Marquee Moon is truly timeless

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Halfwit, Jul 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

2. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

samthesham, quakerparrot67 and ralphb like this.
  3. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Go immediately to "A Sailor's Life" off "Unhalfbricking", and then you will have it.

Anyone else? By all means add different tracks where RT goes V.

4. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Fairport, "Poor Will and the Jolly Hangman"

5. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Thompson: Yes (but likely due to the influences of the bands listed below)
    Dead: No (but plenty of Quicksilver/Mad River/Jefferson Airplane/Frumious Bandersnatch and other Bay area acts...Lloyd even references Savage Resurrection in one interview I read).

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Television came out within the same crowd (CBGB) that gave us Talking Heads too. They were never punk, just young guys who happened to crop up in New York around the time of Punk and it's low-fi performers. Those New York based bands were more focused on their sound, the connection with the rough-riders is only slight, imo.

Same applies to a lot of punk bands, actually. The Vibrators were a pub rock band prior to latching on to punk to get a foothold. The Stranglers were - generally speaking - old guys with plenty of miles on the road before Peaches.

7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I see, for others:

skip to 6 minutes if you must. :)

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  8. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Hell yes, lots of 'em too.

I am a massive Deadhead and I find lots of stuff at least in the earlier, more energetic days ('67-'69) and also in the more jazzy jamming of '73 that is really Television-y in my mind. But only live not on the studio albums.

ralphb likes this.
  9. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Not sure why anyone would think the members of Television couldn't have been familiar with Fairport Convention or Richard Thompson? Pere Ubu were fans, I know that!

10. quakerparrot67

quakerparrot67 Forum Resident

more that verlaine and lloyd have both gone on the record as not being familliar with thompson, quicksilver, etc, and discounted any similarities in sound. i can deff. hear the quicksilver and thompson similarities/influences, for what it's worth.

cheers,
    rob

11. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

I bought it when it came out.College stations were playing complete sides.It is a wonderful LP and resembles nothing else that was coming out of CBGBs at that time.Another great overlooked guitar album from the post punk era is Jody Harris&Robert Quine Escape it is all instrumental but it is just as good as Marquee Moon IMO.Also Verlaine took the Paisley Underground group True West under his tutelage for a while and while the Hollywood Holiday LP from 1983 is very good the 2nd album Drifters sounds very much Television.Both True West albums are worth hearing if one really digs Television as is the Quine-Harris LP.

12. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Great news....my father's place is due to reopen across the street at the "ROSLYN HOTEL"!!!!The blasters are scheduled to appear in august!!!!Now if only W.L.I.R.92.7 F.M. would make a comeback!!!

13. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

It was pointed out to me in another thread that Malcolm Mclaren stole the visual look for The Sex Pistols & therefore the whole UK punk scene directly from Richard Hell.

ralphb and Vaughan like this.
  14. Young and Restless

Young and Restless Forum Resident

I totally concur that it is a stone cold classic.
    But... it took me a long time to "get" M. Moon.
    I've had it on CD since the early 90s, but only had a minor appreciation of it. Angular.
    It wasn't until i found an original vinyl copy that it all made sense.
    Probably because the early CD version sucks, but something could also be said here about the magic of vinyl.
    This is truly an album that makes better sense to the listener on vinyl. Or at least to me it did....
    Gold, Jerry, gold!

15. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Busted out the first couple Tom Verlaine CDs thanks to this thread. And streamed—then bought (on CD)—Words From the Front afterwards. Living legend. Looking forward to continue through the discography tomorrow.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    ralphb likes this.
  16. Once again I was at a local pub this Sunday (the Royal Oak on Kent, for my fellow Ottawa denizens) and they played "Marquee Moon". For a location that usually only plays contemporary hits and classic rock, I was somewhat taken aback.

17. Young and Restless

Neil quoting Neil... ;)

Do you mind if i ask what's that in the upper right corner of your avitar, FW666?
    Doesn't read like tonight's the night... which is my fave NY album by the way...
    And that's another album that i did not "get" until i listened to the vinyl version
    Had the CD of Tonight's the Night for years, and it just sat on the shelf.
    Like Marquee Moon, it just didn't speak to me until i heard it on wax....
    Rather karmic, that...

18. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Love the album as well. Funny, I think you're the first to notice that. It's a Photoshopped edit of the cover, with a Darkthrone logo superimposed where it usually shows "Neil Young / Tonight's the Night". The TTN cover superficially reminds me of this Darkthrone 'Transylvanian Hunger' album cover, so I thought it was a subtle way to smuggle a unique element into my presence on this forum.

19. Young and Restless

Wow, thanks for sharing that story and also for including that photo image of Darkthrone!
    You're right, the two album covers are certainly reminiscent of each other.
    But to be honest, not sure that i would have seen that directly without you pointing it out.
    Many thanks for sharing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.