Marillion - Post-Fish

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Putnam39, Aug 5, 2017.

1. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

Daltrey is undeniably one of the all-time greats, but he had nothing to do with the songwriting, so I think The Who would've survived, especially with Townshend hitting his creative peak.

And there's a reason why those bands are so much less well known than the genre's bigger names. I also think Gentle Giant or Van Der Graaf relied more on tricky, intricate musicianship than Marillion ever did. Marillion, from the earliest days, and especially the last two Fish albums, were rooted more in traditional songwriting than something like Gentle Giant, IMO.

stodgers likes this.
  2. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

In the 70s The Who, Mr Daltrey was a bit more than just a singer & frontman. He was like an actor who played (sung) all those characters from Pete Townshend's imagination. I doubt that some other singer was able to doing that.
    Finally, Ken Russel didn't make mistake when he chose Roger Daltrey to play Tommy.

3. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

I've been discovering Holidays in Eden this week. Solid album, and the b-sides/alt tracklist songs are good too! My highlight is probably Splintering Heart, though; great tension and release and a very compelling song structure for sure.

PTgraphics likes this.
  4. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

The film came six years after the album. Its popularity was solidified by that point. The movie was made because the album (and tour) was so successful.

walrus likes this.
  5. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

Of course he was, because he was on the album, which was several years old by the time of the film. The Who weren't superstars in 1968, and Townshend's material was so good between 1969 and 1973 that I think it would've been successful regardless. Daltrey's vocals on Who's Next and Quadrophenia are phenomenal, but I think those records would've been successful as long as anyone with a good hard rock voice was singing them. It'd be like Back In Black...Angus & Malcolm's stuff was so good at that moment that it overcame the singer change. This is kind of a ridiculous hypothetical, though.

stodgers likes this.
  6. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Oh, and I have the Brave remix/reissue sitting at the post office waiting for me to pick it up when I am off on Friday. You know, just to get back on topic... :)

Mirror Image and seasonsinthesky like this.
  7. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

Marbles (double album version)
    F.E.A.R (a real grower for me)
    Seasons's End - worth it for the opening and title track alone!

Despite liking Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws, always preferred post-Fish Marillion.

rbbert, The_Windmill and serj like this.
  8. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Even if it wasn't a big surprise that Russell had given leading role to Daltrey, it was a surprise how much Daltrey was great in that role, that Russell was giving him leading role in his next film, Lizstomania.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 8:38 PM
  9. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Nice to see the Marillion fans representing in this thread. More than I thought there'd be.

D.D.

Mirror Image and Instant Dharma like this.
  10. Mirror Image

Mirror Image A Day Without Prog Is A Day Not Worth Living!

Thank you! I hate it when a topic is derailed. Will definitely like to know your opinion of the new Wilson remix. Will this be a first-listen for you or do you know Brave already?

11. Mirror Image

Mirror Image A Day Without Prog Is A Day Not Worth Living!

I plan to give F.E.A.R. another listen over the weekend. I enjoyed it on the initial listen.

Thoughtships likes this.
  12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Forum Resident

The Leavers is sublime.

13. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

This will be my first listen, and only my third Marillion album. I have owned Misplaced Childhood twice, and have Live at Cadogan Hall. I bought MC in college 25 years ago, but hated it and returned it. I just didn't connect with it, and hated Fish's voice. Many folks told me to try an H era album, but I just never did. Fast forward about 20 years and I see the LaCH disc really cheap at a store and buy it. Love it. As in, I can't stop playing it. So I saw MC at a used LP store and bought it again. Still don't like it. But am now willing to try more H material. Which lead me to Brave.

I love concept albums. I loved that specific era of prog music (Rush, Yes, Dream Theater). So I'm wondering how I will feel about this. We'll see soon enough!

Thoughtships likes this.
  14. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Agreed.

I love everything they've ever done aside from Brave, half of Afraid of Sunlight and Less is More.

15. M2225

M2225 Zhar the Mad

A lot of great Marillion music with H providing the pipes. Season's End, Holidays In eden, Brave, Radiation, Marbles are my favorites.
    I prefer the FISH era for historical reasons, but Marillion survived a lead singer change and survived for decades beyond that. I will always remain a supporter.

Instant Dharma and The_Windmill like this.
  16. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

There is so much excellent Marillion live from the past 10-15 years I’m not sure I would recommend any of the studio albums. I also tend to prefer the less “produced” (or less over-processed) sound of their live recordings.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Forum Resident

I agree. The last 3 albums have been terribly long winded but their dvd/blu ray releases are Fecking amazing.