Marillion's Misplaced Childhood Deluxe Edition incl. Steven Wilson 5.1 mix to be released in July

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FVDnz, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

Just curious since I am having trouble searching through the website, do they ship to the US? I was planning on ordering from amazon UK since there is the cheapest these releases are, but no sign of it being liste yet. Thanks!

2. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Yes the Super Deluxe came with a Blu-Ray which featured all of the new mixes as well as the Quad, flat transfer, etc...

Runicen likes this.
  3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

It is nice that Marillion have managed to hold onto a rabid fanbase for 30+ years. Even though they never really made it here in the US, they are still playing the same size venues, some even bigger than they used to be. I can't say I'm all that enthusiastic about their current musical direction, but I usually fork over for everything they (re)issue, along with Fish's solo material for that matter.

4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

5. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just ordered the Deluxe Set from their Racket Records store. To make the first 1000 copies to be signed by Mark, Ian, Rothers and Pete will be the icing on the cake, but maybe I'll have to go a step further and track down a Fish gig in the future so I can score that final autograph for completionist's sake. Awesome to hear that SW has the tapes for Brave too. Dave Meegan already produced that album spectacularly, so a stereo remix won't really be necessary. Album will sound extraordinary in 5.1 though. :)

And so, Lucy has revealed the EMI albums will have the same treatment over the next couple years. Sign me up! :)

dvcarrick likes this.
  6. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Also ordered the signed version, great

7. Awesome

Awesome Forum Resident

From their site:

Shipping outside Belgium or Netherlands
    Do you want the order delivered in a country other than the Netherlands and Belgium? Look in the table below for the correct rates.

Country Package Mail box
    Germany, Luxembourg 4.00 € - 8.00 € 3.45 €
    Other EU countries, Norway, Switzerland 9.50 € - 25.00 € 3.45 €
    North and Central America, Caribbean 17.00 € - 19.00 € 3.45 €
    Asia, Australia, New Zealand 17.00 € - 19.00 € 3.45 €
    Other countries 22.00 € 3.45 €

I think this will fit through the mailbox, so shipping would be 3,45
    bringing the total to 25,95

raimiz1991inc likes this.
  8. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Excellent. I'd always advocate getting these direct from either the Fish or Marillion websites; I suspect the artists see more cash that way. Brave and Afraid of Sunlight should be great in 5.1.

FVDnz likes this.
  9. Tempted. Love to hear this one in surround, especially when done by someone like Steven Wilson. The Utrecht live set looks like something amazing as well. If they'll master this properly I'll pick up a copy, but I'll wait for the first reviews here.

AdrianSoundchaser likes this.
  10. Sevoflurane

There are a couple of performances of Misplaced... out there; Thieving Magpie (bit lacking in atmosphere and sterile, plus they mucked up the bit just before White Feather) and one of the Front Row Club shows (15B). Another show will do no harm!

11. bobbydriver

bobbydriver Forum Resident

Did they muck it up? Childhood's End was missed out completely (which I seem to recall was because Fish's voice was too shot to sing it). A shame because it's probably my favourite bit and also the key conclusion to the whole concept

12. Sevoflurane

I've always assumed it was a mistake as during the transition into White Feather, Fish says something along the lines of "This is nice and simple, we should get this bit right". Childhood's End is on Thieving Magpie but is shortened. The FRC15B performance, while worse SQ, is complete and a better performance.

DaverJ likes this.
  13. Sevoflurane

I've confused myself now, as I think they play Childhood's End differently live on both the 1986 recordings I have, having just listened to both in the car vs. studio version. It looks like the last verse is left out. I'm going to have to listen properly at home again alongside the renditions of Side 2 from the Clutching... tour.
    Edit: the live versions run the guitar solo straight into the transition to White Feather, and the studio version has a verse between them. I've been listening to this album for 30 years and I have only just realised that.

14. magister345

magister345 Forum Resident

I always found "White feather" to be a completely disappointing ending to such a brilliant record.

calgary669 and marblesmike like this.
  15. Sevoflurane

Always went down well live, though. Usually got played at a faster tempo compared to the studio version.

16. Sevoflurane

I'll stop going on about this after this post, but it looks like all 3 renditions of Misplaced side 2 I can get my hands on(two different Hammersmith Odeon 1986 shows and one Milan 1988 show) omit the last verse of Childhood's End. Wonder why they did that? The only other live version I have is a cassette bootleg of the Fife Aid show (final show with Fish) but I can't find a cassette player....

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  17. Arjan

Arjan Senior Member

Fish has declared that Childhood's end put a strain on his voice and that they could drop the last verse without violating the concept of the album. It was only reinstated on the Fish 2005 Fish tour "Return to Childhood" where it was sung in a lower key.

18. Sevoflurane

This is why this forum is great. I learn new stuff every day!

dvcarrick likes this.
  19. Arjan

Arjan Senior Member

This a 2010 post from Fish on his own forum:

ytserush, Sevoflurane and DaverJ like this.
  20. AdrianSoundchaser

AdrianSoundchaser Forum Resident

The trouble is, I'd really like a copy signed by Fish. However, I don't want to throw away all that money if it turns out to be crappy sound. I put on my original 'made in Switerland' Misplaced CD last night and it sounded fantastic.

In two minds but the live discs will probably swing it.

bru87tr likes this.
  21. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Andy Pearce? Andy Walter?

Anybody who's name is not Andy?

22. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Well, I guess there goes any hope of SW doing any Genesis remixes.

geddyfleaharris likes this.
  23. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

24. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

And ordered... :D

25. Mike Riding

Mike Riding Forum Resident

Carserguev likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.