Marilyn Manson Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin Rachman, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Kevin Rachman

Kevin Rachman Active Member Thread Starter

I recently got back into MM. Not a huge fan I'm not going to front, but i still want to purchase his "best" albums from the mid to late 90s- early 2000s on vinyl. Does anyone know or think MM will re-release his albums on vinyl. I know the 90s the primary music format was CDs. Marilyn Manson sold 100 million records worldwide so I dont know why he hasn't re-released anything. it's not like he was a nobody.

Also, my favorite official release is "The Last On Earth Tour". Any great band like Led Zeppelin/ The Smashing Pumpkins/The Cure Sound better live than on the album. The true test of a band is how they sound live. Anyone who likes live albums knows what I mean.

2. I think most of the popular 90's records will be reissued if they haven't been already. Many which were never released before on vinyl are starting to get reissued for the first time and the idea of reissuing on vinyl is only gaining in popularity. Tool recently said they are planning to reissue their entire catalogue on vinyl and I would imagine artists like Marilyn Manson are not far behind.

Lucca90 and Kevin Rachman like this.
  3. Kevin Rachman

Makes Sense did you read that article from the Wall Street Journal said vinyl is going to die because 80% of records are sourced from CDs and they are poor quality. Do you think the industry will finally smarten up or too little too late.

4. Majestyk

Majestyk Forum Resident

I'd buy Mechanical Animals...if the reviews were good.

5. jujuhounds

jujuhounds Active Member

I'd rather we get Heaven Upside Down news before any vinyl reissue news!

6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

What are his best albums? "Antichrist" & "Animals"?

In the current state of affairs I don't think the artist has much of a say concerning vinyl reissues. It's more a case of "Here is a digital copy, make an in-house cut and press some records!"

I missed out on vintage MM vinyl except for "Mechanical Animals" where I had both versions but at one point decided that I couldn't keep two copies of an album I'm only revisiting every five years. Sold the Simply Vinyl, kept the US original with the two separate sleeves and alternate running order.

To answer your question: If whoever holds the rights to these albums thinks there is money to be made, you will see a reissue. If not you could always alert Music On Vinyl and suggest a reissue.

Personally I'm fine if they don't reissue everything. Gotta keep a bit of that mystique:righton:

Kevin Rachman likes this.
  7. jujuhounds

jujuhounds Active Member

bear in mind also that Trent Reznor 'lost' the MM masters, so the vinyl couldn't be sourced from the original tapes until Trent releases them.

Unless he actually did destroy them.

8. Kevin Rachman

wow, i had no idea Trent "lost" the masters. I know they had their problems, but that is cold blooded. Do you know if the lacquers still exist or its all "gone"

seed_drill likes this.
  9. Kevin Rachman

Question: Have you considered re-releasing any of your older albums with remastered tracks, b-sides, and other goodies? Antichrist Superstar turns ten years old next year. Is there any possibility of fans getting to hear an improved mix of this milestone album in the future?
    Manson: I'd like to say yes, but there’s a legal matter pending that I can’t say too much about. It’s very hard to believe this, but representatives from Nothing Records have indicated that they are not able to find, or have lost the master recordings to my first three records. It's not something that you would ever let happen in musical history. I would imagine something like that could only be intentional. If not intentional, it would have to be done only through complete disregard. Now that Nothing Records doesn't exist, I think there’s only one of two people responsible for that. Out of those two people, there's only one that really has an opinion of me that is voiced very often.

I'm often painted as the bad guy in a relationship—in most relationships. I will not deny that I am an ******* at times. I will not deny that I'm probably completely insane, and most people will agree with that. I don't betray people that I care about. I don't forsake people that are important to me and I would do anything for someone I love. I don't know what kind of people do things like that. It's erasing history. It's erasing your life's work. It's killing a part of you. I don’t know how to react to it. I'd just like to wait and see what happens because it may be just a terrible mistake. I would hope so for those involved

10. xfilian

xfilian Well-Known Member

I am lucky enough to have Mechanical Animals, Holywood and Antichrist Superstar on vinyl. I bought them back in the day when I was at college and Manson was the big thing. They cost me relatively little at the time. The Antichrist Superstar LPs are actually 'new' and have only been played once. A quick glance now reveals them to be probably the most valuable albums that I own.

