MARVEL'S Doctor Strange - November 4, 2016*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by zobalob, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member Thread Starter

alexpop likes this.
  2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Viggo Mortenson As Dr. Strange...please!

wavethatflag and zobalob like this.
  3. zobalob

Yes!

Assuming that Brian Blessed isn't available... (joke)...although he has boxed with the Dalai Lama.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'll watch anything by them...love 'em.

5. Michael

seconded! great actor! he looks like my Uncle!

6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Maybe he's considered overexposed now, but I think Benedict Cumberbatch would make a great Dr. Strange.

7. zobalob

Between Benedict, Viggo and Michael's uncle then (how old is your uncle Michael, I have the feeling that he must be very well preserved?).

8. Michael

9. zobalob

:wave: Thanks. Two years older than me then...hmm...where and when are the auditions I wonder!. Hire me and reduce the budget considerably! Well a little at any rate.

Michael likes this.
  10. Michael

you're welcome!
    ...wish I had a pic of my Uncle...the resemblance is uncanny!

zobalob likes this.
  11. zobalob

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    Purple Jim likes this.
  12. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Sounds like a great idea...

13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

By the Sons of Satannish! Let this film not be an embarrassment!

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm with you, that's my big fear.

15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I wish they'd make a Defenders movie. I have a dream cast in mind, though one which defies age and mortality:

Doctor Strange - Ethan Hawke
    Nighthawk - Tom Cruise
    Hellcat - Amy Adams
    Son of Satan - Robert Redford
    Gargoyle - CGI voiced by Ernest Borgnine
    Devil-Slayer - Bradley Cooper (THE COOP!)
    Valkryie - Charlize Theron

They'd fight The Six-Fingered Hand. Lots of occult type stuff. Have J.M. DeMatteis be a consultant. IT WOULD BE AWESOME!

Tree of Life and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  16. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Ant-Man and now Dr. Strange are Marvel scraping the bottom of the barrel, at least as far as the general public will be concerned, I predict.

17. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

alexpop likes this.
  18. Marvel will have truly scraped the bottom of the barrel when Shuma-Gorath makes an appearance in their cinematic universe... (and that's coming from a long time fan of this particular giant tentacled creature!)

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

20. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Unfortunately I neglected a lot of Dr. Strange in my comic book days. I will say that sometimes, I think that instead of live action combined with heavy CGI, some of these movies would benefit from being fully to partly animated, a la Beowulf. If it saves any money (and I'm not sure it does), they could use it for some of the script/plot development and end up with a better picture.

21. Reader

Reader Senior Member

If they can come close to the atmosphere of the Ditko era Dr. Strange it will be some movie. I hope Mr. Steve Ditko earns a few coins from this. He has not been treated well for all his work in creating the characters and making them have the value they have. He's an old man now and deserves much better than he's got.

Dr. Strange , for me, is his best character. I'm sure many will disagree with that but to each their own. Looking forward to the movie. I hope it is done as a serious movie with no tongue-in-cheek.

Neil Anderson and Shawn like this.
  22. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Great actor, not to sure about the director Scott Derrickson:

Deliver Us from Evil
    I Sinister
    The Day the Earth Stood Still
    The Exorcism of Emily Rose

23. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It's hard to say how Ditko's been treated. He's been given plenty of opportunities to speak out, but has never done so. I really wish he'd consent to one interview before he's gone.

So far as Cumberbatch goes, I'm not too excited. He's suffering from overexposure and I was hoping they'd expand their casting choices a bit and put an Asian in the role.

24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Ditko himself would likely disagree with you about that. Based on what I've read about him (from people who've spoken to him as well as from his own writings) he believes he received what he earned, and that he is not entitled to anything more than that. And he most certainly is not willing to do anything to seek additional money for his various creations or work derived from them. He's an idiosyncratic man with a unique set of beliefs. If he wanted, there are several things he could easily do that would likely make him hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of dollars. But he is not willing to do them because they contradict his values.

25. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

He’s not over-exposed. Sherlock is not nearly as well-seen as the vastly inferior Elementary, here in the states. He was a villain in the last Star Trek film, and he is Smaug in The Hobbit, and he’s played supporting roles in a handful of other films. I don’t see how that makes him over-exposed.

But, even if he was, I’m not big on assigning a negative spin on an actor, just because they’ve had some fame - hello, Robert Downey, jr! And, I don’t think anyone ever said, “Not another Sean Connery movie!!!! Arggg!!”

As to Ditko - yeah, the man needs to be properly recognised and remunerated. His Doctor Strange stories occupied a universe that probably could not have been recreated on the screen until the SFX processes evolved well-past the first ten years of CGI development. And, his Spider-Man stories are *still* being mined for gold by Sony. I still rue the day he left Marvel - I know he had issues with the company, but he needed a strong writer. His worst failing was thinking he could do what Stan Lee did. But, you could say that about a lot of classic artists, I guess, and I know they were not unjustified in being unhappy with the financial situation, or the rights to characters they created - but, that is a separate issue to what makes someone a good writer.

CrazyCatz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.