Marvel’s Agent Carter

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by musicalbeds, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I enjoyed it. I hope it returns. I'm fine with the 8 episode season. Not much filler, if at all.

shokhead likes this.
  2. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

It was "okay". I actually enjoyed the pilot episode more than the rest. All that hypnotism stuff was just so silly and dated that it kept taking me out of the story...Focus...Focus...stretched credulity even for a comic book series.

I like the character, I like Atwell, but if it does get renewed they need a juicier more involved story...and the budget to take it outside the backlot occasionally.

3. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

You've gotta be kidding. These episodes had very large budgets! The period cars & costuming alone was far and above what most shows can afford.

Personally, I thought the whole thing was absolutely marvelous. Pun intended.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think it was expensive for a TV show (probably $3M+ per episode, which is par for the course), but people get so accustomed to the huge sets, vast crowds, and enormous effects that they see in feature films, it's hard for them to scale down their expectations for TV.

5. progrocker71

No, I'm not kidding. I just think it spent too much time in either the office, the automat, the boarding house or the backlot studio street. Agents Of Shield manages to get out on actual location more often than this show. (and yes, I'm aware of the difficulties of finding locations for a period show)

I am perfectly aware of the limitations of TV vs feature films, been an avid movie and TV fan for 40 years.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I enjoyed it more then I thought I would and I'm not comparing it to any other shows.

davenav likes this.
  7. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I liked it a lot. Hope the ratings were good enough for a second season.

8. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I assumed some of it was intentional. I like that the it was obviously a backlot.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And that's an insurmountable problem, particularly with cars, costumes, and buildings (satellite dishes, TV antennas, etc.) that didn't exist in 1946. Very, very tough to do a TV show set in the 1940s or 1950s. Frank Darabont's 1940s-era TV show Mob City had similar challenges, but I think they had a much bigger budget and more time to pull it off. Even then, it was a huge bomb, getting no ratings during its brief run on TNT a couple of years ago. From a production point of view, the costumes, sets, and locations looked great.

10. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

but this is an alternate universe period show so you can throw all that out of the window !

11. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

There was plenty of location work, and specially-built sets for individual episodes. The castle in the Howling Commandos episode, two different boarding houses, the new apartment in the final episode, etc.

But, the point of the whole thing was to evoke the 1940's style of movie-making, and that means more of a studio look, rather than the location-heavy look. It carried on with the same aesthetic as the 1st Captain America movie, which is entirely appropriate, and lends continuity to the whole thing.

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Ultimately, for me, it kept getting more ridiculous and was just "okay." It had lame villains and really mediocre acting. I'll probably skip a second season.

13. shokhead

I thought the acting was suppose to be as it was.

14. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I think this show had a few lumps in terms of tone and story structure, but a lot of creativity. I watched one of the episodes after having seen The Imitation Game and I remember being struck by how expressive the cinematography and editing of Agent Carter was by comparison to the very workmanlike feature film.

The last three episodes were very strong. To me, the highlight of the series was Shea Whigham as the chief (Chief Whigham??!!) -- he started out doing an Edward G. Robinson thing but he was actually quite soulful in the second-to-last episode.

It's not a completely satisfying show, but a compelling diversion that's mostly very well made and pretty crisply written.

davenav, dkmonroe and Veltri like this.
  15. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I really enjoyed the season, and agree about the Chief. The last episode lost something without him.

Maggie likes this.
  16. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

"I expected better" says the mega-lightning ultra babe Russian assassin, who is then dispatched through a convenient window by a lazy kick from
    Agent Busty Carter.

Kinda sums up the anticlimactic finale for me.

--Geoff

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Any news on another season??

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Interesting because the Chief's personality, actions, style. . . these were among the least interesting aspects of the show for me.

jriems likes this.
  19. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

My wife and I feel exactly the same way. We liked him in Boardwalk Empire, but felt he was playing pretty much the same character in Agent Carter, and it just didn't seem to fit. His acting in the last episode was the best performance of his for the entire season, and I feel he went out with a well-acted bang. :thumbsup:

Vidiot likes this.
  20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I thought that of all the transparent misogynists of the show (and I don't begrudge the fact that there were so many - it was difficult but seemed not unrealistic), he was the least offensive. He seemed to me like he was more fixated on the mission whereas others would have thrown everything in the swill just to keep Peggy from getting a look in. And his death scene genuinely made me tear up - the thought that he grieved so much over his broken relationship with his family, and he would never get a chance to make it right. Fennhoff dangled that hope in front of him like a carrot, then used it to destroy him.

21. progrocker71

Rest easy Peggy Carter fans, the show has been renewed for season 2. Agents of SHIELD was also renewed.

22. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Great news.

davenav likes this.
  23. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

First episode at last shown in the UK. Really enjoyed it with its mixture of action and humour and its ties to the Marvel films. Pleased it has been renewed with a new season.

jriems likes this.
  24. shokhead

25. shokhead

Hey, just saw a commercial for it. A 2hr show on Jan.5th. Cool!

jriems likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.