I rate Holywood to be his best album by a fair chalk. It is a very strong suite of songs and it holds together well. I used to love Antichrist but I have not listened to it for years - I have no real desire to to be honest. Maybe I will in the near future. Never quite bonded with MA in the way I did with the other two. I found it to be very patchy - brilliant in parts and very weak in others. I always felt that Manson was underrated though. I guess the thing with being a shock rocker is that it does bring you a lot of attention but many people then dismiss you as a rather vacuous one trick pony. Unfair in Manson's case as he has written some great songs and some superb lyrics as well as being a very articulate and intelligent individual.

I think Pale Emperor was a very good album and incidentally it sound fabulous on vinyl - certainly superior to the CD to my eyes. His latest album seems to be somewhat delayed - perhaps to do with his father's passing earlier this year?

Kevin Rachman and seed_drill like this.
  11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well.... "tapes" is a rather vague term when it comes to 90's recordings. I don't think Simply Vinyl cut "Antichrist" or "Mechanical Animals" from an actual tape. Bear in mind that their pressing follows the cd's running order while the Nothing version has an exclusive sequence. So whatever they got send to work with is probably still there. At least as copy. Maybe even their stampers have survived, their runs weren't enormous.

So I guess if the legal aspects can be solved, it could be done. But all of the above explains why prices for early MM vinyl are outrageous.

12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator Forum Resident

what is the source of that? it seems to be ten years old at least.

13. Kevin Rachman

NIN Wiki I couldn't find anything recent.

14. Kevin Rachman

MM sold 100 million records. Im sure some South American or Eastern European country has an analog source that when mixed and mastered correctly would sound amazing. Most people who buy LPs dont know (DONT CARE).

15. KDubATX

KDubATX Forum Resident

I would scoop Portrait on vinyl in a second, but would pass on re-issues of the rest of the catalog.

16. Kevin Rachman

Just saw Marilyn Manson and Zane Lowe interview in it at around 24:00 he talks how they mended thier relationship and he is willing to collaborate again

17. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Forum Resident

I've heard it - believe me, a beer coaster is maybe the only valid medium for this turd.

18. Kevin Rachman

Kill4Me isnt that bad. Its not bad. We know where you f*cking live: is garbage

19. jujuhounds

jujuhounds Active Member

I have listened to Heaven Upside Down 15 times today. It is so great from top to bottom. Everything Manson does is awesome.

20. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Forum Resident

opposite day in your neck of the woods?

21. dumaisaudio

dumaisaudio Member

I have the Back To Black reissue of Mechanical Animals, which retains the running order of the original US pressing. I had an original pressing (the blue and white vinyl one) and sold it a long time ago, regretting it later. Was glad to pick up the BTB pressing for $20 when it originally came out. The pressing sounds great. The Hot Topic reissues are horrible from what I've read. ACS has to be from a CD, and the reissue of POAAF is likely CD as well. I'd say the Simply Vinyl pressings are the way to go, though they're sky high in price now.

As someone already said, I don't think Manson has much say in whether or not the records get reissued. And unless it's getting remastered from source material, there's no real point anyway because it will probably be coming from a CD.

As far as the lost tapes thing is concerned, I don't think the blame lies with Trent personally. I doubt he personally controls the vaults of Nothing Records, it's likely controlled by representatives of Interscope or by the management of Nothing Records (which no longer exists by the way). He also famously sued his former manager in 2005 and won several million in damages, so it's possible that the ex-manager was somehow responsible for the mismanagement of assets. I just think that comment makes people thing that Trent personally did something with the tapes, and I doubt that even Manson thinks that.

22. Kevin Rachman

true but Im assuming since Manson sold 100 Million plus, Interscope should logically think oh this guy made us a lot of money maybe we should keep the best quality of his music intact its worth a lot? Then again i here the horror stories of huge artists master tapes being kept in horrible conditions and how labels like capital transfered all their big artist master tapes to hi rez cd files and didnt keep proper care of their master tapes. So sad that most of our favor artist keep their master tapes in horrible condition unlike the grateful dead or Frank Zappa

23. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Well-Known Member

I would pick up Mechanical Animals in a heartbeat if it was re-issued.

24. Kevin Rachman

The Last Tour on Earth Live Record would be a dream

25. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Just ordered the new album.
    After reading the last few posts of this thread, it sounds discouraging. I was hoping for a great album to back up Pale Emperor.