course), this entire release amounts to 8 previously unreleased live songs. And 5.1. Not as excited about this one as Misplaced.

I do hope that Afraid of Sunlight receives a deluxe treatment though.

3. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Looking forward to hearing this in a remix or 5.1 mix.

4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Ive never fully gotten into this album but typically H era Marillion albums can be pretty slow burners. They can also be wildly inconsistent to straight up weak. However I will get this, in hopes that it will influence them to give Clutching and yes Sunrise the Deluxe treatment they so deserve.

Markyp likes this.
  5. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

What makes you say only 8 previously unreleased tracks?

5 Discs - so:

1 - Blu-Ray
    2 - Live Brave CD
    3 - Live bonuses (the 8 tracks mentioned)
    4 - Brave remastered CD

That leaves disc five, which could be either:

1 - Brave remix CD (though probably unlikely since they didn't include a remixed CD with the Misplaced Childhood set)

...or...

2 - a Disc of session outtakes freshly mixed by SW and/or b-sides (possibly remixed by SW)

...0r...

3 - an additional BluRay of music videos and the Brave movie (but that stuff if included should fit on the first bluray disc already mentioned containing the 5.1 album. (actually after checking the second link provided in the OP I see that the Brave movie is NOT going to be included - so scratch the possibility of a 2nd BluRay disc which contains it so:

I'd say option 2 is the most likely - so I think its quite safe to assume that there'll be more new stuff besides just the 8 live tracks.

As far as Afraid Of Sunlight (or anything else for that matter):

SW said,"I understand Parlophone / Warner Music Group plan to issue all 8 of the bands EMI era albums in similar form, but please note that I won't be doing 5.1 mixes for all these, alas I simply don't have the time, but I do have the tapes for Brave, and plan to do that one when I can (if you know the album I'm sure you'll agree with me that it should sound pretty epic in surround if I don't mess it up!)"

Though the "time issue" may be true, it may also just be a diplomatic way of saying "Yeah I just don't like their other albums that much". Remember SW is on record as saying he only works with albums he personally loves. I haven't been to his site in ages but IIRC he had a section with some sort of "what I'm listening to/enjoying at the moment" or something like that, so if those lists are archived have a look through them to see if anything by Marillion outside of MC and Brave have ever been included. That may offer a clue as to which other ones (if any) he may do in future.

What I'd like to see him do (since I'd imagine he must like the album - or even if he doesn't like it anymore at this point - over 20 years later - he'd probably welcome the opportunity to revisit it and correct whatever he may now consider its flaws) is the Fish album he played on/co-wrote/produced from 1997 'Sunsets On Empire'.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  6. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

won't buy this as I don't have 5.1 (didn't buy MC either); I do wish he'd done stereo remixes though as his stereo remixes are not to be overlooked IMO. I actually wish he'd remix the albums I don't think sounded so good, like Somewhere Else, and Happiness Is the Road, which sound mushy and bad to me.

7. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I guess there is a potential for unreleased material on the 5th disc. I missed that extra disc that has no mention of what's on it. It's also possible, knowing SW, it is a flat transfer of the original album or something like that.

I certainly hope for more unreleased material.

I have Brave (2 disc ed.), Made Again, Brave Live (2013), Brave Live (2002), and I think I've still got the 2cd Making of Brave set still. Despite it not being my favorite Hogarth era album.

8. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I would bet A LOT of money on the extra disc mainly repeating the old extra disc's stuff (but with new remastering). Why should it be any different from MC? I hope they will use the free space to fit on the demos and other extra tracks that were originally released on singles.
    He doesn't include new stereo mixes when he thinks they don't offer any additional value over the original mixes. See also the yet-to-be-released Tears for Fears set.

9. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I'm in!!!!!........this ranks as probably my least favourite Marillion album. I could never get into it. Listened to it many times and before I know it.....its compete and none of it has sunk in.....I also though the sound was poor.

So....hoping this maybe be the thing that makes it click.

"The original ‘Brave’ movie will not be included" - This seems a shame though......I'm sure many fans have it before, but would it not have been nice to collect it all in one set once and for all??

PS - take it I won't get a signed copy from Fish's website this time??

10. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Looking forward to this; my favorite H-era album. For whatever reason*, I only have Brave Live 2002 right now, so this'll likely be good value for me.

*original CD loaned out, never to return...somehow...

JulesRules likes this.
  11. The problem with this album was the middle. It starts really well, and the ending suite of songs from "Brave" through to the end is some of the best music they ever made. I liked the story, but I thought they let it down with slightly uninspired music in some spots. Always though the production was a bit too dense to hear all of what was going on so I'm really looking forward to SW's remix in 5.1.

Glad for this, but . . . the best H albums are Afraid of Sunlight, Marbles, and Sounds That Can't Be Made.

12. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I'm with you on AoS and Marbles, not sure about Sounds. I could make an argument for Anoraknophobia some days, and This Strange Engine on others. But AoS and Marbles are leagues above the rest, generally.

Markyp likes this.
  13. Part of what makes Brave 5.1 by SW pretty exciting. I'm ready to go in with ears and mind open and see what else is there. Looking forward.

Now if SW can just get on "In a Glass House."

And "Apple Venus, Vol. 1."

And a new No-Man album.

monotone, Matt S and westcoastkid like this.
  14. Pudding Effect

Pudding Effect Forum Resident

YES! Possibly my favourite album ever! I have an original UK LP, original UK CD, and the Made Again live set; this will be a wonderful addition.

15. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

For what it's worth, Steven has already said that this mix won't be as "conservative" as Misplaced Childhood. And exactly for that reason.

Ken.e. likes this.
  16. dpv2008

dpv2008 Forum Resident

Great news!

17. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I really hope Steve Wilson does a re-mix in both stereo and 5.1. Brave is a great album but can sound a little muddy in places. Over all though I think it sounds good. The end of Brave is just brilliant with a lot of stuff going on that is going to sound awesome in 5.1. The 2 CD remaster is not the worst sounding but it's not too good either. I have all the original CD singles from Brave but I hope SW remixes a few of those tracks also, just like he did with Lady Nina.

18. Yes. Dynamics are good, but when I'm listening to Brave and "Hollow Man" comes on, I literally cannot hear the parts. It sounds good, of course, if it turn it up, but then the sounds around it are excruciatingly loud. That's always been an annoyance. This album and Yes' "Talk" always seemed to have a little bit too much range for any system I've listened on.

19. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

Brave

Finally we're getting this beautiful album in 5.1.

I think "Brave" is my favorite Marillion's album.

Love every second of it.

FVDnz likes this.
  20. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

21. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

One of my favourite albums by one of my favourite bands remixed by one of my favourite artists but as I can't stomach Steven Wilson remixes, I will skip this.

22. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

If it’s one of your favourite albums by one of your favourite bands there should be enough value in this set for it to be a purchase despite the SW remix.

Jimijam and JulesRules like this.
  23. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Shelf space is a factor too. For the signed print and a book (which I would read once) I would be shelling out €100 and considering I don't like Steven Wilson remixes there is no value in the box for me personally. Maybe the CD/BR version will suit me better as it has the original Dave Meegan mix too.

24. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Release date is March 19th. Will be getting the CD/BR set for sure. Not sure yet if I will order from Marillion before February 16th to get the signed print.

PT

25. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Slightly more detail now up on the band's website. Includes both stereo and 5.1 stereo remixes by SW. Does not appear to include the original mix at 24/96, which is interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.