Mark Levinson Red Rose Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MagicAlex, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus Thread Starter

I have a feeling that I am going to show my audiophilic ignorance here...I have seen Red Rose recordings offered lately on SACD and have read the catalog descriptions pumping these babies up. I just got an email announcing a new SACD release - New Haven Brass Quintet/Volume IV - Red Rose Music Single Layer Stereo SACD.

Can anyone tell me a little bit about these recordings and why they are so wonderful? Which are best? Thanks!

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Makes two of us, Magic....

ED:cool:

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

A few weeks ago, didn't somebody around here mention they don't really sound that good. Maybe they posted a bad review of the discs. Can't remember. Maybe it was ummm somewhere I read a thing about, huh?, I forgot what... Who are you and why am I standing in this toilet? Sorry, I had a "grey" moment.

Mr. Purveyor? Any excavations?

4. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus Thread Starter

I'll give you an "A" for effort anyway...:)

5. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I haven't heard of the new Red Rose Music release, but I can tell you a little about the others.

Volume 1 is a new direct to DSD recording made by Mark Levinson (with loaned equipment from Sony) in his New York showroom/venue. It is the only hybrid SACD/CD from Red Rose.

The others (again, I don't know about the new one) are SACD releases of material that Mark had released on LP more than 20 years ago. Mark had an audiophile label that had released less than 10 LPs. He (either personally, or at least was in charge) recorded the material, if memory serves. The LPs were pressed in France and got rave reviews in the audiophile press (again, if memory serves).

The SACDs are DSD transfers from the original tapes recorded for the LPs. I believe some of the titles may have bonus tracks.

I've read numerous reviews about the Volume 1 (the hybrid) disc and almost all said that it had a "you are there" quality to the SACD layer that was amazing.

6. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

I haven't heard, but have heard that the one to get is the Herb Pomeroy Big band< its a live recording!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.