Marvel’s Agent Carter

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by musicalbeds, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I'm enjoying it. The retro style is fun too.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm guessing it's because the name of the show is Agent Carter and not Howard Stark. The show is her story, not the story of an eccentric playboy millionaire who's on the run because of possible misappropriation of funds.

Karnak likes this.
  3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I noticed she is in Avengers: Age of Ultron and Ant-Man.

4. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I finally caught the first episode, and I am very impressed. The production is well done, and reminiscent of the first Captain America film, which I loved.

The big sets and soft focus camerawork harken back to the forties, while the tight editing and sharp dialogue remind me of the early Bond films.

I'm ready, and on-board for the rest of it! (And, I sure could not say that about Marvel's only failure - Agents Of SHIELD)

5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

So far I'm not liking it as much as I thought I would. I suppose it's because I have a problem with Marvel's "Universe" strategy, where I have to watch Agent Carter in order to understand events in Agents of SHIELD and subsequent movies - it feels like homework.

I haven't seen the third episode yet.

Lonson likes this.
  6. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

i don't have much trouble w/following the shows characters nor plots; tho i grew up w/Tony Stark.
    i don't have any knowledge of the modern "Captain America" or "Avengers" movie franchises tho; so her being such an effective fighter does knock me out a bit.
    Otherwise it's a pretty straight forward 40's pulp scifi/spy stuff.

The 'series speak' is more reminiscent of 40's movies to me; although they do stop short of the overspeaking dialog of some of the best 40's films [such as Hawk's "His Girl Friday].

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I wanted to like this but it's not doing it for me. Interesting point about the show being like homework, though that isn't bothering me, it's the silly writing of the bulter and the agency chief, etc. I may stop watching. The third episode didn't help me get involved.

carrick doone likes this.
  8. DreadPikathulhu

The series is only supposed to last eight episodes and I bought a season pass, so I'm in it to the end.

I have to say that the only superhero show that I really like right now is The Flash, and that's because it's fun and mostly self-contained.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

10. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The ratings are fine for a limited-run series, especially since "day after" ratings are near-worthless in our "most people watch either on DVR or stream on Hulu after the fact" world. Did you read that part about how Agents of Shield becomes a 3.0 in the target demographic once 7 days of DVR numbers are added? I bet nearly the same thing happens with Agent Carter. This is the world as it is now, it's no longer the "people glued to their TV and sitting through commercials" world.

11. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I am enjoying it, as are my wife and 2o year old daughter.
    I've always liked the 1940's era shows and movies (Christmas Story, Homefront TV show, and now Agent Carter).
    I also like the fact that the show portrays a strong woman character, without being goofy like that other Carter, Linda Carter in Wonder Woman. While she was great to look at, her role and especially her acting were downright embarrassing.

I hope it picks up audience as it goes along. I could enjoy watching this TV show for a while!

12. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

BIG ED likes this.
  13. DreadPikathulhu

[​IMG]

BIG ED likes this.
  14. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Old people still watch broadcast TV. Old people love CBS.

15. ............ and they're already messing with the schedule. Off next week then back the week after. Surefire way for me to completely miss an episode then just give up on a show altogether.

BIG ED and Vidiot like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They like the show better? The characters are more identifiable and the stories are more accessible? Just a guess.

There's at least 10 shows I would miss completely if I couldn't do a season pass on the fake-Tivo. I let the DVR figure out when and where the show is on, and I eventually catch up to all the episodes.

17. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

The Quantum Leaper...or is that leper?

18. DreadPikathulhu

I think of him more as Captain Archer, but I assume the sizable older demographic is tuning into CSI: New Orleans to see him.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Too bad not many of his fans tuned into his previous series Men Of A Certain Age, with Ray Romano & Andre Braugher! Such a fantastic show.

Mr. E. Tramp likes this.
  20. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

offED topic:
    JJ
    It wasn't on old people CBS!
    It was on new people TNT!
    [again JJ]

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

But does it matter? Surely people watch programs, not networks.

22. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

CBS is comfort viewing for a lot of folks, and don't call me Surely, that was my father's name!

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Shirley you jest! :)

Dr. Pepper and John B Good like this.
  24. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

offED topic:
    JJ

25. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Shows like NCIS appeal to a much older demographic, the 60+ demo that actually bothers to watch TV when it's on. The Marvel shows mainly appeal to 18-35s who do NOT watch TV at broadcast time. This is not an excuse for stuff like Agents of Shield, but seriously: go into a Starbucks one of these days or an airport boarding lounge and see how many people my age (30) are watching Marvel shows on their iPads. I see this practically every day! Anecdotal, I know, but EVERYONE I know watches these shows, and no-one is watching them on Tuesday evening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.