Marquee Moon is truly timeless

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Halfwit, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

South Florida
    Damn, that reads just like a magazine piece! Are you a professional writer, ralphb? If not, you should be.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    quakerparrot67 and ralphb like this.
  2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I managed to get Waldorf on CD, and it's worth having. The down side - and it's not minor - is the cost of it now. So yeah, including it as a bonus would be quite something, even for long term fans.

Adventure isn't as good as Marquee Moon. but it's still worth having. Also, the CD reissues last time around included fantastic booklets, with lengthy articles about the genesis of the band, and their sound.

What's doubly interesting about Television for me, is that the two lead guitarists Verlaine and Lloyd, went into very different solo careers. Verlaine carried on with what I'll call "the Television sound", but Lloyd floundered a bit, going for a more Power Pop sound. Ultimately, neither have managed a lucrative career, discography wise.
    douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  3. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Baltimore, MD
    I was set up to expect great things after getting the Ork 45 and hearing all of the buzz about the
    shows at C.B.G.B.'s. The Marquee Moon album was not a disappointment, and in fact seemed to
    blend their punk/experimental/art side with a solid two-guitar 'West Coast' sound that updated
    the great 60s/70s guitar groups like Quicksilver Messenger Service and U.K. bands like Man and
    Trees (circa the On The Shore LP). The 'Grateful Dead' comparisons in the rock press at the time
    spoke more to the depth of the reviewers' record collection than to the actual sound of Television.
    Neither Tom nor Richard seemed to play any Jerry Garcia leads...but there was plenty of John
    Cipollina, Gary Duncan, Barry Melton and Ken Williams licks showing up in odd places.
  4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

There's some interesting info in the booklet for the CD of Marquee Moon regarding the sound. Apparently, the label had booked them into a studio with the guy who had worked on Led Zep's albums. On the day the band arrived in the studio, everything was set up ready for them. On hearing the drum sound - which was Zep's sound - Verlaine asked for everything to be changed. The guy brought in to produce said: "Well, I assumed that's why I was hired, you want to sound like Zep."

Once they had made it clear that was not what they wanted, the producer was persuaded to leave the studio and not come back, on the agreement that no-one would tell the record company. That left the band to create the sound they wanted.....
    driverdrummer and Lightworker like this.
  5. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

When I first heard Richard Thompson I thought, "Wow, Tom Verlaine isn't as innovative as I thought he was".
  6. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Now I'm fantasizing about Zep songs I wished Television had covered. Kashmir? The whole of Presence?
    douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  7. eeglug

eeglug Forum Resident

Chicago, IL, USA
    It's a fanciful story but I don't believe the 'being told to leave and not come back' part. Richard Lloyd himself implies on his web page of Andy Johns continued involvement in the recording of the album. (Someone posted the link to it earlier in this thread.) I do believe the part about dismantling the trademark Zep sound though.

Even after all these years everybody has to appear to be just so damn rock'n'roll. :cool:
    MagneticNorthpaw likes this.
  8. Lightworker

Baltimore, MD
    I forgot about the Fairport contingent. Spot on.
  9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Brooklyn, New York
    This will be interesting, to say the least. Coming at the end of October.
  10. What I thought was amazing or at least interesting, was that Verlaine originally wanted (or at least thought he wanted) none other than Rudy Van Gelder to engineer their first album. (At least according to the liners of the CD issue with the bonus tracks.)
    driverdrummer, Lightworker and Guy E like this.
  11. Lightworker

Baltimore, MD
    Makes sense, considering Tom's musical tastes and his 'preferred' guitar tone.
  12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Just reading the booklet now. The story is told through quotes from both Verlaine and Lloyd. It does conclude with the Producer (Andy Johns) coming back once recording was over, and that he heard it and said: "Jesus, this is great." They also say he did some "basic tracking". It seems from what I can make out that Mr. Johns worked on some stuff, they didn't like the sound, so he went off "to California" apparently without telling the record company, and then returned to listen later on. Sadly, right at that point the booklet switches from being general information to a track by track analysis, so there's nothing more.

Obviously, I don't know what's true. Likely you're right, and it's "all rock and roll". Either way, someone sure made the right decision regarding the sound.
    eeglug likes this.
  13. The Lew

The Lew Forum Resident

West Wales
    My youngest son recently bought it on CD at a give away price. I gave it a listen and its quite good after missing it completely when it came out.
    Neonbeam likes this.
  14. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Boogie With Stu.
  15. ralphb

Brooklyn, New York
    Will a song called "Persia" do?
    linclink and Ignatius like this.
  16. Spitfire

Spitfire Forum Resident

Pacific Northwest
    Listening to the Rhino vinyl right now. Awesome
    driverdrummer and sonofjim like this.
  17. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Wow! I never heard of this. At first it reminded me of an old Clark-Hutchinson raga jam, but then Verlaine started playing...
    Lightworker likes this.
  18. ZenMango

ZenMango Well-Known Member

One of my all-time favorite albums. Hauntingly beautiful songs....It definitely holds up- played the LP to my 30 yr old son in law, and he went out and bought it the next day.
    Their follow-up, Adventure, doesn't get mentioned much, but I also think it's excellent (not Marquee Moon, but a very enjoyable listen).
  19. Lightworker

Baltimore, MD
    Thank God...
    Man at C&A likes this.
  20. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum Resident

Fort lauderdale
    I love Television, I only own a handful of late seventies CBGB related albums against literally thousands of sixties albums and I LOVE Television. The track Marquee Moon is an absolute favorite.

I read here about the influences and agree. Certainly the track resonates West Coast pysch such as QMS.

I also believe that Shazam by the Move is a huge influence in the track.
    Lightworker likes this.
  21. I got an advance copy. Very good read.
    ralphb and Vaughan like this.
  22. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Ordered. Thanks for the heads up.
  23. Lightworker

Baltimore, MD
    The slow build in the Move's version of "The Last Thing On My Mind" comes to...uh...mind.
  24. sonofjim

sonofjim Forum Resident

I've been reserving judgement on anything for the past week or so while I worked out some retubing issues with my system. Just spinning the Rhino reissue of Adventure now and am finding it to be stunning. Another very good album I simply had missed altogether to this point.

I can't speak for the Four Men With Beards reissue but I generally don't trust that label. The Rhino is worth hunting down.
    pobbard and Lightworker like this.
  25. ralphb

Brooklyn, New York
    Adventure tends to get a bad rap because it followed Marquee Moon, but it's an excellent album that didn't come off as a retread of it's illustrious predecessor. The inclusion of the title track might have helped people like it more.