MARVEL'S Doctor Strange - November 4, 2016*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by zobalob, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Swings and roundabouts, I guess. But, if he got what the Jack Kirby estate has - credit and remuneration for creating the look & feel of very popular books & movies - he would be a rich man.

On the other hand, he’s being admirably principled in his position. The characters he’s most identified with - Spider-Man and Doctor Strange - were created by others. But, without his fantastically detailed depictions, who knows if those books would have been as successful?

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Not so. Ditko is the primary (if not sole) creator of Doctor Strange. He came up with the idea for the character entirely by himself, and he plotted and drew the first Doctor Strange without any input from Stan Lee. Stan's sole contribution to that first story was to write the dialogue, and possibly to suggest the name (it is unclear who came up with the character's name). As for Spider-Man, I would argue that Ditko's contributions (the costume, web-shooters, and likely co-plotting the first origin story) constitute co-creation. Ditko feels that way, and Stan has said he considers Ditko the co-creator.

Ditko wouldn't even have to pursue legal action like the Kirby heirs did. He could make a lot of money doing cover re-creations and other commissions, or by signing autographs, or by doing one last Spider-Man story with Stan. But he refuses to do any of those things. He's also reportedly sitting on a pile of his original art that could be auctioned for hundreds of thousands (if not millions) but he refuses to sell it. He truly does value his unique principles over all else.

3. davenav

I stand corrected. Thank you.

I must say his principles are baffling to me. Aside from the money, I don't know why a creator would not wish to return to their creation.

But, hey ho. Genius gets the benefit of the doubt, in my book.

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Ditko's reasons for not wanting to return to Spider-Man and Doctor Strange are that he feels he has already said what he had to say with the characters, and that no matter what he did it would not live up to the work he did previously, in the eyes of the fans. Pretty much the same reasons Bill Watterson will never draw Calvin and Hobbes again. There is some similarity between the two guys. Both eschew interviews/publicity (though Ditko is much more extreme than Watterson in that area) and both have left piles of money on the table rather than violate their principles.

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Principles? Perhaps. Or perhaps it's the will of Dormammu, who must be obeyed.

[​IMG]

smilin ed likes this.
  6. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Or if he's not available, perhaps Fake Viggo Mortenson from that "2014 Worst Movies" thread would suffice? :p

7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, I do hope that they don't make it too dark and mysterious in the other dimensions. I want to see bright funky worlds with colourful swirls of ectoplasme and...stuff. My Dormammu avatar shows how frustrated and impatient I am to see this film.

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Here's the doctor movie I want to see. He's always been a favorite.

[​IMG]

9. davenav

Man, I'd love that!

But, FOX's disastrously incompetent handling of the FF make it a long shot, especially in the crowded superhero glut coming up.

The Silver Surfer, too. You have to be staggeringly bad at your job to have messed that one up, but somehow they did it.

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Total bull****. I'd like to slap both of them silly. Idiots.

Bingo.

dkmonroe and wayneklein like this.
  11. Really? I've always felt that Dr. strange was a terrific character and the comics were pretty well plotted, while Ditko's artwork was top notch. Ant-Man not so much. Did you even read these comics as a kid?

12. I like him. He's a working actor so can't complain about that. It's not like he's guest starring on e dry TV show or in every movie.

Actor's gotta eat and he'll do a fine job IMO.

13. If Fox had been wise they would have done the Silver Surfer spinoff after FFII. I have the feeling that those (which are pretty entertaining...they did get some things right--they aren't very good movies but I still find them fun) will seem li,e masterpieces compared to the radical reboot. I realize that the SS movie got stuck in development hell but if they aren't goi g to use the character sell it back to Marvel who will.

14. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I'm surprised the reboot of the FF is being allowed, It sounds like a nightmare.

wayneklein likes this.
  15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I don't know. I'm hesitant to brand someone an idiot just because their belief system doesn't comport with mine, or doesn't make sense to me. To me it's kind of admirable to see someone place their personal values above money, even if it's something I would never do if I was in their position.

drasil, Lonson and zobalob like this.
  16. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member Thread Starter

Why, in your opinion, are they idiots?.

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Vidiot and dkmonroe like this.
  18. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

kagentry likes this.
  19. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It could be fantastic if they go all out with the effects (and that doesn't mean make them photo-realistic CGI), but I have my doubts.

It's too bad they can't get Steve Ditko involved.

[​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  20. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

smilin ed and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  22. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

More likely the will of Ayn Rand.

23. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I just hope they don't try to tie it all in with all the other movies. No harm in having some self contained franchises.

But they will.

I think this will be the undoing because it will make it difficult to sign up top-flight directors.

Top Director to Marvel - "I have this fantastic vision of A doing B and then ending at C!"

Marvel to Top Director - "Ahh well no..A will have to do B and C and D with E, F and G ending up at both H and J and possibly K!"

Top Director - "So what you are saying is 80% of my movie will have to be re-written or removed to fit in with your existing universe and other franchises? I'm outta here!"

Tree of Life and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
  24. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

He got a name check in The Winter Soldier.

25. If Dr. Strange (a brilliant comic I might add) is scrapping the barrel, it must be a very wide barrel with a false bottom quite close to the top.

drasil likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.