Marillion's Misplaced Childhood Deluxe Edition incl. Steven Wilson 5.1 mix to be released in July

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FVDnz, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I saw them at Nottingham Royal Concert Hall on Feb 14th 1988 (near to the Milan show which I agree is outstanding) and they played pretty much the same set, closing the main set with a phenomenal Side 2. The band may have been falling apart at this point but the live shows were remarkable. The gig was helped by having been postponed for a couple of weeks due to Fish having vocal problems, so he was well rested by the time of the show, and by the excellent acoustics of the venue. Edit: and the absence of the backing vocalist for the 1988 leg.

ytserush likes this.
  2. bobbydriver

bobbydriver Forum Resident

That's the mp3 download version - hence no mention of bluray and the immediate download of one pre-release track

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

OK, thanks! That's what I figured after being able to get on the correct link at Amazon.uk.

4. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

I'm a huge fan of Steven Wilson's mixes, so I will definitely get this. The last remaster sounds great except the bass is pumped up pretty high; it's one of the few CDs I play in my car where I have to turn the bass down when I crank up the volume, so I hope the new mix rectifies that. I will reuse the jewel case, though, because I can't stand boxes, slipcases, digipaks, etc.

5. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

You're a kind man. Thanks for the info!

6. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

EMail from Fish / His Shop to say that he has been told that this is a one pressing only deal, so grab it while you can.....

"I received this on an e mail this Parlophone today which puts a bit of a new pressure on us all as we both have to gauge the pre orders.

"Just so you are aware, this is a limited product so we are only doing one factory run! Once it’s gone, it’s gone – as they say! ""

Runicen likes this.
  7. AdrianSoundchaser

AdrianSoundchaser Forum Resident

Off to buy it now! Thanks for that.

8. AdrianSoundchaser

I was listening to the Hammersmith 84 disc from Early Stages last night and got excited all over again. They really were at the top of their game during this period. Fish's voice was amazing in the early days.

There was a concert broadcast on the BBC tv as part of their Sight and Sound series. A lot of the other shows from this series have appeared but not the Marillos. Fish's voice was shot as I remember, but it would still be nice to see it getting an official release.

9. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

The CD will NOT be remixed by Steven Wilson, only the 5.1 Blu-rayDisk. However it will be newly mastered by somebody else so maybe the bass will be less prominent.

deredordica likes this.
  10. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

As stated in the interview SW did create a new stereo master, just not included in the 5.1 box set. I assume this new stereo mix is what the vinyl is being cut from but we don't know who mastered it.
    Although I too feel the original stereo mix is fantastic, I still pretty much only play my original Capitol issue, Sterling Sound mastered record, mixed by Chris Kimsey.
    Pretty majestic sounding pressing.

bru87tr likes this.
  11. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

My original UK vinyl sounds good too.

Didn't Wally master the US pressing?

12. Catcher10

I'm not sure, don't think mine is stamped Wally. I will look tonight, for some reason I remember it is stamped sterling o, something like that??

13. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

I sent an e-mail to [email protected] to ask who mastered the CD. This was the answer:

Hi Richard,

It was remastered by the band from the original half inch analogue master and no ‘loudness war’ limiting was applied.

Regards,
    Racket Records.

14. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

YAY! Looks like it's gonna sound good! :goodie:
    I'm waiting till the price goes down a bit at Amazon though; I don't care about no signatures, and the price from the Marillion and Fish shops is a bit too high for my budget...

15. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Bloody hell, it's the only one out of the first four albums that I'm not bothered about getting a 5.1 mix for.

Clutching...
    Script
    Fugazi

In that order, please!

16. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

I am not convinced yet that it's gonna sound great (in stereo), but the signs are hopeful

17. Catcher10

I looked and not a wally.....it has STERLING small stamp and then a "O", don't know any engineer at Sterling with that symbol.

marblesmike likes this.
  18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I will pick this up.

19. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Can't say I really care what this sounds like, just give me the art, liners and the live stuff.

If I already own the best sounding or my favorite version of this already so be it.

20. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I'm not even sure if Permanent Waves is my favorite Rush album. It's up there though.

I've got some Fragiles. On CD, Original, 94 remaster, The Atlantic Masters box (I don't even think I ever opened that one.) Rhino.....I should probably sort that situation out at some point. Think I still have my vinyl copy too.

Got 2112s too. See 6 CD copies just with a head turn. It's a disease. Run away before you get infected.

21. AdrianSoundchaser

Yep. Buy the new version. Read the sleevenotes. Listen to the bonus tracks. Go back to the original version I've listened to for 30 years. Sounds familiar!

ytserush likes this.
  22. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

The latter part sounds great, the first part I'm not sure about. The band has released some pretty loud CDs in the last few years and I'm not sure which of the band members actually has any experience in professional mastering!

23. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

FVDnz and pinktree1 like this.
  24. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident Thread Starter

25. bobbydriver

bobbydriver Forum Resident

Just got the email from Amazon UK telling me that my order is now ready for advance auto-rip download

Exciting I thought - I can download the Utrecht gig and hear the new mastering but when I went to the page the download is actually the 1998 reissue double CD edition. Ah well. The wait goes on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.